* list-like environments
@ 2000-08-08 20:14 siepo
From: siepo @ 2000-08-08 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the Context analogue for the LaTeX \newenvironment? And is
there something like defineitemize[name][parameters]?

Siep Kroonenberg

* Re: list-like environments
@ 2000-08-09 11:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-08-09 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:14 PM 8/8/00 +0200, siepo@client44-3.kabelA.oprit.rug.nl wrote:
>What is the Context analogue for the LaTeX \newenvironment? And is

There is \definestartstop; for usage see the exampe i made for wybo.

\setuplayout[width=100mm]

\let\normalbegin\begin

\let\complexbegin\normalbegin

\def\simplebegin#1%
  {\getvalue{start#1}\bgroup
   \def\end##1{\egroup\getvalue{stop##1}}}

\definecomplexorsimple \begin

\definedescription
  [description]
  [location=hanging,
   margin=standard,
   headstyle=bold]

\definestartstop
  [descriptions]
  [before=\blank\startpacked,
   after=\stoppacked\blank,
   commands=\let\item\description]

\starttext

\dorecurse{10}{This one is for Wybo. }

\startdescriptions

\description {aap:} is a monkey, but much more can be told
about this animal;s for example they are hairy, mostly
brown or black and they resemble people a lot.

\item {noot:} is a vegetable; again there are many kinds
and you will get very fat if you eat lots of them.

\startdescription {this is a rather long item:}

it is not very interesting in itself, but gives me the
opportunity to tell you something about the description
environment: it is like an itemize, but with user-supplied
labels which are printed bold.

\stopdescription

\stopdescriptions

\dorecurse{10}{This one is for Wybo. }

\begin{descriptions}

\item {aap:} is a monkey, but much more can be told
about this animal;s for example they are hairy, mostly
brown or black and they resemble people a lot.

\item {noot:} is a vegetable; again there are many kinds
and you will get very fat if you eat lots of them.

\item {this is a rather long item:} it is not very
interesting in itself, but gives me the opportunity to tell
you something about the description environment: it is like
an itemize, but with user-supplied labels which are printed
bold.

\end{descriptions}

\dorecurse{10}{This one is for Wybo. }

\stoptext

>there something like defineitemize[name][parameters]?

Not yet, but it's on my to do list, since I sometimes need it too.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: list-like environments
@ 2000-08-09 18:45   ` siepo
From: siepo @ 2000-08-09 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen writes:
 > At 10:14 PM 8/8/00 +0200, siepo@client44-3.kabelA.oprit.rug.nl wrote:
 > >What is the Context analogue for the LaTeX \newenvironment? And is
 >
 > There is \definestartstop; for usage see the exampe i made for wybo.
 >
 > \setuplayout[width=100mm]
 >
 > \let\normalbegin\begin
 >
 > \let\complexbegin\normalbegin
 >
 > \def\simplebegin#1%
 >   {\getvalue{start#1}\bgroup
 >    \def\end##1{\egroup\getvalue{stop##1}}}
 >
 > \definecomplexorsimple \begin
 >
 > \definedescription
 >   [description]
 >   [location=hanging,
 >    margin=standard,
 >    headstyle=bold]
 >
 > \definestartstop
 >   [descriptions]
 >   [before=\blank\startpacked,
 >    after=\stoppacked\blank,
 >    commands=\let\item\description]
 >
 > \starttext
 >
 > \dorecurse{10}{This one is for Wybo. }
 >
 > \startdescriptions
 >
 > \description {aap:} is a monkey, but much more can be told
 > about this animal;s for example they are hairy, mostly
 > brown or black and they resemble people a lot.
 >
 > \item {noot:} is a vegetable; again there are many kinds
 > and you will get very fat if you eat lots of them.
 >
 > \startdescription {this is a rather long item:}
 >
 > it is not very interesting in itself, but gives me the
 > opportunity to tell you something about the description
 > environment: it is like an itemize, but with user-supplied
 > labels which are printed bold.
 >
 > \stopdescription
 >
 > \stopdescriptions
 >
 > \dorecurse{10}{This one is for Wybo. }
 >
 > \begin{descriptions}
 >
 > \item {aap:} is a monkey, but much more can be told
 > about this animal;s for example they are hairy, mostly
 > brown or black and they resemble people a lot.
 >
 > \item {noot:} is a vegetable; again there are many kinds
 > and you will get very fat if you eat lots of them.
 >
 > \item {this is a rather long item:} it is not very
 > interesting in itself, but gives me the opportunity to tell
 > you something about the description environment: it is like
 > an itemize, but with user-supplied labels which are printed
 > bold.
 >
 > \end{descriptions}
 >
 > \dorecurse{10}{This one is for Wybo. }
 >
 > \stoptext
 >

 > >there something like defineitemize[name][parameters]?
 >
 > Not yet, but it's on my to do list, since I sometimes need it too.
 >
 > Hans
 >                                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
 >                       Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
 >  tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

The example above seems to illustrate rather more points than
just \definestartstop. Nevertheless, thanks.

Another point: is somebody willing to take the trouble to give me a
complete rundown of all the parameters of \setupitemize and
\setupenumerations? I have been playing around a bit with these
commands but am not making much headway; many parameters don't seem to
have any effect at all.

In particular, I want to make numbered and bulleted lists in which the
number or bullet is formatted as a run-in head, and items are
separated by vertical space.

Siep

* Re: list-like environments
@ 2000-08-09 22:11     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-08-09 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Siep,

>Another point: is somebody willing to take the trouble to give me a
>complete rundown of all the parameters of \setupitemize and
>\setupenumerations? I have been playing around a bit with these
>commands but am not making much headway; many parameters don't seem to
>have any effect at all.
>In particular, I want to make numbered and bulleted lists in which the
>number or bullet is formatted as a run-in head, and items are
>separated by vertical space.

I'll send you a file with some patched macros. Let me know if that is ok so
that I can merge it in (after next week). If this dies not run, also use
the core-itm.tex from the beta, since i added some more options a month or
so ago [paragraph and auto concat of \item \startitemize [discussed some
time ago here]]

\starttext

\setupitemize[1][width=1em][intext]
\setupitemize[2][width=1em][packed]

\startitemize

\item test test test test test test test test test test
test test test test test test test test test test test test
test test test test test

\startitemize \item test \item test \stopitemize

\item test test test test test test test test test test
test test test test test test test test test test test test
test test test test test

\stopitemize

\stoptext

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* installing
@ 2000-08-10 18:09       ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-10 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I've got a problem installing ConTeXt on a new machine.

If I do

texexec --make

I get the message:

format cont-nl not found in fmtutil.cnf

and the same for the other languages.

On my home machine, ConTeXt is working fine but on this newer machine that I often work on, I had no TeX at all so it was about time
I installed it. On such a virgin machine it is a rough ride for me to remember where I got all that stuff from way back when I
installed it first... Here's what i did:

I got ActivePerl (and first the windows installer and the extra MS DCOM drivers) and after I installed that at least PERL was found.

Then I downloaded the FPtex package using the WGET utility (on the FPtex homepage a pointer was leading towards a site that was off
line so I got WGET.EXE elsewhere after searching AltaVista for it)

Then I got the ConteXt zipfiles, unpacking them in the TeX tree.

I copied runperl.exe and texexec.ini and texexec.pl and texutil.pl to the \bin\win32 directory

And I can't figure ut what I missed...

Any suggestions?

Groet!

Frans

frans@goddijn.com   www.goddijn.com
tel NL 0621-815 881   fax: 026-3211759
Postbus 30196      6803 AD  Arnhem NL

> >Another point: is somebody willing to take the trouble to give me a
> >complete rundown of all the parameters of \setupitemize and
> >\setupenumerations? I have been playing around a bit with these
> >commands but am not making much headway; many parameters don't seem to
> >have any effect at all.
> >In particular, I want to make numbered and bulleted lists in which the
> >number or bullet is formatted as a run-in head, and items are
> >separated by vertical space.
>
> I'll send you a file with some patched macros. Let me know if that is ok so
> that I can merge it in (after next week). If this dies not run, also use
> the core-itm.tex from the beta, since i added some more options a month or
> so ago [paragraph and auto concat of \item \startitemize [discussed some
> time ago here]]
>
> \starttext
>
> \setupitemize[1][width=1em][intext]
> \setupitemize[2][width=1em][packed]
>
> \startitemize
>
> \item test test test test test test test test test test
> test test test test test test test test test test test test
> test test test test test
>
> \startitemize \item test \item test \stopitemize
>
> \item test test test test test test test test test test
> test test test test test test test test test test test test
> test test test test test
>
> \stopitemize
>
> \stoptext

>                                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>                       Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>  tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* Re: installing
@ 2000-08-10 18:23         ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2000-08-10 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Frans Goddijn <frans@iaf.nl> writes:

> If I do
>
> texexec --make
>
> I get the message:
>
> format cont-nl not found in fmtutil.cnf
> And I can't figure ut what I missed...
>
> Any suggestions?

Did you uncomment the context formats you're interested in in the
fmtutil.cnf file?  If not, try uncommenting cont-en, cont-nl, etc.

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* Re: installing
@ 2000-08-10 18:24         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-08-10 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:09 PM 8/10/00 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:

>format cont-nl not found in fmtutil.cnf

Locate fmtutil.cnf in your texmf tree and uncomment the context related
lines.

>and the same for the other languages.

You may try: texexec --alone --make

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* PS
@ 2000-08-10 18:49       ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-10 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

a PS to my earlier mail: I did delete the # at the beginning of the lines about context in the fmtutil.cnf files in both the
directories (the default and the local dir)

Groet!

@ 2000-08-10 18:55           ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-10 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans, that worked!

> Locate fmtutil.cnf in your texmf tree and uncomment the context related
> lines.

did that, forgetting to mention it here...

> You may try: texexec --alone --make

Excellent! Do I need to use that --alone switch on other ocasions as well, or could I have done it better so that the switch
wouldn't have been necessary?

Groet and thanks again,

Frans

* Re: installing
@ 2000-08-10 19:44             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-08-10 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:55 PM 8/10/00 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>Thanks Hans, that worked!
>
>> Locate fmtutil.cnf in your texmf tree and uncomment the context related
>> lines.
>
>did that, forgetting to mention it here...
>
>> You may try: texexec --alone --make
>
>Excellent! Do I need to use that --alone switch on other ocasions as well,
or could I have done it better so that the switch
>wouldn't have been necessary?

--alone bypasses fmtutil

this can be tricky on unix systems where file permissions and so need to be
set etc etc etc. therefore it's no default; i need the --alone for my own
system which has several trees and mixed windows/unix versions.

if you have the latest beta, you may also try

texexec --make --alone metafun

if that works too, you're up to date.

make sure you run mktexlsr too, since that is normally handled by fmtutil.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: installing
@ 2000-08-17 12:54               ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-17 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

> --alone bypasses fmtutil

but shouldn't I have MTUTIL working on this system if I downloaded all ConTeXt and FPtex and PERL installs fresh off the web last
week?

> if you have the latest beta, you may also try
>
> texexec --make --alone metafun
>
> if that works too, you're up to date.

Then I guess I am not, even though i took the ConTeXt off the pragma-ade web site. Should I have specifiaclly looked for "latest
beta"?

I get the respons that cont-metafun is not found...

groet!

Frans