* long texexec run
@ 2001-10-10 11:00 Karsten Hachmeister
From: Karsten Hachmeister @ 2001-10-10 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I updated my MiKTeX distribution and after that the texexec execution takes
a long time. In my document there are 10 pages and only one picture and it
takes about a minute to compile. Now there are often the following lines and
they take a long time. There are more of these lines with other font names.

typescript     : [mono] [courier] [name]
(D:\Programme\MikTeX\tex\context\base\type-syn.tex)
(D:\Programme\MikTeX\tex\context\base\type-enc.tex)
(D:\Programme\MikTeX\tex\context\base\type-siz.tex)
(D:\Programme\MikTeX\tex\context\base\type-map.tex)
(D:\Programme\MikTeX\tex\context\base\type-spe.tex)
(D:\Programme\MikTeX\tex\context\base\type-exa.tex)

I think, before I updated there were not these lines and the time was only a
few seconds.

Can anyone explain to me the meaning of that?

TeXExec version: 2.5
TeXUtil version: 7.3

Karsten

* Re: long texexec run
@ 2001-10-10 13:53 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <006501c151bf$2bb37870$695f298d@fhwolfenbuettel.de>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-10 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 01:00 PM 10/10/2001 +0200, Karsten Hachmeister wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I updated my MiKTeX distribution and after that the texexec execution takes
>a long time. In my document there are 10 pages and only one picture and it
>takes about a minute to compile. Now there are often the following lines and
>they take a long time. There are more of these lines with other font names.
>
>typescript     : [mono] [courier] [name]
>(D:\Programme\MikTeX\tex\context\base\type-syn.tex)
>(D:\Programme\MikTeX\tex\context\base\type-enc.tex)
>(D:\Programme\MikTeX\tex\context\base\type-siz.tex)
>(D:\Programme\MikTeX\tex\context\base\type-map.tex)
>(D:\Programme\MikTeX\tex\context\base\type-spe.tex)
>(D:\Programme\MikTeX\tex\context\base\type-exa.tex)
>
>I think, before I updated there were not these lines and the time was only a
>few seconds.
>
>Can anyone explain to me the meaning of that?

here you see the new typescript layer in action

i wonder what goes wrong in your situation, since going from a few seconds
to a minute is not what i observe here [typescripts are slightly slower in
startup but when typefaces are used, the font switching is much faster].

How fast is your machine ?

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: long texexec run
       [not found]   ` <006501c151bf$2bb37870$695f298d@fhwolfenbuettel.de>
@ 2001-10-11  7:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-11  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:09 PM 10/10/2001 +0200, Karsten Hachmeister wrote:
>Hi,
>
> > How fast is your machine ?
>
>I am using a 700MHz Pentium III here. I reinstalled now an old version of
>miktex because of some other problems, but now I can give you some times:
>on the older miktex version the texexec run needed about 10 - 14 sec and
>with the new version I needed 66 - 68 sec for one texexec run.
>
>Another problem is that when I use TeXnicCenter to create my documents I get
>the error: texexec.ini not found
>The file exists and from the command line I can use the texexec command.
>This might be an error in TeXnicCenter, but with the older MiKTeX version I
>have no problems.

The number of pages per second depends on the complexity of the page.
Documents with many menus (screen docs) and backgrounds that change per
page take more time.

on my 1 gig laptop:

172 page mathml   manual (many buffers, color, xml included)    : 36 sec
  37 page examlpe  manual (xml, color, backgrounds, menus)       : 18 sec
(13 sec in automp mode)
  76 page mathml   manual typeset as verbatim listing            :  5 sec
  75 page show-pre manual (372 pdf images+2 mp runs+fancy stuff) : 20 sec
(18 sec in batch mode)

so, i think that there is something wrong with your setup. since
texexec.ini cannot be found (you can try texexec --verbose to get more
info) it looks like a file search problem.

@ 2001-10-11 10:41       ` Karsten Hachmeister
From: Karsten Hachmeister @ 2001-10-11 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> The number of pages per second depends on the complexity of the page.
> Documents with many menus (screen docs) and backgrounds that change per
> page take more time.

My pages have nearly no text. I am preparing my document and I want to learn
how the things work in ConTeXt so it can't be the reason for the long time

> 172 page mathml   manual (many buffers, color, xml included)    : 36 sec
>   37 page examlpe  manual (xml, color, backgrounds, menus)       : 18 sec
> (13 sec in automp mode)
>   76 page mathml   manual typeset as verbatim listing            :  5 sec
>   75 page show-pre manual (372 pdf images+2 mp runs+fancy stuff) : 20 sec
> (18 sec in batch mode)

This sounds good, hopefully I can get this speed for my distribution, too.

> so, i think that there is something wrong with your setup. since
> texexec.ini cannot be found (you can try texexec --verbose to get more
> info) it looks like a file search problem.

I made a run with the command "texexec --verbose" and that is the result:

 TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001

     locating ini file : kpsewhich not found in path
     locating ini file : found by searching
               reading : D:\Programme\texmf\context\/config/texexec.ini
               setting : 'TeXShell' to 'miktex' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en de nl uk' for 'all'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'tex' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpExecutable' to 'mpost' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpToTeXExecutable' to 'mpto' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviToMpExecutable' to 'dvitomp' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviSpecialScript' to 'dvispec' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpFormat' to 'metafun' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXFormatFlag' to '&' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpFormatFlag' to '&' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXFontsPath' to
'D:\Programme\texmf;D:\localtexmf;' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'pdfetex' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'TeXVirginFlag' to '--initialize' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'TeXPassString' to '--alias=context' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'TeXBatchFlag' to '--interaction=batchmode' for
'miktex'
               setting : 'MpToTeXExecutable' to 'mptotex' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'MpVirginFlag' to '--initialize' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'MpPassString' to '--alias=mpost' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'MpBatchFlag' to '--interaction=batchmode' for
'miktex'

               setting : 'TeXFormatFlag' to '--undump=' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'MpFormatFlag' to '--undump=' for 'miktex'

          used setting : TeXShell = miktex
          used setting : SetupPath =
          used setting : UserInterface = en
          used setting : UsedInterfaces = en de nl uk
          used setting : TeXFontsPath = D:\Programme\texmf;D:\localtexmf;
          used setting : MpExecutable = mpost
          used setting : MpToTeXExecutable = mptotex
          used setting : DviToMpExecutable = dvitomp
          used setting : TeXProgramPath =
          used setting : TeXFormatPath =
          used setting : ConTeXtPath =
          used setting : TeXScriptsPath =
          used setting : TeXExecutable = pdfetex
          used setting : TeXVirginFlag = --initialize
          used setting : TeXBatchFlag = --interaction=batchmode
          used setting : MpBatchFlag = --interaction=batchmode
          used setting : TeXPassString = --alias=context
          used setting : TeXFormatFlag = --undump=
          used setting : MpFormatFlag = --undump=
          used setting : MpVirginFlag = --initialize
          used setting : MpPassString = --alias=mpost
          used setting : MpFormat = metafun
          used setting : FmtLanguage =
          used setting : FmtBodyFont =
          used setting : FmtResponse =
          used setting : TcXPath =

                --help   show this or more, e.g. '--help interface'

I don't know which settings are important that it works fine. In the file
texexec.ini I changed the line
    set  TeXFontsPath       to  l:/tex/texmf;l:/tex/texmf-local;
to this:
    set  TeXFontsPath       to  D:\Programme\texmf;D:\localtexmf;

Karsten Hachmeister

* Re: long texexec run
@ 2001-10-11 11:37         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-10-11 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Wild guess: are you sure you still have ls-R databases since your upgrade?
for fptex, run "mktexlsr" to make sure.

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:41:22 +0200, "Karsten Hachmeister" <K.Hachmeister@FH-Wolfenbuettel.DE> wrote:

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: long texexec run
@ 2001-10-11 12:29           ` Karsten Hachmeister
From: Karsten Hachmeister @ 2001-10-11 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> Wild guess: are you sure you still have ls-R databases since your upgrade?
> for fptex, run "mktexlsr" to make sure.

MiKTeX updates the database after each MiKTeX update. I made a manual update
of the database too, but it has no effekt.

