* Something changed with \index command
@ 2000-10-06 19:20 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-10-06 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello All,

For some time I've noticed that the behaviour of the \index command
seems to have changed (perhaps I'm mistaken).

Things as:

	my hello\index{hello} world program.

do not work as the space after \index is eaten. I now need to write:

	my hello\index{hello}{} world program.

Is this a bug or am I simply mistaken that previous behaviour was
different?

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Something changed with \index command
@ 2000-10-07 22:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-07 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:20 PM 10/6/00 +0200, Berend de Boer wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>For some time I've noticed that the behaviour of the \index command
>seems to have changed (perhaps I'm mistaken).

I checked an old archive and nothing seems to be changed. This is rather
old code btw.

>Things as:
>
>	my hello\index{hello} world program.
>
>do not work as the space after \index is eaten. I now need to write:
>
>	my hello\index{hello}{} world program.
>
>Is this a bug or am I simply mistaken that previous behaviour was
>different?

The \index command has always eaten up spaces and pars. This means that in

\section{Did you know that Berend}

\index{de Boer}

is a clever programmer.

the \index write node will not interfere and the index indeed is attached
to the right location.

Also think of:

bla \index{well} theindexbelongstothisword

where the long work ends up on the next page. So:

abc \index{def} ghi == abc \index{def}ghi

with the following alternative:

\def\complexdoregister[#1]#2% just an example, this code will not be used
  {\doprocesspageregister[#1]{#2}%
   \ifvmode\nobreak\expandafter\GotoPar\fi}

the space is obeyed but I prefer the method where the index *precedes* the
word since it's more secure.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Something changed with \index command
@ 2000-10-09 18:45   ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-10-09 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> the space is obeyed but I prefer the method where the index *precedes* the
> word since it's more secure.

Forgot that, that's indeed the way I used to write indexes, thanks.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-: