* Hiding words
@ 2001-01-28  8:30 Johannes H?sing
From: Johannes H?sing @ 2001-01-28  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

it is known to me that you can hide blocks from the text so that they
are not processed. Is it possible to hide just the appearance of the
words, so something like

\hidetext{Meta} is a lioness.

would appear as

     is a lioness.

and not as

is a lioness.

I would like to write a lecture script with some spaces left blank so
the students can fill them out.

Greetings

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing <hannes@ruhrau.de>   /"\  ASCII-Ribbon Campaign
                                     \ /  against HTML in

* Re: Hiding words
@ 2001-01-28 10:14 ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-01-28 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

try

\phantom{Meta} is a lioness.

Frans

* Re: Hiding words
@ 2001-01-28 22:06 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-28 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:30 AM 1/28/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>it is known to me that you can hide blocks from the text so that they
>are not processed. Is it possible to hide just the appearance of the
>words, so something like
>
>\hidetext{Meta} is a lioness.
>
>would appear as
>
>     is a lioness.
>
>and not as
>
>is a lioness.
>
>I would like to write a lecture script with some spaces left blank so
>the students can fill them out.

There are some specific commands for that, see core-rul.tex and search for
fillin; else follow Frans's suggestion of phantom.

if you want a low level example:

\enablemode[ShowSolution]

\def\GuessWhat#1%
  {\underbar{\bf\doifmodeelse{ShowSolution}{#1}{\hphantom{#1}}}}

bla bla \GuessWhat{blabla} bla bla

now, guess what happens with \disablemode[ShowSolution]

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl