From: "Mats Broberg" <mats.broberg@arsimprimispress.com>
Subject: RE: ConTeXt output & commercial printing houses
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:01:03 +0200	[thread overview]

Matt,

Being a newbie when it comes to ConTeXt, but having worked in the
commercial printing busines for a decade, I would say that the majority
of printers actually prefer PDF files rather than Quark, InDesign or
Pagemaker files. At least that is the case in Europe, and it would
suprise me if it is not the same situation in USA.

The reason for this is that the printers get away from all the
associated problems with the DTP program files: typfaces that are
lacking, missing image links, text that may reflow etc.

However, a caveat emptor:

- I don't quite understand how ConTeXt:ers deal with solid PMS spot
colours - i.e. not a spot colour in CMYK mode where the spot colour is
made up of a screened colour mix of cyan, magenta, yellow and black, but
a colour that you want to print with a specially mixed Pantone PMS ink
from an additional printing plate (apart from the four C, M, Y, K
process plates). However, this is frequently done in printing, so it
would surprise me if ConTeXt didn't have a solution for it.

- Also, I don't know whether it is possible to downsample images in
PDF's that you generate from ConTeXt. If it is, avoid it. The printer
expects CMYK images (not RGB!) where the resolution is approx. 2 times
the screen count in the final print, @ the physical size on the paper.
So if you have an image in your PDF that is 10 cms /4 in. wide, and you
want it printed in a 150 lpi (lines per inch) screen, make sure the
original resolution is 300 dpi @ 10 cms / 4 in.

All the best,
Mats Broberg