* clipping a MetaPost graphic
@ 2003-04-12 17:48 Severin Obertuefer
From: Severin Obertuefer @ 2003-04-12 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi all

I made a MetaPost graphic and I want to use this graphic for a background.
The graphic is too large and I want to clip it to the size of 84mm width and
54mm height. With
"clip currentpicture to unitsquare xyscaled (86mm,54mm)"

I get the size I wanted but the clipped field should be placed in the center
of the currenpicture. I tried:

"clip currentpicture to unitsquare xyscaled (86mm,54mm) shifted center
boundingbox currentpicture"

but that became not the effect I wanted.How can I shift the clipping area to
the center of the currenpicture?

thx for help

severin

* Re: clipping a MetaPost graphic
@ 2003-04-13 15:45 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-04-13 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Severin,

I don't know if my solution is clever or even working for you, but
since I did not find any answer, this hack might be better then
nothing:

path clippath;
clippath:= unitsquare xyscaled (8cm,8cm) ; % your size here
clip currentpicture to clippath shifted - .5urcorner(clippath);

I hope that the MP-experts shout out loud and show (me) a nicer
solution.

Patrick

* Re: Re: clipping a MetaPost graphic
@ 2003-04-13 16:48   ` Severin Obertuefer
From: Severin Obertuefer @ 2003-04-13 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Patrick

thx for help, but something with your solutin is wrong.
the clipped picture is to small after clipping.
But I found out something that does the thing I wantet, it looks like this:

path c; c:= unitsquare xyscaled (86mm,54mm) ;

clip currentpicture to c shifted (center currentpicture-center c);

thanks anyway :), greez severin

@ 2003-04-13 18:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-13 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 19:48 12/04/2003 +0200, Severin Obertuefer wrote:
>hi all
>
>I made a MetaPost graphic and I want to use this graphic for a background.
>The graphic is too large and I want to clip it to the size of 84mm width and
>54mm height. With
>"clip currentpicture to unitsquare xyscaled (86mm,54mm)"

   xysized(...,...)

since xyscaled depend to much on the curren dimensions

>I get the size I wanted but the clipped field should be placed in the center
>of the currenpicture. I tried:
>
>"clip currentpicture to unitsquare xyscaled (86mm,54mm) shifted center
>boundingbox currentpicture"

   currentpicture := currentpicture shifted -center currentpicture ;

or

   currentpicture := currentpicture shifted - llcorner currentpicture ;

may help, depending on where your ref point is located

first shift, them clip to fullsquare (instead of unitsquare)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl