* Re: RME and INI
@ 2003-10-06 11:18 Pawel Jackowski na Onet
From: Pawel Jackowski na Onet @ 2003-10-06 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again

October 06, 2003 9:18 AM
Pawel wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> TEXEXEC documentation and self documented 'texexec.rme' file says that it
> should be copied to 'texexec.ini'. First of all; I have two 'texexec.rme'
in
> TeX tree; first in
>
>     ...TeX/context/config
>
> the second in
>
>     ...TeX/context/perltk

Of course should be '...TeX/texmf/context/config' and
'...TeX/texmf/context/perltk' respectively. Sorry for that.

Monday, October 06, 2003 11:17 AM
Patrick Gundlach:

> What system are you using?

I'm  using the same TeX installation for both windows and linux (common
texmf tree and binaries based on TeXLive7 distribution). The main adventage
is that I come across each problem only ones :-)

October 06, 2003 11:37 AM
George N. White III:

>Did you run mktexlsr?

Ok, sorry for that stupid mistake. After updating base, 'texexec.ini' is
taken into account insead of 'texexec.rme'.

But I still can't get an idea of copying '.rme' to '.ini' since '.rme' file
can be read as well. Is that an easy way to save orginal config file
untouched?

The reason I'm so persistant to solve that (probably not crucial) problem is
that I'm still spying another problem -- generating format with proper
default font information (as described in details in other threads). I
thought that texexec config file(s) may be important at that point. But
after copying 'texexec.rme' to 'texexec,ini', changing some defaults, like

     set  FmtLanguage to  pl
     set  FmtBodyFont to  plr

and updating ls-R, the problem still appear, means that format generated
with proper command

    texexec --make --language=pl,en --bodyfont=plr en

doesn't use the proper default font.... So I'm afraid it's not the solution.

Thanks anyway, Pawe/l

* bodyfont plr
@ 2003-10-06 11:38 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-10-06 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Pawel Jackowski na Onet" <jackos1@poczta.onet.pl> writes:

[...]

> The reason I'm so persistant to solve that (probably not crucial) problem is
> that I'm still spying another problem -- generating format with proper
> default font information (as described in details in other threads). I
> thought that texexec config file(s) may be important at that point. But
> after copying 'texexec.rme' to 'texexec,ini', changing some defaults, like
>
>      set  FmtLanguage to  pl
>      set  FmtBodyFont to  plr
>
> and updating ls-R, the problem still appear, means that format generated
> with proper command
>
>     texexec --make --language=pl,en --bodyfont=plr en
>
> doesn't use the proper default font.... So I'm afraid it's not the solution.

I just did a quick test:

texexec --make --alone --bodyfont=plr en

and then run a simple tex file (\starttext \input tufte \stoptext)

gave me an error that plr12 could not be found. So I guess it now
uses plr as a default. But I am not sure.

When you are using your setup, does plr12 get included in your
document?

Patrick
--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: bodyfont plr
@ 2003-10-06 16:00   ` Pawel Jackowski na Onet
From: Pawel Jackowski na Onet @ 2003-10-06 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject: [NTG-context] bodyfont plr
(default font)

> "Pawel Jackowski na Onet" <jackos1@poczta.onet.pl> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > The reason I'm so persistant to solve that (probably not crucial)
problem is
> > that I'm still spying another problem -- generating format with proper
> > default font information (as described in details in other threads). I
> > thought that texexec config file(s) may be important at that point. But
> > after copying 'texexec.rme' to 'texexec,ini', changing some defaults,
like

> >      set  FmtLanguage to  pl
> >      set  FmtBodyFont to  plr
> >
> > and updating ls-R, the problem still appear, means that format generated
> > with proper command
> >
> >     texexec --make --language=pl,en --bodyfont=plr en
> >
> > doesn't use the proper default font.... So I'm afraid it's not the
solution.

> I just did a quick test:
>
> texexec --make --alone --bodyfont=plr en
>
> and then run a simple tex file (\starttext \input tufte \stoptext)
>
> gave me an error that plr12 could not be found. So I guess it now
> uses plr as a default. But I am not sure.
>
> When you are using your setup, does plr12 get included in your
> document?

When I use format generated during first context installation, everything
works fine, means that context use plr by default. However this quite old
format contains only pl-hyphenation patterns.
For a couple of weeks I had been trying hard to generate format with
additional hyphenation patterns AND plr as default font. But each attempt
gave me a format which use cmr by default. Of course when I included i.e
plr10 definition in tex code or input some pl-oriented typescript,
everything was ok since I have correclty instaled and configured pl-fonts.
But default was still cmr, not plr.

I've just tried to generate format with additional option '--alone' (as in
your quick test) and that was the solution! Generated format uses the proper
default font now. Actually I didn't know that texexec uses 'fmtutil' by
default while generating formats (is there any special reason for that?...).
My problem shows that texexec (its self) is able to generate format in more
reliable way :)

Anyway Thank You Very Much For That Hint!

Regards, Pawe/l

* Re: RME and INI
@ 2003-10-06 17:06 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-10-06 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Montag, 06.10.03, um 13:18 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Pawel
Jackowski na Onet:
> But I still can't get an idea of copying '.rme' to '.ini' since '.rme'
> file
> can be read as well. Is that an easy way to save orginal config file
> untouched?

.rme is overwritten at each update, your manually adapted .ini stays.

> and updating ls-R, the problem still appear, means that format
> generated
> with proper command
>     texexec --make --language=pl,en --bodyfont=plr en
> doesn't use the proper default font.... So I'm afraid it's not the
> solution.

I think you must change that in cont-usr.tex (copy from cont-usr.ori,
same reason).
This file resides in texmf/tex/context/base.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: RME and INI
@ 2003-10-06 17:50   ` Pawel Jackowski na Onet
From: Pawel Jackowski na Onet @ 2003-10-06 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Montag, 06.10.03, um 13:18 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Pawel

>> But I still can't get an idea of copying '.rme' to '.ini' since '.rme'
>> file
>> can be read as well. Is that an easy way to save orginal config file
>> untouched?

>.rme is overwritten at each update, your manually adapted .ini stays.

So that is the answer! Thanks a lot.

>> and updating ls-R, the problem still appear, means that format
>> generated
>> with proper command
>>     texexec --make --language=pl,en --bodyfont=plr en
>> doesn't use the proper default font.... So I'm afraid it's not the
>> solution.

>I think you must change that in cont-usr.tex (copy from cont-usr.ori,
>same reason).
>This file resides in texmf/tex/context/base.

I have tested a lot of modifiction of 'cont-usr.tex' (without effects)...
About two hours ago (following Patrick's hint) I added '--alone' option
while generating format and than bad dream disappeared. The conclusion is
that (probably) bypassing fmtutil in such special cases makes format
generating more reliable. Probably the best (quite advanced) way is to
generate 'strange' formats using directly 'tex_engine --ini ...' command,
but I'm not sure if I can generate proper context format in this way. I'm
afraid it's not my ligue yet :-]

Thanks, Pawe/l

* Re: RME and INI
@ 2003-10-06  9:37 George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2003-10-06  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Pawel Jackowski na Onet wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> TEXEXEC documentation and self documented 'texexec.rme' file says that it
> should be copied to 'texexec.ini'. First of all; I have two 'texexec.rme' in
> TeX tree; first in
>
>     ...TeX/context/config
>
> the second in
>
>     ...TeX/context/perltk
>
> Files looks to be identical but and the second location has a priority. But
> which location is more convenient for texexec config file?

You should put 'texexec.ini' in a "local" tree, e.g., texmf-local, so it
is easy to find when you upgrade, e.g., "texmf-local/context/config"

> The second question is WHY I have to copy 'texexec.rme' to 'texexec.ini'? If
> I do so and change some settings in 'texexec.ini' and than run
> 'texexec --verbose', I can see that settings are still taken from
> 'texexec.rme'. Could You tell me what is the point in copying RME to INI and
> when INI file is used instead RME?

Did you run mktexlsr?  What do you get from: 'kpsewhich -progname=context
-format="other text files" texexec.ini'?

--
George N. White III  <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>

* Re: RME and INI
@ 2003-10-06  9:17 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-10-06  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> Files looks to be identical but and the second location has a priority. But
> which location is more convenient for texexec config file?

I put mine in a path that never gets touched by an update of ConTeXt.
So I don't have to worry about it.

> The second question is WHY I have to copy 'texexec.rme' to 'texexec.ini'? If
> I do so and change some settings in 'texexec.ini' and than run
> 'texexec --verbose', I can see that settings are still taken from
> 'texexec.rme'. Could You tell me what is the point in copying RME to INI and
> when INI file is used instead RME?

Please post the relevant output (the few lines) of texexec --verbose

What system are you using?

please run:
kpsewhich --format="other text files" -progname=context texexec.rme
kpsewhich --format="other text files" -progname=context texexec.ini

if you are using a web2c based system (tetex, texlive, fptex...)

Patrick

--
You are your own rainbow!

* RME and INI