(D:\Programme\texmf\tex\context\base\type-syn.tex)
(D:\Programme\texmf\tex\context\base\type-enc.tex)
(D:\Programme\texmf\tex\context\base\type-siz.tex)
(D:\Programme\texmf\tex\context\base\type-map.tex)
(D:\Programme\texmf\tex\context\base\type-spe.tex)
(D:\Programme\texmf\tex\context\base\type-exa.tex)

Each of theses lines above takes nearly one second. There are many of them.
I don't know exactly for what these lines are, but they appear every time I
process my document. Is this normal or should they appear only once like
creating of fonts?

Karsten

* Re: long texexec run
@ 2001-10-11 14:49             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-11 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:29 PM 10/11/2001 +0200, Karsten Hachmeister wrote:
>Hi,
>
> > Wild guess: are you sure you still have ls-R databases since your upgrade?
> > for fptex, run "mktexlsr" to make sure.
>
>MiKTeX updates the database after each MiKTeX update. I made a manual update
>of the database too, but it has no effekt.
>
>(D:\Programme\texmf\tex\context\base\type-syn.tex)
>(D:\Programme\texmf\tex\context\base\type-enc.tex)
>(D:\Programme\texmf\tex\context\base\type-siz.tex)
>(D:\Programme\texmf\tex\context\base\type-map.tex)
>(D:\Programme\texmf\tex\context\base\type-spe.tex)
>(D:\Programme\texmf\tex\context\base\type-exa.tex)
>
>Each of theses lines above takes nearly one second. There are many of them.
>I don't know exactly for what these lines are, but they appear every time I
>process my document. Is this normal or should they appear only once like
>creating of fonts?

Which version of context do you run? One sec on a 700 mhz machine is far
too much; does it make a difference if you copy these files to the local
path?

@ 2001-10-11 20:02               ` Karsten Hachmeister
From: Karsten Hachmeister @ 2001-10-11 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> Which version of context do you run? One sec on a 700 mhz machine is far
> too much; does it make a difference if you copy these files to the local
> path?

ConTeXt  ver: 2001.7.11  fmt: 2001.10.11  int: english  mes: english

You are right, if I copy the context files in the directory of my document
it runs much faster.

--
Karsten

* Re: long texexec run
@ 2001-10-12  6:59                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-12  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:02 PM 10/11/2001 +0200, Karsten Hachmeister wrote:
>Hi,
>
> > Which version of context do you run? One sec on a 700 mhz machine is far
> > too much; does it make a difference if you copy these files to the local
> > path?
>
>ConTeXt  ver: 2001.7.11  fmt: 2001.10.11  int: english  mes: english
>
>You are right, if I copy the context files in the directory of my document
>it runs much faster.

so there is a miktex file searching problem; make sure that you create the
miktex file database and set up texexec.ini to miktex; if i'm right some
time ago there have been changes in the miktex file database part (maybe
other miktex users can be of more help).

@ 2001-10-12  9:16                   ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-10-12  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I started using context with miktex 2.1, then switched to fptex. I remember
that I was surprised about the fact that my documents compile significantly
faster with fptex. I can't tell the exact difference (perhaps 1,5--2 times
faster), nor the reason, but maybe you want to try it.

Eckhart

* Re: long texexec run
@ 2001-10-12  9:50                     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-10-12  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

IIRC, miktex uses the registry for all sorts of things. So perhaps cleaning
the registry might help (well, that would mean re-installing windows I guess)?

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: long texexec run
@ 2001-10-12 14:07                     ` Karsten Hachmeister
From: Karsten Hachmeister @ 2001-10-12 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> I started using context with miktex 2.1, then switched to fptex. I
remember
> that I was surprised about the fact that my documents compile
significantly
> faster with fptex. I can't tell the exact difference (perhaps 1,5--2 times
> faster), nor the reason, but maybe you want to try it.

Now I installed fptex and created my document. Here are some times:

After reinstalling MikTeX: 35 seconds (probably file searching problem)
If I copy context files in my document folder: 9 seconds
with fptex: 4 seconds

I also posted in the MiKTeX Mailinglist and hope someone can tell me how to
setup MiKTeX correctly.

Karsten