* Context equivalent to \kern-1pt
@ 2000-11-18  9:58 Maarten Wisse
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Maarten Wisse @ 2000-11-18  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Still working on the birth announcement. I tried to do some manual kerning
tweaking on some of the characters, and I used \kern to achieve this.
However, this low level command seems (I quite sure about that) to influence
the allignment of the paragraph, which is centered by
\steluitlijnenin[midden] in the preamble.
So, my question is easy: is there a high level command in ConTeXt which does
manaual kerning and doesn't affect allignment?
Thanks for your comments,

Maarten Wisse

P.S. Just a note which might be interesting for ConTeXt users. Hans uses
Lucida fonts quite frequently, but they are not free. Now, in XFree86 4.0,
the new version of Windows which is used on Linux distributions, Y&Y has
freely provided a font called Lucidux which is a clone of Lucida. Make tfm
and vf out of that, and you have at least Lucida, Lucida Bright and Lucida
Sans. Nice for presentations for instance. Just change the presentation
style file to Lucidux and it's fixed.

http://profiles.msn.com.

* Re: Context equivalent to \kern-1pt
@ 2000-11-18 11:17 ` siepo
From: siepo @ 2000-11-18 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Nov, Maarten Wisse wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Still working on the birth announcement. I tried to do some manual
> kerning tweaking on some of the characters, and I used \kern to
> achieve this. However, this low level command seems (I quite sure
> about that) to influence the allignment of the paragraph, which is
> centered by
> \steluitlijnenin[midden] in the preamble.
> So, my question is easy: is there a high level command in ConTeXt
> which does manaual kerning and doesn't affect allignment? Thanks for
> your comments,
>

> Maarten Wisse
>
> P.S. Just a note which might be interesting for ConTeXt users. Hans
> uses Lucida fonts quite frequently, but they are not free. Now, in
> XFree86 4.0, the new version of Windows which is used on Linux
> distributions, Y&Y has freely provided a font called Lucidux which is
> a clone of Lucida. Make tfm and vf out of that, and you have at least
> Lucida, Lucida Bright and Lucida Sans. Nice for presentations for
> instance. Just change the presentation style file to Lucidux and it's
> fixed.

The Type1 versions of the Lucida fonts come with StarOffice 5.2, which
is free.

Siep

* Re: Context equivalent to \kern-1pt
@ 2000-11-19 15:33 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-19 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:58 AM 11/18/00 GMT, Maarten Wisse wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Still working on the birth announcement. I tried to do some manual kerning
>tweaking on some of the characters, and I used \kern to achieve this.
>However, this low level command seems (I quite sure about that) to influence
>the allignment of the paragraph, which is centered by
>\steluitlijnenin[midden] in the preamble.
>So, my question is easy: is there a high level command in ConTeXt which does
>manaual kerning and doesn't affect allignment?
>Thanks for your comments,

Kern can be horizontal as well as vertical, so it depends a bit. Can you
give a simple example of how you are using it [given that the baby is not
yet born]?

>P.S. Just a note which might be interesting for ConTeXt users. Hans uses
>Lucida fonts quite frequently, but they are not free. Now, in XFree86 4.0,
>the new version of Windows which is used on Linux distributions, Y&Y has
>freely provided a font called Lucidux which is a clone of Lucida. Make tfm
>and vf out of that, and you have at least Lucida, Lucida Bright and Lucida
>Sans. Nice for presentations for instance. Just change the presentation
>style file to Lucidux and it's fixed.

Interesting. We need to look into that. The best way to handle this is

\definefontsynonym [LucidaBright] [Lucidux]

or whatever the names are, so, what are the names of the files?

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Lucida Bright fonts (was Re: Context equivalent to \kern-1pt)
@ 2000-11-21 16:16   ` Christopher Tipper
From: Christopher Tipper @ 2000-11-21 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> > Maarten Wisse
> >
> > P.S. Just a note which might be interesting for ConTeXt users. Hans
> > uses Lucida fonts quite frequently, but they are not free. Now, in
> > XFree86 4.0, the new version of Windows which is used on Linux
> > distributions, Y&Y has freely provided a font called Lucidux which is
> > a clone of Lucida. Make tfm and vf out of that, and you have at least
> > Lucida, Lucida Bright and Lucida Sans. Nice for presentations for
> > instance. Just change the presentation style file to Lucidux and it's
> > fixed.
>
> The Type1 versions of the Lucida fonts come with StarOffice 5.2, which
> is free.
>
> Siep

I've taken about 8 minutes looking at this issue with StarOffice 5.2 on windows, and it's not quite true. Certainly when I distill documents, Lucida comes out in native Type 1 in the output pdf's, but further investigation suggests that they start life as TrueType .ttf files, which of course lack ligatures and proper font-hinting. From what I can gather, StarOffice relies heavily on the JRE, which seems to have a bunch of classes to convert TrueType to Type1 "on-the-fly". Maybe somebody could correct me on this? Maybe different on Unices?

Christopher

* Re: Lucida Bright fonts
@ 2000-11-21 18:45     ` Christopher Tipper
From: Christopher Tipper @ 2000-11-21 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

A case of wishful thinking I think. Lucida Bright .pfb's are _not_ distributed with StarOffice 5.2 on windows. Another reason to decamp to Linux? :-)

Christopher

* Re: Context equivalent to \kern-1pt
@ 2000-12-13 10:46   ` Balazs Nagy
From: Balazs Nagy @ 2000-12-13 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 04:33:17PM +0100, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 09:58 AM 11/18/00 GMT, Maarten Wisse wrote:
> >
> >P.S. Just a note which might be interesting for ConTeXt users. Hans uses
> >Lucida fonts quite frequently, but they are not free. Now, in XFree86 4.0,
> >the new version of Windows which is used on Linux distributions, Y&Y has
> >freely provided a font called Lucidux which is a clone of Lucida. Make tfm
> >and vf out of that, and you have at least Lucida, Lucida Bright and Lucida
> >Sans. Nice for presentations for instance. Just change the presentation
> >style file to Lucidux and it's fixed.
>
> Interesting. We need to look into that. The best way to handle this is
>
> \definefontsynonym [LucidaBright] [Lucidux]
>
> or whatever the names are, so, what are the names of the files?

file        font name

lcdxmo.pfa  LuciduxMono-Oblique
lcdxmr.pfa  LuciduxMono
lcdxro.pfa  LuciduxSerif-Oblique
lcdxrr.pfa  LuciduxSerif
lcdxso.pfa  LuciduxSans-Oblique
lcdxsr.pfa  LuciduxSans
--
Nagy Balazs, LSC
http://www.lsc.hu/

* Re: Context equivalent to \kern-1pt
@ 2000-12-13 15:04 ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-12-13 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maarten wrote on Samstag, 18. November 2000 10:58:

>P.S. Just a note which might be interesting for ConTeXt users. Hans uses
>Lucida fonts quite frequently, but they are not free. Now, in XFree86 4.0,
>the new version of Windows which is used on Linux distributions, Y&Y has
>freely provided a font called Lucidux which is a clone of Lucida. Make tfm
>and vf out of that, and you have at least Lucida, Lucida Bright and Lucida
>Sans. Nice for presentations for instance. Just change the presentation
>style file to Lucidux and it's fixed.

Unfortunately this fonts have some gaps.  Especially the german quotes are
not there.  But there are other versions of Lucida family freely available.

StarOffice 5.2 (5.1?) comes with a great load of them.  And in the "West"
variants also the german quotes are present.  Maybe it is possible to make
a patchwork font with the help of virtual fonts.

Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/