* btw
@ 2003-03-06  9:55 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-06  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

about descriptions: for the moment, use \\ to force a break

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* RE: btw
@ 2003-03-06 10:00 ` Martin Kolarík
From: Martin Kolarík @ 2003-03-06 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

ok.

* Re: BTW
@ 2000-11-26 13:23       ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-11-26 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frans Goddijn wrote:
> that's what's Hans is working on for ConTeXt as well. And once that's done,
> I am sure ConTeXt will do a better job on hypenation and justification than
> the ugly results we see in many of today's newspapers.

Most papers are done with QuarkPressSystem, I think,
and Qaurk is known for really bad hyphenation routines!

(In my book there were only a few hyph errors, and they
were only "wrong" for deo, that is, unreformed german.)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://angerweit.tikon.ch/lieder/
http://www.planet-interkom.de/fiee.visuelle/formelsammlung.html

* Re: BTW
@ 2000-11-25 19:04           ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2000-11-25 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Christopher Tipper, ConTeXt

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> At 04:40 PM 11/24/00 -0000, Christopher Tipper wrote:
> >> And even though 3B2 may be very good for heavy duty newspaper typesetting,
> >> that's what's Hans is working on for ConTeXt as well. And once that's done,
> >> I am sure ConTeXt will do a better job on hypenation and justification than
> >> the ugly results we see in many of today's newspapers.
> >
> >Try it yourself guys! http://www.originalab.se/onlinebook/
> >
> >line-breaking sucks...
>
> Well, after some java hacking it worked. Needs some applets. Actually, I do
> have a prototype running on our server, kind of choose your layout and get
> it sent thing. Never finished it. BTW, we do have a big two years old
> internal publishing on demand doc made in tex: select pages, it auto
> selects associated pages, send the fdf file to a server and get docs back.
> Unfortunately it's to big to upload, otherwise I would put it on our server
> since it's a nice demo of what tex could do a few years back already. Maybe
> i'll do it some time. [i need a kind of permanent connection for it]

The first test I did with this kind of stuff is still online at this
    http://www.coe.uga.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/ecashin/test/pdftest.cgi

We've been using this kind of dynamic document generation at the
University of GA College of Education for a couple of years now.

Some examples are in this paper:

    http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/papers/workflow.pdf

Most of it is plain TeX coupled with MetaPost, but I bet ConTeXt would
give faster results than the online 32B demo.

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* Re: BTW
@ 2000-11-24 17:34         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-24 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

@ 2000-11-24 16:40       ` Christopher Tipper
From: Christopher Tipper @ 2000-11-24 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> And even though 3B2 may be very good for heavy duty newspaper typesetting,
> that's what's Hans is working on for ConTeXt as well. And once that's done,
> I am sure ConTeXt will do a better job on hypenation and justification than
> the ugly results we see in many of today's newspapers.

Try it yourself guys! http://www.originalab.se/onlinebook/

line-breaking sucks...

Christopher

* Re: BTW
@ 2000-11-24 15:44     ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-11-24 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Taco ist completely right.

He often is ;=}}

> TeX (ConTeXt) ist just the right thing for us print industry
professionals;
> but most of us like "WYSIWYG" too much...

And even though 3B2 may be very good for heavy duty newspaper typesetting,
that's what's Hans is working on for ConTeXt as well. And once that's done,
I am sure ConTeXt will do a better job on hypenation and justification than
the ugly results we see in many of today's newspapers.

Frans

* Re: BTW
@ 2000-11-24 15:32   ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-11-24 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frans Goddijn wrote:
> office clerks into TeX users. TeX is not comparable to those applications.
> A package like 3B2 is much closer, Taco said.

Taco ist completely right.
TeX (ConTeXt) ist just the right thing for us print industry professionals;
but most of us like "WYSIWYG" too much...

Another competitor is LinoSetting (I learned it a bit at
vocational school).

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

@ 2000-11-24 15:30 ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-11-24 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I once read mention of 3B2 by Taco Hoekwater, when there was a discussion
about the software that TeX is competing with. The idea was we shouldn't
want to try to convert typical WORD or WP using typists / secretaries /
office clerks into TeX users. TeX is not comparable to those applications.
A package like 3B2 is much closer, Taco said.

> The big difference: 3B2 costs 10.000 Euro for the single
> user license!! The automatable (Perl-Skripts?) Server-Version
> costs 25-000 Euro.

;=}} smart marketing!

frans

* BTW
@ 2000-11-24 15:14 Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-11-24 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just read an article in "Druck & Medien Magazin"
about Advent's 3B2:
That's an command based typesetting system, used
mainly for newspapers, catalogues, telephone books
etc.
The description sounds very similar to the feature
list of ConTeXt (aside of the Windows/X user interface).
It works mostly with XML input (ConTeXt will soon, wouldn't it?)

The big difference: 3B2 costs 10.000 Euro for the single
user license!! The automatable (Perl-Skripts?) Server-Version
costs 25-000 Euro.

I'm happy with my cheap TeX! ;-)

(To be fair: 3B2 is made for very high performance, needed
by big newspapers etc.)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---