* texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-18 21:18 Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2000-10-18 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel

When I run texexec on the file below, the mpgraph.mp file
is created, but not metaposted. I can call texexec as many
times as I want, it doesn't help. I have to call mpost
by hand and then it works. I have shell_escape = 1 if
that matters.

Thanks,

Denis

\starttext
\setupcolors[state=start]
\startuniqueMPgraphic{concept}
  draw btex \bf CONCEPT etex rotated 60 withcolor .8white;
  currentpicture := currentpicture ysized (\overlaywidth-.5cm);
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[concept][\uniqueMPgraphic{concept}]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=concept]

Some text Some text Some text Some text Some text Some text
Some text Some text

\stoptext

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-19  3:21 ` Mr. Wang Lei
From: Mr. Wang Lei @ 2000-10-19  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Denis B. Roegel wrote:

> When I run texexec on the file below, the mpgraph.mp file
> is created, but not metaposted. I can call texexec as many
> times as I want, it doesn't help. I have to call mpost
> by hand and then it works. I have shell_escape = 1 if

                      it should be "shell_escape = t"

You need set other environment as suggestted by hans
in metafun manual. you can see if you have set the following
in your cont-sys.tex:

   \runMPgraphicstrue
\runMPTEXgraphicstrue
  \recycleMPslotstrue
\useMETAFUNformattrue

You'd better set metapost command using texexec in you
texmf.cnf:

MPXCOMMAND = texexec --mptex
TEX = texexec --once --batch --nomp

You may need edit the texexec.ini, too. comment the
corresponding line which set the MpToTeXExecutable
to mptotex. for example, if you use tetex, comment
the line:

for  tetex  set  MpToTeXExecutable to  mptotex

Hans, I have not find the excutable command named
"mptotex" both in tetex and fptex. They only have
"mpto". Another problem is that if I set the output
default is pdftex in my cont-usr.tex, texexec will
give a "can not found tmpgraphic.1" message if I
use \btex ... \etex in the metapost figure. because
the part in \btex ... \etex will be processed by
texexec and give a pdf output, so there is no dvi
and can not generate tmpgraphic.1 which needed by
mptopdf.

Wang

Mr. Wang Lei                      Phone: 86-10-62541687
Institute of Applied Mathematics  Email: lwang@amath8.amt.ac.cn
Chinese Academy of Science        Address: P.O.Box 2734, Beijing, 100080

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-19  9:04   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-19  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel, NTG-ConTeXt

At 11:21 AM 10/19/00 +0800, Mr. Wang Lei wrote:

>Hans, I have not find the excutable command named
>"mptotex" both in tetex and fptex. They only have
>"mpto". Another problem is that if I set the output

right, on tetex/fptex it's mpto while in some other distributions mptotex.

>default is pdftex in my cont-usr.tex, texexec will
>give a "can not found tmpgraphic.1" message if I
>use \btex ... \etex in the metapost figure. because

Ah, that's a good point:

(1) add --output=dvips to \executeMPtex in supp-mps.tex (generate format
again)
(2) add $OutputFormat = "dvips" before RunConTeXtFile ($MpTmp) in texexec.pl

This should force context / pdftex into dvi mode. If it works ok, i'll
patch the files.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-19 11:41     ` Mr. Wang Lei
From: Mr. Wang Lei @ 2000-10-19 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel, NTG-ConTeXt

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Ah, that's a good point:
>
> (1) add --output=dvips to \executeMPtex in supp-mps.tex (generate format
> again)
> (2) add $OutputFormat = "dvips" before RunConTeXtFile ($MpTmp) in texexec.pl
>
> This should force context / pdftex into dvi mode. If it works ok, i'll
> patch the files.

It works. I test some example files, texexec always get the
correct output for the run time metapost files.

@ 2000-10-19 13:01   ` Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2000-10-19 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel, NTG-ConTeXt

`Mr. Wang Lei' wrote

>   On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Denis B. Roegel wrote:
>
>   > When I run texexec on the file below, the mpgraph.mp file
>   > is created, but not metaposted. I can call texexec as many
>   > times as I want, it doesn't help. I have to call mpost
>   > by hand and then it works. I have shell_escape = 1 if
>
>                         it should be "shell_escape = t"

I thought anything different from f is true.
Anyway, when I make this change and create a cont-sys.tex
(where should this file be located in my $HOME/texmf tree?)
it doesn't work any better. Please keep in mind that in
certain cases, texexec launches the compilation of mpgraph.mp,
but not in this case. Hence, there might be another problem.

>   You need set other environment as suggestted by hans
>   in metafun manual. you can see if you have set the following
>   in your cont-sys.tex:
>
>      \runMPgraphicstrue
>   \runMPTEXgraphicstrue
>     \recycleMPslotstrue
>   \useMETAFUNformattrue
>
>   You'd better set metapost command using texexec in you
>   texmf.cnf:
>
>   MPXCOMMAND = texexec --mptex
>   TEX = texexec --once --batch --nomp

I am a bit reluctant to make these changes, since I will not
always be using texexec. I often use tex, latex and mpost alone.

I case it matters, below is the compilation of my example
with no prior mpgraph present:

bar context2 221 % texexec test16

 TeXExec 2.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : test16
                output : standard
             interface : en
          current mode : all
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
entering extended mode
(./test16.tex{/local/hugo/texlive5/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2000.9.21  fmt: 2000.10.5  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/local/tex/texmflocal/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/usr/local/tex/texmflocal/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/local/tex/texmflocal/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system         : cont-sys loaded
(./cont-sys.tex)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2-en-2 2-de-2 2-fr-2 2-nl-2 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system         : test16.top loaded
(./test16.top) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo)
(./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo)
(./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo)
systems        : begin file test16 at line 1
color          : rgb color space is supported
color          : cmyk color space is supported
color          : system rgb is global activated
layout         : calculating backgrounds
Randomizer initialized to 1045559809.
 TeXExec 2.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

       metapost to tex : mpgraph
            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : tmpgraph
                output : standard
             interface : en
               options : once batch nomp
          current mode : all

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
entering extended mode

              run time : 1 seconds
       dvi to metapost : mpgraph
              metapost : mpgraph
                format : metafun
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.2x)

figures        : figure mpgraph can not be found
(./test16.tuo) [1.1] [2.2]
systems        : end file test16 at line 105
 )
Output written on test16.dvi (2 pages, 4744 bytes).
Transcript written on test16.log.

              run time : 5 seconds
  sorting and checking : running texutil

 TeXUtil 7.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2000

                action : processing commands, lists and registers
                option : sorting IJ under Y
                option : converting high ASCII values
            input file : test16.tui
           output file : test16.tuo
       passed commands : 5
         remapped keys : 0
      register entries : 0 -> 0 entries 0 references
       synonym entries : 0 -> 0 entries
        embedded files : 1
bar context2 222 %

But the copilation of

\setupcolors[state=start]
\starttext
\runMPgraphicstrue

\def\processword#1{\noindent\framed[frame=off,background=lions]{#1}\space}

\startuniqueMPgraphic{lions b}
  path p; p:=fullsquare
    xyscaled (\overlaywidth,\overlayheight) randomized 5pt;
  pickup pencircle scaled 1pt;
  fill p withcolor .850white; draw p withcolor .625yellow;
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[lions][\uniqueMPgraphic{lions b}]

\setupalign[broad,middle]

\processwords
{As you may know, \TeX's ambassador is a lion, while \METAFONT{} is
represented by a lioness. It is still unclear if they have a relationship,
but if so, and if a baby is born, may it enjoy \METAFUN.}

\stoptext

triggers metapost with exactly the same environment.

Even if I add \runMPgraphicstrue to my first example (previous posting),
there are still no mpgraph.1, etc. around.

When I did the tests, I took care to remove all auxiliary files
in both cases.

Denis

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-19 13:45     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-19 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Mr. Wang Lei, Denis B. Roegel, NTG-ConTeXt

At 03:01 PM 10/19/00 +0200, Denis B. Roegel wrote:

>>   You'd better set metapost command using texexec in you
>>   texmf.cnf:
>>
>>   MPXCOMMAND = texexec --mptex
>>   TEX = texexec --once --batch --nomp
>
>I am a bit reluctant to make these changes, since I will not
>always be using texexec. I often use tex, latex and mpost alone.

This is not really needed, since texexex nills them anyway.

>                output : standard

is there, btw any difference if you use --pdf?

>                output : standard
>             interface : en
>               options : once batch nomp
>          current mode : all

it looks like some figs are created arent't they?

>This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
>entering extended mode
>
>              run time : 1 seconds
>       dvi to metapost : mpgraph
>              metapost : mpgraph
>                format : metafun
>This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.2x)

you may want to set \traceexternalfigurestrue to see where context is
searching the files.

>figures        : figure mpgraph can not be found

can you comment the lines concerning insertMPfile in cont-new.tex (when
present) and see what happens?

It may be related to dvi versus pdf since I only tested these features with
pdf -) although they should work with dvi too. Keep in mind that this is
still quite new.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-19 19:17       ` Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2000-10-19 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel, Mr. Wang Lei, NTG-ConTeXt

`Hans Hagen' wrote

>   At 03:01 PM 10/19/00 +0200, Denis B. Roegel wrote:
>
>   >>   You'd better set metapost command using texexec in you
>   >>   texmf.cnf:
>   >>
>   >>   MPXCOMMAND = texexec --mptex
>   >>   TEX = texexec --once --batch --nomp
>   >
>   >I am a bit reluctant to make these changes, since I will not
>   >always be using texexec. I often use tex, latex and mpost alone.
>
>   This is not really needed, since texexex nills them anyway.
>
>   >                output : standard
>
>   is there, btw any difference if you use --pdf?

No, it doesn't work any better. Also, in both cases, if there
is already some mpgraph.1 around from another run,
it is just taken as is.

>   >                output : standard
>   >             interface : en
>   >               options : once batch nomp
>   >          current mode : all
>
>   it looks like some figs are created arent't they?

The mpgraph.mp file is created, but not processed by mpost.

>   you may want to set \traceexternalfigurestrue to see where context is
>   searching the files.

I get

This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.2x)

figures        : figure mpgraph can not be found

[analyzing ./texutil.tuf on mpgraph.1] [not found] [analyzing ./texutil.tuf on
mpgraph.1] [not found] [analyzing ./texutil.tuf on mpgraph.1] [not found] [anal
yzing ./texutil.tuf on mpgraph.1] [not found] [analyzing ./texutil.tuf on mpgra
ph.* surrogate] [not found] [analyzing ./texutil.tuf on mpgraph.* surrogate] [n
ot found] [analyzing ./texutil.tuf on mpgraph.* surrogate] [not found] [analyzi
ng ./texutil.tuf on mpgraph.* surrogate] [not found] [mpgraph.1: t={mps,eps,mps
,pdf,png,jpg,tif,tex} m={mps,eps,mps,pdf,png,jpg,tif,tex} l=dummy w=11796480 h=
7864320 sx=100.0 sy=100.0 ox=0 oy=0] (./test16.tuo) [1.1] [2.2]
systems        : end file test16 at line 108
 )

Actually, the problem is that mpost doesn't find mpgraph which is
in the current directory. I get the same message if I rerun texexec.

-------

[...]

              run time : 6 seconds
  sorting and checking : running texutil

 TeXUtil 7.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2000

                action : processing commands, lists and registers
                option : sorting IJ under Y
                option : converting high ASCII values
            input file : test16.tui
           output file : test16.tuo
       passed commands : 5
         remapped keys : 0
      register entries : 0 -> 0 entries 0 references
       synonym entries : 0 -> 0 entries
        embedded files : 1
bar context2 259 % ll mpgraph.*
-rw-r--r--   1 roegel   model        122 Oct 19 21:08 mpgraph.log
-rw-r--r--   1 roegel   model       1609 Oct 19 21:08 mpgraph.mp
-rw-r--r--   1 roegel   model        377 Oct 19 21:08 mpgraph.mpx
bar context2 260 % mpost mpgraph.mp
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
(mpgraph.mp (/usr/local/tex5/texmflocal/metapost/context/mp-tool.mp)
(/usr/local/tex5/texmflocal/metapost/context/mp-spec.mp)
(/usr/local/tex5/texmflocal/metapost/context/mp-page.mp)
(/usr/local/tex5/texmflocal/metapost/context/mp-core.mp) [1] )
1 output file written: mpgraph.1
Transcript written on mpgraph.log.
bar context2 261 % more mpgraph.mp
% runtime generated graphics of job "test16"
mpgraph:=1;
randomseed := 3974;
if unknown context_tool : input mp-tool ;
fi ;
if unknown context_spec : input mp-spec ;
fi ;
defaultfont := "cmr10" ;
defaultscale := 12.0pt/10pt ;
if not known _data_prefix_ : string _data_prefix_ , _data_suffix_ ;
fi ;
_data_prefix_ := "mpd-" ;
_data_suffix_ := ".mpd" ;
boolean collapse_data ;
collapse_data := true ;
_data_suffix_ := ".mpd" ;
if unknown context_page : input mp-page ;
fi ;
boolean PageStateAvailable ;
PageStateAvailable := true ;
boolean OnRightPage ;
OnRightPage := true ;
def LoadPageState = OnRightPage := true;
PageNumber := 1;
PaperHeight := 845.04684pt;
PaperWidth := 597.50787pt;
PrintPaperHeight := 845.04684pt;
PrintPaperWidth := 597.50787pt;
TopSpace := 71.12546pt;
BackSpace := 71.13275pt;
MakeupHeight := 711.3191pt;
MakeupWidth := 426.78743pt;
TopHeight := 0.0pt;
TopDistance := 0.0pt;
HeaderHeight := 56.90294pt;
HeaderDistance := 0.0pt;
TextHeight := 597.51323pt;
FooterDistance := 0.0pt;
FooterHeight := 56.90294pt;
BottomDistance := 0.0pt;
BottomHeight := 0.0pt;
LeftEdgeWidth := 0.0pt;
LeftEdgeDistance := 0.0pt;
LeftMarginWidth := 75.58197pt;
LeftMarginDistance := 11.99829pt;
TextWidth := 426.78743pt;
RightMarginDistance := 11.99829pt;
RightMarginWidth := 75.58197pt;
RightEdgeDistance := 0.0pt;
RightEdgeWidth := 0.0pt;
PageOffset := 0.0pt;
PageDepth := 0.0pt;
enddef ;
if unknown context_core : input mp-core.mp ;
fi ;
;;
verbatimtex  etex;
beginfig(1);
draw btex \bf CONCEPT etex
rotated 60 withcolor .8white;
currentpicture := currentpicture ysized (597.50787pt  -.5cm);
endfig;
end.

-----------------

>   >figures        : figure mpgraph can not be found
>
>   can you comment the lines concerning insertMPfile in cont-new.tex (when
>   present) and see what happens?

I don't have anything concerning insertMPfile in cont-new, but I have
it in supp-mps.tex. If I add \let\insertMPfile\undefined to
my test file, I get as expected:

=========
              run time : 2 seconds
       dvi to metapost : mpgraph
              metapost : mpgraph
                format : metafun
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.2x)

! Undefined control sequence.
\loadMPgraphic ...finsertMPgraphics \insertMPfile
                                                  {#1}{#2}\fi }
\douseMPbox ...hicfile .\the \currentMPgraphic }{}
                                                  \deallocateMPslot \current...

\handleuniqueMPgraphic ...x {MP:\overlaystamp :#1}
                                                  \else \nouseMPbox {MP:\ove...

\douniqueMPgraphic ...es [#1][#2]\getvalue {MP:#1}
                                                  {}}
<to be read again>
                   }
\executedefinedoverlay ... {\the \everyoverlay #2}
                                                  }\dimen 0=\wd 0 \advance \...
l.100

?
=========

I hope this helps...

Thanks,

Denis

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-19 19:30         ` Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2000-10-19 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, Denis B. Roegel, Mr. Wang Lei, NTG-ConTeXt

I have narrowed the problem down. It is certainly
connected with btex/etex. If I comment the first draw below,
it works. If it is not commented, the mpgraph is not found.
I'd welcome an explanation!

Denis

=========
\starttext
\runMPgraphicstrue
\setupcolors[state=start]
\startuniqueMPgraphic{concept}
%  draw btex \bf CONCEPT etex rotated 60 withcolor .8white;
  draw origin -- (1cm,1cm);
  currentpicture := currentpicture ysized (\overlaywidth-.5cm);
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[concept][\uniqueMPgraphic{concept}]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=concept]

Some text Some text Some text Some text Some text Some text
Some text Some text
=========

In both runs, there is only the .tex file at the beginning.
No auxiliary files and no mpgraph*

=========
1) First run, with line not commented:
=========

bar context2 291 % texexec test17.tex

 TeXExec 2.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : test17
                output : standard
             interface : en
          current mode : all
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
entering extended mode
(./test17.tex{/local/hugo/texlive5/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2000.9.21  fmt: 2000.10.5  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/local/tex5/texmflocal/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/usr/local/tex5/texmflocal/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/local/tex5/texmflocal/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system         : cont-sys loaded
(./cont-sys.tex)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2-en-2 2-de-2 2-fr-2 2-nl-2 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system         : test17.top loaded
(./test17.top)
systems        : begin file test17 at line 1
color          : rgb color space is supported
color          : cmyk color space is supported
color          : system rgb is global activated
layout         : calculating backgrounds
Randomizer initialized to 1505245913.
 TeXExec 2.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

       metapost to tex : mpgraph
            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : tmpgraph
                output : standard
             interface : en
               options : once batch nomp
          current mode : all

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
entering extended mode

              run time : 1 seconds
       dvi to metapost : mpgraph
              metapost : mpgraph
                format : metafun
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.2x)

figures        : figure mpgraph can not be found
[1.1] [2.2]
systems        : end file test17 at line 107
 )
Output written on test17.dvi (2 pages, 4744 bytes).
Transcript written on test17.log.

=========
1) Second run, with line commented:
=========

bar context2 294 % texexec test17.tex

[...]

Randomizer initialized to 1506412629.This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
(mpgraph.mp [1] )
1 output file written: mpgraph.1
Transcript written on mpgraph.log.

figures        : dimensions of ./mpgraph.1 loaded from figurefile itself
[MP fonts ./mpgraph.1] [1.1] [2.2]
systems        : end file test17 at line 107
 )
Output written on test17.dvi (2 pages, 4604 bytes).
Transcript written on test17.log.

              run time : 2 seconds
  sorting and checking : running texutil

==========

My texmf.cnf file has

shell_escape = t

and my ./cont-sys.tex file is

   \runMPgraphicstrue
\runMPTEXgraphicstrue
  \recycleMPslotstrue
\useMETAFUNformattrue

And the September 21 context is in /usr/local/tex5/texmflocal,
since it is newer than the texlive 5 CD.

Denis

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-20  2:34           ` Mr. Wang Lei
From: Mr. Wang Lei @ 2000-10-20  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, NTG-ConTeXt

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Denis B. Roegel wrote:

> I have narrowed the problem down. It is certainly
> connected with btex/etex. If I comment the first draw below,
> it works. If it is not commented, the mpgraph is not found.
> I'd welcome an explanation!

Are you sure you have comment the following line in
your texexec.ini as I point in my last mail?

for  tetex  set  MpToTeXExecutable to  mptotex

Because the context set the MPtoTeXExecutable to "mptotex"
for teTeX and fpTeX, but teTeX or fpTeX may named this util
as "mpto". I have experenced the same problem before, so
I think your problem may be the same.

@ 2000-10-20 14:13             ` Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2000-10-20 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel, Hans Hagen, NTG-ConTeXt

`Mr. Wang Lei' wrote

>   Are you sure you have comment the following line in
>   your texexec.ini as I point in my last mail?
>
>   for  tetex  set  MpToTeXExecutable to  mptotex
>
>   Because the context set the MPtoTeXExecutable to "mptotex"
>   for teTeX and fpTeX, but teTeX or fpTeX may named this util
>   as "mpto". I have experenced the same problem before, so
>   I think your problem may be the same.

I don't think so. I have an mpto executable, but no mptotex.
If I perform your suggested change, I get

Randomizer initialized to 1119063014.
 TeXExec 2.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

       metapost to tex : mpgraph
sh: mptotex: not found

@ 2000-10-20 15:59               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-20 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

At 04:13 PM 10/20/00 +0200, Denis B. Roegel wrote:
>`Mr. Wang Lei' wrote
>>
>>   Are you sure you have comment the following line in
>>   your texexec.ini as I point in my last mail?
>>
>>   for  tetex  set  MpToTeXExecutable to  mptotex
>>
>>   Because the context set the MPtoTeXExecutable to "mptotex"
>>   for teTeX and fpTeX, but teTeX or fpTeX may named this util
>>   as "mpto". I have experenced the same problem before, so
>>   I think your problem may be the same.
>
>I don't think so. I have an mpto executable, but no mptotex.
>If I perform your suggested change, I get

>Randomizer initialized to 1119063014.
> TeXExec 2.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000
>
>       metapost to tex : mpgraph
>sh: mptotex: not found

Yes, so you have to set MpToTeXExecutable to mpto or comment the line
mentioned in texexec.ini [maybe you should check your texexec.ini with
texexec.rme] It really works when set up ok. They problem here is that
[sigh] file names differ per system.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-20 17:36               ` Mr. Lei Wang
From: Mr. Lei Wang @ 2000-10-20 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

 > >   Are you sure you have comment the following line in
> >   your texexec.ini as I point in my last mail?
> >
> >   for  tetex  set  MpToTeXExecutable to  mptotex
> >
> >   Because the context set the MPtoTeXExecutable to "mptotex"
> >   for teTeX and fpTeX, but teTeX or fpTeX may named this util
> >   as "mpto". I have experenced the same problem before, so
> >   I think your problem may be the same.
>
> I don't think so. I have an mpto executable, but no mptotex.
> If I perform your suggested change, I get

I really meaning is that I suggest you remove this line in your
texexec.ini because the context default use mptotex other than
mpto. I am sorry for my poor english.

Wang

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-20 18:56                 ` Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2000-10-20 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel, NTG-ConTeXt

`Hans Hagen' wrote

>   >Randomizer initialized to 1119063014.
>   > TeXExec 2.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000
>   >
>   >       metapost to tex : mpgraph
>   >sh: mptotex: not found
>
>   Yes, so you have to set MpToTeXExecutable to mpto or comment the line
>   mentioned in texexec.ini [maybe you should check your texexec.ini with
>   texexec.rme] It really works when set up ok.

I have done all of this, it doesn't work. Neither commenting the line,
nor removing it.

What can I do now?

Maybe if I understand exactly how it works I can try to debug?
texexec calls mpost, which should call mpto.
This apparently works since there is no such error as above.
But what I do not understand is why the mpto run fails, because
that's the problem, isn't it? How can I investigate if mpto
is really called and trap it?

Thanks,

Denis

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-20 19:09                   ` Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2000-10-20 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

Denis B. Roegel (Denis.Roegel@loria.fr) wrote:

[snip]

: that's the problem, isn't it? How can I investigate if mpto
: is really called and trap it?

I haven't followed the discuission, so excuse me if what
I write doesn't make sense. Trapping mpto or whatever
program doesn't seem to be too difficult. Simply rename it to
mpto_old, and create a new mpto which calls mpto_old. If you're using
unix you can use redirection to catch errors/output and append them
to a log file.

Regards,

Marc van Dongen

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-21 21:46                     ` Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2000-10-21 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel, NTG-ConTeXt

`Marc van Dongen' wrote

>   Denis B. Roegel (Denis.Roegel@loria.fr) wrote:
>
>   [snip]
>
>   : that's the problem, isn't it? How can I investigate if mpto
>   : is really called and trap it?
>
>   I haven't followed the discuission, so excuse me if what
>   I write doesn't make sense. Trapping mpto or whatever
>   program doesn't seem to be too difficult. Simply rename it to
>   mpto_old, and create a new mpto which calls mpto_old. If you're using
>   unix you can use redirection to catch errors/output and append them
>   to a log file.

I have now followed your suggestion and created a file mympto
where I put

#! /bin/sh
echo 'This is my mpto'
/usr/local/tex5/bin/mpto $*

and in the file texexec.ini, I put

set  MpToTeXExecutable  to  mympto

Then, mympto is indeed called (as can be shown if
I rename mympto into mympto2), but it doesn't change
my problem.

I really don't think the problem is the line

set  MpToTeXExecutable ...

It has something to do with mpto.

But again, if I just call mpost directly it works.

For some reason, the current directory used by mpost
is different from the one it should be.

How could I investigate this in more depth?

Thanks,

Denis

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-22 18:30                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-22 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel, NTG-ConTeXt

At 08:56 PM 10/20/00 +0200, Denis B. Roegel wrote:
>`Hans Hagen' wrote
>>
>>   >Randomizer initialized to 1119063014.
>>   > TeXExec 2.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

Isn't version 2.3 in the beta zip?

>>   >
>>   >       metapost to tex : mpgraph
>>   >sh: mptotex: not found
>>
>>   Yes, so you have to set MpToTeXExecutable to mpto or comment the line
>>   mentioned in texexec.ini [maybe you should check your texexec.ini with
>>   texexec.rme] It really works when set up ok.
>
>I have done all of this, it doesn't work. Neither commenting the line,
>nor removing it.
>
>What can I do now?
>
>Maybe if I understand exactly how it works I can try to debug?
>texexec calls mpost, which should call mpto.

No! MP does not call mpto etc. The reason for this is that (1) this process
is too sensitive for problems and (2) some of those tools are sensitive for
long lines and so (3) etc etc

This is why texexec does the calls after some cleaning up and check. It
also makes sure that it uses a temp file that does not clash.

>This apparently works since there is no such error as above.
>But what I do not understand is why the mpto run fails, because
>that's the problem, isn't it? How can I investigate if mpto
>is really called and trap it?

You can look into texexec [search for doRunMP or ######] and add lines like

print "IT WORKS TILL HERE\n" ;

inside conditionals to check if you come that far.

Also, say texexec --verbose to get an idea of what the settings are. Can be
helpful.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-22 18:49                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-22 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Marc van Dongen, Denis B. Roegel, NTG-ConTeXt

At 11:46 PM 10/21/00 +0200, Denis B. Roegel wrote:

>For some reason, the current directory used by mpost
>is different from the one it should be.
>
>How could I investigate this in more depth?

you should really use the latest version fo texexec, so that we speak about
the latest version,
it may have to do with extensions and piping, which i improved recently,
i'll make sure and update my version.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-23 19:34                     ` Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2000-10-23 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel, NTG-ConTeXt

`Hans Hagen' wrote

>   Isn't version 2.3 in the beta zip?

Ok, I have installed the latest beta and here is the result.
There is still no progress. I tested it on solaris and linux.

Denis

bar context2 242 % texexec --verbose test16

 TeXExec 2.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

     locating ini file : found by kpsewhich
               reading : /usr/local/tex5/texmf/context/config/texexec.ini
               setting : 'TeXShell' to 'tetex' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en,nl,de,uk' for 'all'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'tex' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpExecutable' to 'mpost' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviToMpExecutable' to 'dvitomp' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviSpecialScript' to 'dvispec' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en,nl,de,uk' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'pdfetex' for 'tetex'

          used setting : TeXShell = tetex
          used setting : SetupPath =
          used setting : UserInterface = en
          used setting : UsedInterfaces = en,nl,de,uk
          used setting : TeXFontsPath = .
          used setting : MpExecutable = mpost
          used setting : MpToTeXExecutable = mpto
          used setting : DviToMpExecutable = dvitomp
          used setting : TeXProgramPath =
          used setting : TeXFormatPath =
          used setting : ConTeXtPath =
          used setting : TeXScriptsPath =
          used setting : TeXExecutable = pdfetex
          used setting : TeXVirginFlag = -ini
          used setting : TeXBatchFlag = -int=batchmode
          used setting : MpBatchFlag = -int=batchmode
          used setting : TeXPassString =
          used setting : TeXFormatFlag =
          used setting : MpFormatFlag =
          used setting : MpVirginFlag = -ini
          used setting : MpPassString =
          used setting : MpFormat = metafun
          used setting : FmtLanguage =
          used setting : FmtBodyFont =
          used setting : FmtResponse =
          used setting : TcXPath =

      locating fmtutil : found
            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : test16
                output : standard
             interface : en
               options : verbose
          current mode : all
               TeX run : 1

pdfetex -progname=context   \&cont-en test16

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
entering extended mode
(./test16.tex{/usr/local/tex5/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2000.9.21  fmt: 2000.10.5  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
system         : cont-new loaded
(/users/model/roegel/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/users/model/roegel/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/users/model/roegel/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system         : cont-sys loaded
(./cont-sys.tex)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2-en-2 2-de-2 2-fr-2 2-nl-2 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system         : test16.top loaded
(./test16.top) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo)
(./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo)
(./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo) (./test16.tuo)
systems        : begin file test16 at line 1
color          : rgb color space is supported
color          : cmyk color space is supported
color          : system rgb is global activated
layout         : calculating backgrounds
Randomizer initialized to 1512246597.
 TeXExec 2.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

       metapost to tex : mpgraph
            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : tmpgraph
                output : dvips
             interface : en
               options : once batch nomp
          current mode : all

[...]

bar context2 243 %

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
@ 2000-10-24  6:48                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-24  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel, NTG-ConTeXt

At 09:34 PM 10/23/00 +0200, Denis B. Roegel wrote:

> TeXExec 2.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000
>
>       metapost to tex : mpgraph
>            executable : pdfetex
>                format : cont-en
>             inputfile : tmpgraph
>                output : dvips
>             interface : en
>               options : once batch nomp
>          current mode : all
>
>This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
>entering extended mode
>
>              run time : 2 seconds
>       dvi to metapost : mpgraph
>              metapost : mpgraph
>                format : metafun
>This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
>
>figures        : figure mpgraph can not be found
>(./test16.tuo) [1.1] [2.2]
>systems        : end file test16 at line 105

This is the metapost run that also handles btex/etex

Can you try

  texexec --mptex mpgraph

and see if some error message shows up? Also, can you send me the tex file
you use?

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: texexec not launching mpost
       [not found] ` <200010271431.QAA03427@bar.loria.fr>
@ 2000-10-27 15:55   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-27 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel, ntg-context

At 04:31 PM 10/27/00 +0200, Denis B. Roegel wrote:
>`Hans Hagen' wrote
>>
>>   Did you regenetare the metafun format with the latest context mp files?
>>   Keep in mind that some of this stuff is rather experimental.
>
>Yes, I think I regenerated it. But in my mp-text.mp, I have only
>one parameter for textext:
>
>%D        version=2000.07.10,
>
>vardef textext@#(expr txt) =
>  interim labeloffset := textextoffset ;
>  noftexpictures := noftexpictures + 1 ;
>
>And the mpgraph.mp file calls it with two parameters if I am not mistaken.

Ah, a bug! Indeed "textext" only takes one argument, so the metafun manual
is wrong!

I'll repair the manual.

This went unnoticed since i let mpost run in batch mode and a second arg
does not harm the mp output.

Thanks for noticing,

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE