* synctex, TeXShop and \input files
@ 2017-09-28 14:44 Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2017-09-28 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Some time ago Hans added a new synctex command which seemed to work quite well: on a Mac running MacOS and TeXShop I could for instance click on a sentence in the PDF file produced by ConTeXt and the sentence was highlighted in the source file, even it were part of an \input file. For instance after typesetting the file:

%%% begin synctex-example.tex
\setupsynctex[state=start,method=max]
\starttext
\input knuth.tex
\hairline
\input ward.tex
\stoptext
%%% end synctex-example.tex

I could click on the sentence « The separation of any of these » in the PDF file and the file knuth.tex was opened and those words highlighted.

In the recent versions of ConTeXt (the latest being ConTeXt  version 2017.09.25 19:19 MKIV) this does not seem to work anymore. As a matter of fact even when the source file is not an \input file, the syncing between the PDF and the source does not work anymore.

So my questions are the following (the « or » below is a mathematical one…):

1) Has the \setupsynctex command changed recently?
2) Or am I having troubles with the latest version of TeXShop (version 3.88).
3) Or is there an issue with the MacOS I am using (version 10.13 Beta).

Thanks in advance for any kind of help.

Best regards: OK

* Re: synctex, TeXShop and \input files
@ 2017-09-28 17:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-09-28 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/28/2017 4:44 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some time ago Hans added a new synctex command which seemed to work quite well: on a Mac running MacOS and TeXShop I could for instance click on a sentence in the PDF file produced by ConTeXt and the sentence was highlighted in the source file, even it were part of an \input file. For instance after typesetting the file:
>
> %%% begin synctex-example.tex
> \setupsynctex[state=start,method=max]
> \starttext
> \input knuth.tex
> \hairline
> \input ward.tex
> \stoptext
> %%% end synctex-example.tex
>
> I could click on the sentence « The separation of any of these » in the PDF file and the file knuth.tex was opened and those words highlighted.
>
> In the recent versions of ConTeXt (the latest being ConTeXt  version 2017.09.25 19:19 MKIV) this does not seem to work anymore. As a matter of fact even when the source file is not an \input file, the syncing between the PDF and the source does not work anymore.
>
> So my questions are the following (the « or » below is a mathematical one…):
>
> 1) Has the \setupsynctex command changed recently?
> 2) Or am I having troubles with the latest version of TeXShop (version 3.88).
> 3) Or is there an issue with the MacOS I am using (version 10.13 Beta).
>
> Thanks in advance for any kind of help.
files in the tex tree (styles and such) are not accessible (protected)
as you don't want them to get messed up

Hans

* Re: synctex, TeXShop and \input files
@ 2017-09-28 19:30   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2017-09-28 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 28 Sep 2017, at 19:12, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> […]
> files in the tex tree (styles and such) are not accessible (protected) as you don't want them to get messed up

Sure, but my problem is that I have a document with five or six chapters. Each chapter is included in files which are named for instance
	chapter-1.tex
	chapter-2.tex
and so on.  Then my file main.tex contains the lines
	\input chapter-1.tex
	\input chapter-2.tex
and so on, in order to typeset the whole document. But now I don’t know how to sync the PDF file with the source files chapter-1.tex, chapter-2.tex, etc., in order to correct mistakes or mistypings when I discover them in the PDF file.
Clearly, the main file and these files are residing in the same directory.

Is there a way to tell context to look into the directory where the main file and my chapter files are?

Thanks a lot for your attention.

@ 2017-09-28 20:44     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-09-28 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/28/2017 9:30 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:

>> On 28 Sep 2017, at 19:12, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl
>> <mailto:pragma@wxs.nl>> wrote:
>>> […]
>> files in the tex tree (styles and such) are not accessible (protected)
>> as you don't want them to get messed up
>
> Sure, but my problem is that I have a document with five or six
> chapters. Each chapter is included in files which are named for instance
> chapter-1.tex
> chapter-2.tex
> and so on.  Then my file main.tex contains the lines
> \input chapter-1.tex
> \input chapter-2.tex
> and so on, in order to typeset the whole document. But now I don’t know
> how to sync the PDF file with the source files chapter-1.tex,
> chapter-2.tex, etc., in order to correct mistakes or mistypings when I
> discover them in the PDF file.
> Clearly, the main file and these files are residing in the same directory.
>
> Is there a way to tell context to look into the directory where the main
> file and my chapter files are?

it works here .. you can look in the synctex file to see if the files
get references

* Re: synctex, TeXShop and \input files
@ 2017-09-29  6:21       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2017-09-29  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the hint. Indeed every input file has got a reference in synctex file produced by ConTeXt.
(I noticed also that during the typesetting ConTeXt creates another file with a suffix syncctx which is wiped out at the end of the processinng).

On the other hand after reading your hint I tried the same files with another application, TeXWorks, and there the syncing works perfectly.
Therefore it seems that this is a problem with TeXShop and I am going to report a bug with Richard Koch.

Best regards: OK