* Umlaute ...
@ 2001-09-09 15:22 Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2001-09-09 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Since I am using CONTEXT Icoded all files with accented characters in the
following way:

   \'e or \"a ....

Since the indtroduction of the new font mechaninsm however I get errors in
the pdf-files, ending up with empty pages.

If I write text where the accented characters are placed like this:

   ï, ä, ë

then I have no problems.

The mentioned problem occurs with texnansi and ec encoded fonts like
Palatino.

Is there anybody who already had this and can give me a tip how to solve it?

Greetings Willi

* Re: Umlaute ...
@ 2001-09-10 21:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-10 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:22 PM 9/9/2001 +0200, Willi Egger wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Since I am using CONTEXT Icoded all files with accented characters in the
>following way:
>
>    \'e or \"a ....
>
>Since the indtroduction of the new font mechaninsm however I get errors in
>the pdf-files, ending up with empty pages.
>
>If I write text where the accented characters are placed like this:
>
>    ï, ä, ë
>
>then I have no problems.
>
>The mentioned problem occurs with texnansi and ec encoded fonts like
>Palatino.
>
>Is there anybody who already had this and can give me a tip how to solve it?

This is strange since \"e becomes \eumlaut and this is mapped onto a glyph
number; are you sure that pdftex does not report a missing map file?

for fonts you need:

(1) tfm/vf files
(2) type1 (pfb) files
(3) a map file
(4) to let context know what input/output encoding you use

when using fonts that match your key codes it may go well without noticing
that in fact the system is set up wrong [this is i thing one reason for
frequent errors in files

So, try to determine what happens with 1-4; especially (3) is organized
rather messy in tex distributions due to incompatibilities in map files
between dvips and pdftex and dvipdfm [currently texfont handles pdftex and
i will handle the others later]

It can be very illustrative to say \showfont[Serif] so that you get an idea
what font is used in what encoding. One reason to change context's defaults
to more verbose low level font names is to catch problems like this.

[in a couple of days you may test the next beta, which is now fully 'new
name' aware and [when set up ok] handles all map files itself. in that case
you can generate all metrics you need for a specific encoding with one command]

[there are some remaining problems that i want to discuss with thanh first]

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl