* Bibliography related questions
@ 2011-09-22  9:48 Alexandre Krispin
From: Alexandre Krispin @ 2011-09-22  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I am trying to get references working with Context as well as it did
with Biblatex. Since I didn't find anything helpful in the documentation
and the mailing-list, I ask here.

My setup at the moment is the following :
\usemodule[bib]
\usemodule[bibltx]
\setupbibtex[database=test]
\setuppublications[alternative=apa-fr]
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupinteraction[state=start,color=darkgreen]

- Can I get hyperlinks working with references in Context ? For example,
with Biblatex with a citation and its reference, if I select the
authoryear style, then I get : "my citation" (author year). And the
reader can click on the year and be redirected to the reference in the
bibliography. The year is a hyperlink. Can we get the same behaviour
with Context ?
- Also, I have tried to get the following pattern for my references :
(author year, page number). It is the pattern of the Chicago manual of
style (http://library.williams.edu/citing/styles/chicago2.php). To get
this style, I have tried for example the following :
\cite[extras={, p. 41}][guerrien2008theorie]
But instead of the pattern (author year, page number), I get (author,
year, page number). Can I remove the comma between author and year ?
- Finally, is my setup wrong ? Indeed, with the setup I have copy-pasted
above my bibliography remains empty.

Sincerely,
Alexandre Krispin

* Re: Bibliography related questions
@ 2011-09-22 10:03 ` Christian
From: Christian @ 2011-09-22 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> - Can I get hyperlinks working with references in Context ? For example, with
> Biblatex with a citation and its reference, if I select the authoryear style, then
> I get : "my citation" (author year). And the reader can click on the year and be
> redirected to the reference in the bibliography. The year is a hyperlink. Can
> we get the same behaviour with Context ?

Unfortunately, interaction only works if one uses the default ref-style, with the shitty "[1]". Then
this is clickable. Other alternatives like authoryear are NOT clickable.

+1 for implementing interaction for other reference styles.

* Re: Bibliography related questions
@ 2011-09-22 15:56   ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-09-22 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22.09.2011 12:03, Christian wrote:
>> - Can I get hyperlinks working with references in Context ? For example, with
>> Biblatex with a citation and its reference, if I select the authoryear style, then
>> I get : "my citation" (author year). And the reader can click on the year and be
>> redirected to the reference in the bibliography. The year is a hyperlink. Can
>> we get the same behaviour with Context ?
>
> Unfortunately, interaction only works if one uses the default ref-style, with the shitty "[1]". Then
> this is clickable. Other alternatives like authoryear are NOT clickable.
>
> +1 for implementing interaction for other reference styles.

I'm using ConTeXt version 201100920 00:09 MKIV and I get clickable
references with \cite[my_reference_tag] (the "shitty [1]" which I use
mostly) and also with \cite[author][my_reference_tag]. I don't have
something special in my setup:

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\setupbibtex[database={thesis}]
\setuppublications[alternative=ams, refcommand=num]
\setupcite[num][lastpubsep={, }]
\setupcite[author][left=, right=]

HTH,
Stefan

* Re: Bibliography related questions
@ 2011-09-22 21:54     ` Christian
From: Christian @ 2011-09-22 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi,
>
> On 22.09.2011 12:03, Christian wrote:
> >> - Can I get hyperlinks working with references in Context ? For
> >> example, with Biblatex with a citation and its reference, if I select
> >> the authoryear style, then I get : "my citation" (author year). And
> >> the reader can click on the year and be redirected to the reference
> >> in the bibliography. The year is a hyperlink. Can we get the same
> behaviour with Context ?
> >
> > Unfortunately, interaction only works if one uses the default
> > ref-style, with the shitty "[1]". Then this is clickable. Other alternatives like
> authoryear are NOT clickable.
> >
> > +1 for implementing interaction for other reference styles.
>
> I'm using ConTeXt version 201100920 00:09 MKIV and I get clickable
> references with \cite[my_reference_tag] (the "shitty [1]" which I use
> mostly) and also with \cite[author][my_reference_tag]. I don't have
> something special in my setup:
>
> \setupinteraction[state=start]
> \setupbibtex[database={thesis}]
> \setuppublications[alternative=ams, refcommand=num]
> \setupcite[num][lastpubsep={, }] \setupcite[author][left=, right=]

Thanks for your answer.

Same here. But NOT with refcommand=authoryear  or  refcommand=authoryears I'm afraid.
I can not imagine that it's supposed to behave like this.

