From: "Frans Goddijn" <frans@iaf.nl>
Subject: Re: installing fonts...
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 07:46:39 +0100	[thread overview]

When I wanted to use my own Times font (also bought at www.fontshop.nl)
including so called "expert sets" with real small caps and old style
numbers, it didn't take Taco very long to produce the necessary files
(font-fg.tex for the bodyfont setup and an fg.map for mapping (whatever
that may be) and .tfm files and maybe even some .vf files.)

I still don't understand much about this font installing even though I
looked at these files often.

So I guess it depends on how much documentation you can find out there. If
you find out more I'd be interested because it might be fun to buy another
font sometime (and be able to actually use it ;-}} )

If I recall correctly Taco used some program (fontmonger?) to look into the
font files to see if all characters were at the places TeX would expect
them to be in and he did some resorting there. He remarked at the time that
my Times fonts had all the extra characters (punctuation, dashes et cetera)
that often are missing in other font files.

I'd say: either have a field trip finding it all out, or try to contact
Taco and be done with it ;-}}}

Groet!

Frans
www.goddijn.com