* "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now available from boekplan.com
@ 2011-02-28  9:45 Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-02-28  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

After some delays, thankfully the book "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now
finally available for immediate ordering.

"Fonts in ConTeXt" describes how to define and use fonts in ConTeXt
MkIV. In this book, for the first time all existing documentation
related to fonts has been combined into a single document. In 128
pages, the reader is guided through everything there is to know about
fonts in ConTeXt MkIV. The earlier chapters deal with the theory behind
the font subsystem of ConTeXt and explain how to use the font switching
macros. The later chapters deal with defining fonts, for both single
(symbolic) fonts and complete typescripts for font families. Finally,
there are chapters on extending the ConTeXT font system and font
installation.

"Fonts in ConTeXt" costs 19 euro + p&p, and can be ordered from

   http://www.boekplan.com/

Hans and I have decided that there will not be a free PDF version;
ordering a hardcopy is the only way to get this book. Please note
that besides receiving a useful book, you will also be sponsoring
ConTeXt development by doing so!

Taco Hoekwater
(also for Hans Hagen)

* Re: "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now available from boekplan.com
@ 2011-02-28  9:50 ` luigi scarso
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-28  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> After some delays, thankfully the book "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now
> finally available for immediate ordering.
>
> "Fonts in ConTeXt" describes how to define and use fonts in ConTeXt
> MkIV. In this book, for the first time all existing documentation
> related to fonts has been combined into a single document. In 128
> pages, the reader is guided through everything there is to know about
> fonts in ConTeXt MkIV. The earlier chapters deal with the theory behind
> the font subsystem of ConTeXt and explain how to use the font switching
> macros. The later chapters deal with defining fonts, for both single
> (symbolic) fonts and complete typescripts for font families. Finally,
> there are chapters on extending the ConTeXT font system and font
> installation.
>
> "Fonts in ConTeXt" costs 19 euro + p&p, and can be ordered from
>
>  http://www.boekplan.com/
>

> Hans and I have decided that there will not be a free PDF version;
> ordering a hardcopy is the only way to get this book. Please note
> that besides receiving a useful book, you will also be sponsoring
> ConTeXt development by doing so!
ordered.

--
luigi

* Re: "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now available from boekplan.com
@ 2011-02-28 10:20 ` Thomas Schmitz
From: Thomas Schmitz @ 2011-02-28 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:45:52 +0100
  Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> After some delays, thankfully the book "Fonts in
>ConTeXt" is now
> finally available for immediate ordering.
>
> "Fonts in ConTeXt" describes how to define and use fonts
>in ConTeXt
> MkIV. In this book, for the first time all existing
>documentation
> related to fonts has been combined into a single
>document. In 128
> pages, the reader is guided through everything there is
>to know about
> fonts in ConTeXt MkIV. The earlier chapters deal with
>the theory behind
> the font subsystem of ConTeXt and explain how to use the
>font switching
> macros. The later chapters deal with defining fonts, for
>both single
> (symbolic) fonts and complete typescripts for font
>families. Finally,
> there are chapters on extending the ConTeXT font system
>and font
> installation.
>
> "Fonts in ConTeXt" costs 19 euro + p&p, and can be
>ordered from
>
>   http://www.boekplan.com/
>

> Hans and I have decided that there will not be a free
>PDF version;
> ordering a hardcopy is the only way to get this book.
>Please note
> that besides receiving a useful book, you will also be
>sponsoring
> ConTeXt development by doing so!
>

> Taco Hoekwater
> (also for Hans Hagen)

I ordered as well - very nice and clean interface for the
web shop! Looking forward to reading my copy, and thanks
for all the work you've put in; 19 Euros is more than
fair, and I'm happy that part of the money will be going
into development!

Thomas

* Re: "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now available from boekplan.com
@ 2011-02-28 10:27   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-28 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Thomas Schmitz <tschmit1@uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:45:52 +0100
>  Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>>
>> After some delays, thankfully the book "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now
>> finally available for immediate ordering.
>>
>> "Fonts in ConTeXt" describes how to define and use fonts in ConTeXt
>> MkIV. In this book, for the first time all existing documentation
>> related to fonts has been combined into a single document. In 128
>> pages, the reader is guided through everything there is to know about
>> fonts in ConTeXt MkIV. The earlier chapters deal with the theory behind
>> the font subsystem of ConTeXt and explain how to use the font switching
>> macros. The later chapters deal with defining fonts, for both single
>> (symbolic) fonts and complete typescripts for font families. Finally,
>> there are chapters on extending the ConTeXT font system and font
>> installation.
>>
>> "Fonts in ConTeXt" costs 19 euro + p&p, and can be ordered from
>>
>>  http://www.boekplan.com/
>>

>> Hans and I have decided that there will not be a free PDF version;
>> ordering a hardcopy is the only way to get this book. Please note
>> that besides receiving a useful book, you will also be sponsoring
>> ConTeXt development by doing so!
>>

>> Taco Hoekwater
>> (also for Hans Hagen)
>>

> I ordered as well - very nice and clean interface for the web shop! Looking
> forward to reading my copy, and thanks for all the work you've put in; 19
> Euros is more than fair, and I'm happy that part of the money will be going
> into development!
Why don't put original signs and dedications of the authors on each
copy after, let's say, the first 5 orders after 1hour  the annuncement
in this mailing list ?
--
luigi

* Re: "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now available from boekplan.com
@ 2011-02-28 10:55     ` Thomas Schmitz
From: Thomas Schmitz @ 2011-02-28 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:27:16 +0100
  luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why don't put original signs and dedications of the
>authors on each
> copy after, let's say, the first 5 orders after 1hour
> the annuncement
> in this mailing list ?
The first two :-) That'll make them collectibles that my
grandchildren can sell at a greatly inflated price...

Thomas

* Re: "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now available from boekplan.com
@ 2011-02-28 11:01       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-02-28 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Thomas Schmitz <tschmit1@uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:27:16 +0100
>  luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Why don't put original signs and dedications of the authors on each
>> copy after, let's say, the first 5 orders after 1hour the annuncement
>> in this mailing list ?
>
> The first two :-) That'll make them collectibles that my grandchildren can
> sell at a greatly inflated price...
yes, but in this way less people will be interested, so less moneys
for developers, so less books,
so your collection will be small and with less value...

--
luigi

* Re: "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now available from boekplan.com
@ 2011-03-01  4:39 ` Miguel Queiros
From: Miguel Queiros @ 2011-03-01  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> After some delays, thankfully the book "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now
> finally available for immediate ordering.

[...]

> Hans and I have decided that there will not be a free PDF version;
> ordering a hardcopy is the only way to get this book. Please note
> that besides receiving a useful book, you will also be sponsoring
> ConTeXt development by doing so!

I've just ordered one. Great way of sponsoring ConTeXt.

Will be ordering also "Layouts in ConTeXt" as soon as it gets
available!

Miguel Queirós

* Re: "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now available from boekplan.com
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-03-01 19:19 ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2011-03-01 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> writes:

> After some delays, thankfully the book "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now
> finally available for immediate ordering.

Due to the high costs of shipping and bank payment, could you tell me if
the book Layouts in ConTeXt will be out as scheduled in a month (so I'll
wait to buy them both, saving some logistic money)?

As always, thanks for all you do.

Bests

--
Marco

* Re: "Fonts in ConTeXt" is now available from boekplan.com
@ 2011-03-01 19:44   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-03-01 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is this book going to be available in the U.S.? If so, where can I find it?
If not, may I suggest that you upload your PDFs to CreateSpace.com and have
it made available to buyers through Amazon.com. I normally don't like
limiting a book's availability to a single reseller, but for a niche book it
makes sense. There is no cost to upload the book but an optional $39 fee
that reduces print costs dramatically. There is no inventory cost as books
are printed only when customers order copies. If multiple titles are to be
published, using Lightning Source may make more sense for serving the U.S.
market.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax