From: "Egger" <egger-maissen@hetnet.nl>
Subject: Table of contents, loading figures, printing to pages A5 on a A4 singlesided
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:31:59 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear Hans,

I got three questions, which I was unable to solve myself, though I
struggeld several hours.....

I use your beta version of texexec in combination with the latest version of
a texlive installation. The output is a PDF file.

1. Table of contents

According to the manual it should be possible to create a table of contents
with the commands

\placecontents  and \completecontents. While it is possible to create the
first variant I get with the second command only a headerline like this:

[head: verzeichnis/en]

Because of trying to get this matter right, I used:

\definelist[chapter]
 \setuplist
         [chapter]
         [before=\blank,
          after=\blank,
          style=bold,
          alternative=b]

\definelist[section]
\setuplist
         [section]
         [alternative=b]

\definecombinedlist
         [verzeichnis]
         [chapter,section]
         [level=subsection]

\setupcombinedlist
         [verzeichnis]
         [alternative=b,
          width=.1\textwidth]

\starttext

\startfrontmatter
\completeverzeichnis
\stopfrontmatter

\input foo.tex

\stoptext

What is the reason for this malbehaviour?

2. Problem with figures

In my document I got several pictures (jpg-files) to be typeset.
I use the following coding:

In the masterfile:

\define[3]\putfigure
        {\placefigure
          [here,left]                   % location
          [fig:#1]                       % reference
          {#2}                            % caption
          {\externalfigure[#3]}  % reference to useexternalfigure
         }

In the input document:

\useexternalfigure
     [example1]
     [picture-a]
     [width=.4\textwidth]

\putfigure{example}{This is example A}{example1}

The output generated by using 'texexec --arrange masterfile'  results in a
pdf-file, where all figures are neatly placed, but the box contains the
message 'picture skipped'.

I tried to use texutil --figures *.jpg. The texutil.tuf file, but this did
not help. In the masterfile.log always it is stated, that the dimensions are
loaded from the original file. I believe that the files were indeed found by
the system.

I thought that Context would support the fileformat jpg? - How to solve
this?

3. Printing two pages of A5 on a A4 landscape, singlesided. The intention
was to print two pages and then to cut the A4 into two pieces.

I tried hard to find out how to perform this with my above mentioned
masterfile. What is the correct coding, if ever possible?
My last attempt was with:

\setuppapersize[A5][A4,rotated]
\setuparranging[2*2,rotated]
\setuppagenumbering[alternative=singlesided,location={header,marginedge}]

This results in  a booklet layout with the pagenumbering alternating and the
pages carry the headers alternating along the right and left edge of the
A4.....

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards Willi