From: "Jannie Hofmeyr" <jhsh@iafrica.com>
Subject: Setting up Context under MikTeX
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:50:04 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear list-members

I am trying to set up Context under MikTeX. I have copied the latest
distribution into my texmflocal tree, edited texexec.ini, created the
texexec,
texwork and texutil binaries from runperl.exe and put them in my path with
the perl scripts and texexec.ini.

The 'used setting' part of the output of "texexec --verbose" is:

  used setting : TeXShell = miktex
  used setting : SetupPath = c:/texmflocal/tex/context/config
  used setting : UserInterface = en
  used setting : UsedInterfaces = en,nl,de,uk
  used setting : MpExecutable = mpost
  used setting : MpToTeXExecutable = mpto
  used setting : DviToMpExecutable = dvitomp
  used setting : TexProgramPath =
  used setting : TeXFormatPath = c:/texmflocal/miktex/fmt
  used setting : ConTeXtPath = c:/texmflocal/tex/context/base
  used setting : TeXScriptsPath = c:/texmflocal/context/perltk
  used setting : TeXExecutable = pdftex
  used setting : TexVirginFlag = -ini
  used setting : TeXFormatFlag = &

Format creation was successful. However, when I run a sample context file
(interact.tex from samples.zip), the texexec script stumbles on creation of
the cont-opt file.
The following is an excerpt from the log file:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-13d (MiKTeX 1.20e (Snapshot build 150))
(preloaded format=cont-en 1999.11.27)  27 NOV 1999 22:32
**&c:/texmflocal/miktex/fmt/cont-en interact
(interact.tex[pdftex.cfg]

system         : cont-opt loaded
(./cont-opt.tex)
! I can't write on file `cont-opt.tex'.
<to be read again>
                   \immediate
\next ...write =\f!optfilename \immediate
                                          \write \scratchwrite {\texc...
<everyjob> ...enutilities \loadoptionfile
                                          \loadtwopassdata \setupfoot...
l.1
    % Interactive documents
Please type another output file name: [HERE I JUST ENTER RETURN OR ANY NAME]
(./interact.tuo) (./interact.tuo) (./interact.tuo) (./interact.tuo)
(./interact.tuo) (./interact.tuo) (./interact.tuo) (./interact.tuo)
(./interact.tuo)
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki is reset
specials       : loading definition file tpd
(C:\texmflocal\tex\context\base\spec-tpd.tex
systems        : please update your pdfTeX binaries
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(C:\texmflocal\tex\context\base\spec-fdf.tex <unprotect 2> <unprotect 3>
<protect 3> <protect 2>)
specials       : fdf loaded
<unprotect 2> <protect 2>)

Interact.pdf is successfully created, but I cannot figure out why the perl
script
has a problem with cont-opt.tex. When I press enter without a filename
cont-opt is created with the content:

  \unprotect
  \setupsystem[\c!gebied={c:/texmflocal/tex/context/config/}]
  \protect

If I enter foo, then foo.tex with the same content is created.

Can anyone help? (I downloaded all the mailing list headers
but could not find anything that looked as if it may help me).

Another question. Is the miktex pdfTex binary a "pdfeTex" version? I see in
the
log file a polite request for me to update my pdfTeX binaries (I currently
am on
13d).

Thanks for the help.

Jannie Hofmeyr