From: "Frans Goddijn" <frans@goddijn.com>
Subject: Re: Installation blues
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 01:07:11 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Magnus,

I had exactly the same problems recently when I wanted to upgrade from my
existing old ConTeXt setup to an fpTeX installation from the TeXLive CD.

The default path of c:\program files\... gave me severe stomach ache and
some heart flutters as well.
In autoexec.bat this became c:\progra~1\.. etcetera. Nothing was found
because it wasn't where fpTeX expected it to be.

I re-installed it (first hand-deleted the previous installation) and then
manually chose c:\TeXLive\ as installation path instead of the default.

This helped tremendously.

After that there were only minor glitches, the only big one was installing
"my" font but an expert helped me solve that and most users won;t have that
problem at all. Anotherw as that some programs installed from the WWW were
not on their specified locations anymore. That was the case for WinEdt which
is worthwile to find and install from http://www.winedt.com/ -- it is not
only and editor but it can be used as ready-to-run commander for the fpTeX
installation (only the button for ConTeXt is not built in right away).

Let us know how you're doing! I want to document my own installation better
and do the same install (maybe tomorrow) on my other PC so I'll get a bit of
routine.

Good luck!  Frans