From: "Giuseppe Bilotta" <oblomov@freemail.it>
Subject: Re: Footnotes in footnotes
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:42:36 +0100	[thread overview]

> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > \footnotemark
> > \footnotetext
> >
> > the most natural names for this?

Taco Hoekwater answered

> Here is what I think is the most sensible approach, based on current
> context behaviour, which is:
>
> \footnote does three things:
>
> 1. typeset a reference in the text
> 2. typeset the number in front of the footnote
> 3. typeset the footnote text
>
> Parts 2 and 3 are done by one macro (\dostartfootnote), and it is
> currently not possible to change
> that behaviour.
>
> \note does only the first thing:
>
> 1. typeset a reference in the text
>

> LaTeX's \footnotemark/\footnotetext uses a somewhat different approach.
>
> Proposed extension:
>
> a) Make a new user command \footnotetext, that only does 2. and 3.
>
>    \footnote then basically becomes
> \def\footnote[#1]#2{\footnotetext[#1]{#2}\note[#1]}

...which allows for nested footnotes without having to worry about a
\postponefootnotes ... in the sense that \footnote itself should set a variable,
and if the variable is already set, it should automatically trigger
\postponefootnotes too.

Talking about weird request ... this also gave me the idea that you can let two
footnotes have the same number:

\starttext
Let's put a footnote\footnote[ref]{this is a footnote.} and another
footnote\note[ref] that is the same as the previous.
\stoptext

(ok, that's probably no news for anybody, but it is for me ... :-))

Giuseppe Bilotta

Using Microsoft products is like having sex
without condoms--but less pleasurable