* longtable and tabularx in context
@ 1999-08-11 15:01 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-08-11 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 1: I'm trying to find out how to make long tables (several pages) in
>    context. The table manual tells me to add u in the \BeginTable
>    command. But if I add that one to \starttable is doesn't recognize
>    it.

Try using \starttables .. \stoptables

However, for longer tables you probably are better of using the tabulate
environment. That one works fine.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: longtable and tabularx in context
@ 1999-08-14 11:14           ` Wybo Dekker
From: Wybo Dekker @ 1999-08-14 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans Hagen wrote:
> > \repeat[80*{just some text before the table}]
>
> More robust is:
>
> \dorecurse{80}{whatever}
> \dostepwiserecurse{1}{80}{2}{whatever}
> \doloop{whatever ..... \exitloop ....}
>
> There is always \recurselevel and when used nested \recursedepth. (When
> you want to manipulate: take a look at syst-gen.tex and syst-ext.tex,
> they also provide you with quite some \doif.. things).

Thanks, I'll try.

> > but that resulted in an error:
> > ! Extra \fi.
> > l.13 \repeat
> >             [80*{just some text before the float.  just some text before the...
>
> ah yes, \repeat, that's why recurse is better.

Perhaps you'd better remove from the manual then?

> > Now here's my example:
>
> I'll do a bit of testing.
>
> BTW, I've just finished a new command that can be used for legends to
> figures and tables, the better alternative for footnotes I think. More
> later.

Sounds interesting!

--
Hartelijke groet, Wybo
--

* Re: longtable and tabularx in context
@ 1999-08-14  8:26         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-08-14  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Wybo Dekker wrote:

> Hans Hagen wrote:
> > \startpostponing
> > whatever
> > \stoppostponing
>
> That *does* postpone the start of the table to the next page indeed,
> but the splitting doesn't work well: the first page of the table shows
> a much smaller part of it than is available on the page and leaves the
> rest of the page empty. Please try the example below. Sorry for it
> being so long, I tried tried to use:
>
> \repeat[80*{just some text before the table}]

More robust is:

\dorecurse{80}{whatever}
\dostepwiserecurse{1}{80}{2}{whatever}
\doloop{whatever ..... \exitloop ....}

There is always \recurselevel and when used nested \recursedepth. (When
you want to manipulate: take a look at syst-gen.tex and syst-ext.tex,
they also provide you with quite some \doif.. things).

> but that resulted in an error:
> ! Extra \fi.
> l.13 \repeat
>             [80*{just some text before the float.  just some text before the...

ah yes, \repeat, that's why recurse is better.

> Now here's my example:

I'll do a bit of testing.

BTW, I've just finished a new command that can be used for legends to
figures and tables, the better alternative for footnotes I think. More
later.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: longtable and tabularx in context
@ 1999-08-13 15:45       ` Wybo Dekker
From: Wybo Dekker @ 1999-08-13 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans Hagen wrote:
> \startpostponing
> whatever
> \stoppostponing

That *does* postpone the start of the table to the next page indeed,
but the splitting doesn't work well: the first page of the table shows
a much smaller part of it than is available on the page and leaves the
rest of the page empty. Please try the example below. Sorry for it
being so long, I tried tried to use:

\repeat[80*{just some text before the table}]

but that resulted in an error:
! Extra \fi.
l.13 \repeat
            [80*{just some text before the float.  just some text before the...

Now here's my example:

%format=en
\starttext
\repeat[80*{just some text before the float.  just some text before the float.}]
[...]

\splitfloat{\placefigure[top]{this is a floating table}}{
  \starttables[|lp(50mm)|l|]
  \NC \startitemize[packed]
      \item first item
      \item second item
      \item third item
      \item last item
      \stopitemize
                       \NC right column text \NC\MR
  \NC left column text \NC right column text \NC\MR
[...]
  \stoptables
}
\stoppostponing
just some text after the float just some text after the float
just some text after the float just some text after the float
\stoptext

--
Hartelijke groet, Wybo
--

@ 1999-08-12 21:17     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-08-12 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hai Wybo,

> Sure, that worked, partly. However, my table started near the end of
> the page, so I added [top] to \placefigure, supposing that context
> would decide to start it at top of the next page. Instead, it started
> on the *same* page, with the result that the *few* lines that
> initially fitted at the end were now (equally few) at the top. With
> the result that the floating table became interspersed with (large
> amounts of) normal text.

This is behaviour I like (and I think is to be expected).  You can force a
page break with \page[yes] (? \pagina[ja]).

> Are footnotes possible in tables? I tried, but a footnote between a
> non-floating \starttable appeared on the next page, and one in
> \splitfloat{}{\starttables... didn't appear at all, although its
> marker did.

You can set them below the table with \startlokalevoetnoten (probably
\startlocalfootnotes)  .. \stoplokalevoetnoten.

@ 1999-08-12 19:10     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-08-12 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Wybo Dekker wrote:

> Sure, that worked, partly. However, my table started near the end of
> the page, so I added [top] to \placefigure, supposing that context

The savest way to handle that is to surround that what should go to the
top of the next page by

\startpostponing
whatever
\stoppostponing

> I downloaded the manual (4.4 MB) from the context download page, but
> it says nothing about starttabellen or starttabulate. The tran-script
> doesn't know about starttabulate. So where do I find this beta manual?

tabulate is a composed command the beta manual is at the beta page at
our site

quicky: www.pragma-ade.nl/beta.htm

> Are footnotes possible in tables? I tried, but a footnote between a
> non-floating \starttable appeared on the next page, and one in
> \splitfloat{}{\starttables... didn't appear at all, although its
> marker did.

Footnotes are trouble makers. Their showing up depend on tex's mood, in
the sense that when buried to deep, they (actually any insert) will
never show up.

%D \start
%D \startlocalfootnotes[breedte=.3\hsize,n=0]
%D   \plaatstabel
%D     {Some Table}
%D     \plaatsonderelkaar
%D       {\starttabel[|l|r|]
%D        \HL
%D        \VL Nota\voetnoot{Bene} \VL Bene\voetnoot{Nota} \VL\SR
%D        \VL Bene\voetnoot{Nota} \VL Nota\voetnoot{Bene} \VL\SR
%D        \HL
%D        \stoptabel}
%D       {\placelocalfootnotes}
%D \stoplocalfootnotes
%D \stop

This is one way out. With splits ... I never tested this but I fear it
does not work, although \placelocalfootnotes let them show up, so you
can use that one to put them somewhere.

Like columns, footnotes (inserts actually) are the weakest parts of tex.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: longtable and tabularx in context
@ 1999-08-12 12:40   ` Wybo Dekker
From: Wybo Dekker @ 1999-08-12 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

@ 1999-08-11 15:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-08-11 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wybo Dekker wrote:

> 1: I'm trying to find out how to make long tables (several pages) in
>    context. The table manual tells me to add u in the \BeginTable
>    command. But if I add that one to \starttable is doesn't recognize
>    it.

Use \starttables \stoptables instead. You can also say:

\splitfloat
  {\placefigure{caption}}
  {whatever to be split}

or:

\startbuffer
\startables[preamble]
\stoptables
\stopbuffer

\splitfloat{\placefigure{caption}}{\getbuffer}

Subnumbers are automatically appended. See core-tab.tex (of beta manual)
for more info.

When nu vertical rules are used, it's better to use \starttabulate ...
\stoptabulate, see latest maps. Tabulations automatically break across
pages, even p entries are split. I'm working on color in tabulations.

> 2: is there a way to expand tables horizontally by expanding (the
>    contents of) only certain columns like latex's tabularx?

When you use \starttabulate ... \stoptabulate, the p entries (there can
be multiple p entries and I will implement width ratios soon) will
divide the available space.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* longtable and tabularx in context