* newbie question about xml
@ 2004-02-17 21:35 Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2004-02-17 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

It would be wonderful if I could find an easy way to translate my
ConTeXt source-files to html. So I was wondering if going via xml would
be a viable method. Unofrtunately, I know next to nothing about xml. I
played a bit with Emacs nxml mode and tried to understand "xml in
context," but a couple of stupid questions remain:

1) even with specialized tools like onyx or Emacs xml mode, will
writing these source files ever be as easy as writing TeX-source? Is it
worth the extra effort?

2) Can anybody point me to an example document written in xml that can
be processed by ConTeXt?

3) If I understand "xml in context" correctly, one has to specify quite
a few of the xml commands in a dtd so ConTeXt understands them. I had a
look at x-contml.tex to see what such definitions should look like. So
I wonder: if I have to tell ConTeXt about these commands anyway,
wouldn't it be easier to simply write a perl script that does these
conversions and translates TeX into xml?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but these are my very first attempt
at xml.

All best

Thomas

* Re: newbie question about xml
@ 2004-02-19 15:01 ` Christopher G D Tipper
From: Christopher G D Tipper @ 2004-02-19 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It would be wonderful if I could find an easy way to translate my
> ConTeXt source-files to html. So I was wondering if going via xml would

XML in Context is designed for those who plan to set up an XML workflow, and need PDF output. Certainly I use example, but as part of existing workflow starting from XML source. I use XSLT to produce HTML, and Context offers no help here. There was some discussion on this list about adapting T4Ht for Context before Christmas, so check the mailing list.

> 3) If I understand "xml in context" correctly, one has to specify quite
> a few of the xml commands in a dtd so ConTeXt understands them. I had a

Use a header file with your example commands in it. A DTD is used for parsing XML, and is really if different ball-game.

Christopher