* Re: Bibliography related questions
@ 2011-09-22 21:58 ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-09-22 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu 22 Sep 2011, Alexandre Krispin wrote:

> I am trying to get references working with Context as well as it did
> with Biblatex. Since I didn't find anything helpful in the documentation
> and the mailing-list, I ask here.

It's true that bibliography documentation can be hard to find. The best
source is the manual at http://modules.contextgarden.net/bibman ,
but it is not entirely up to date.

In the following I'm going to assume that you're using MkIV.

> \usemodule[bib]
> \usemodule[bibltx]

These are unnecessary. The bib module has been integrated into the
core. The bibltx module used to define a \newcommand command for
compatibility with some old LaTeX databases, but I don't think it even
exists any more. Unless you use \newcommand in your bib file, this
should not be a problem.

Here's a minimal example which should do what you want:

---8<---

\setupbibtex[database=sample,sort=author]
\setuppublications[alternative=apa-fr,sorttype=bbl,refcommand=authoryear]
\setupinteraction[state=start,color=darkgreen,style=normal]
\setupcite[interaction=start,compress=no]
\def\pagecite[#1][#2]%
{(\cite[alternative=authoryear,left={},inbetween={ },extras={, p. #2}][#1]}

\starttext

\cite[alternative=authoryears,inbetween={ },extras={, p. 3}][Eijkhout1991]

\pagecite[Eijkhout1991][3]

\page[yes]

\placepublications[criterium=text]

\stoptext

---8<---

This uses ConTeXt's included sample bib file. I'm sure this used
to be found automatically in the ConTeXt tree, but in this case I had
to copy it into the same directory as the TeX file for it to be found.
You can find it in /tex/texmf-context/tex/context/bib/sample.bib .

You will see that I use two cite commands. The first is probably the
‘more correct’ way to do it, using the authoryears style. However,
this doesn't seem to produce a hyperlink, at least on my version of
ConTeXt (from February 2011). I suspect that this may be a bug. The
second cite (wrapped in a macro for convenience) modifies the
authoryear style instead, which (at least with my setup) does produce
a hyperlink.

Hope this helps!

Pont

* Re: Bibliography related questions
@ 2011-09-23  7:58   ` Alexandre Krispin
From: Alexandre Krispin @ 2011-09-23  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks a lot to all !

Yes, I use Context MKIV :
ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV  fmt: 2011.8.26  int:
english/english

The setup pagecite of Pontus Lurcock is exactly what I needed, but even
with a minimal example, it does not produce a reference at the end with
\completepublications. Here is a minimal example :

                \setupbibtex[database=sample,sort=author]
                \setuppublications[alternative=apa-fr,sorttype=bbl,refcommand=authoryear]
                \setupinteraction[state=start,color=darkgreen,style=normal]
                \setupcite[interaction=start]
                \def\pagecite[#1][#2]%
                {(\cite[alternative=authoryear,left={},inbetween={ },extras={, p. #2}][#1]}

                \starttext
                it is a test \pagecite[guerrien2008theorie][41].

                \completepublications
                \stoptext

And the following is the database (downloaded from google book in bibtex
format) :

                @Book{ guerrien2008theorie,
                	title = "{La th{\'e}orie {\'e}conomique
                n{\'e}oclassique: micro{\'e}conomie, macro{\'e}conomie
                et th{\'e}orie des jeux}",
                	author = "B. Guerrien and E. B{\'e}nicourt",
                	isbn = "9782707154224",
                	series = "Grands Rep{\`e}res. Manuels",
                	url = "http://books.google.com/books?id=8Kx8NwAACAAJ",
                	year = "2008",
                	publisher = "la D{\'e}couverte"
                }

Also, I had to remove "compress=no" in
\setupcite[interaction=start,compress=no] to make your setup work. Is it
related to my distribution ? I use an up-to-date TeXlive 2011
distribution.

2011-09-23 (金) の 09:58 +1200 に Pontus Lurcock さんは書きました:

@ 2011-09-23  9:17     ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-09-23  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri 23 Sep 2011, Alexandre Krispin wrote:

> The setup pagecite of Pontus Lurcock is exactly what I needed, but
> even with a minimal example, it does not produce a reference at the
> end with \completepublications.

For \completepublications, as for \placepublications, you need
to use \completepublications[criterium=text] .

> Also, I had to remove "compress=no" in
> \setupcite[interaction=start,compress=no] to make your setup work.
> Is it related to my distribution ? I use an up-to-date TeXlive 2011
> distribution.

compress=no is necessary for interaction to work (see
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080714.132145.26782c1f.en.html
) -- after a couple of tests I see that using compress=no and
\completepublications without criterium=text makes the citation itself
disappear. However, adding the [criterium=text] should allow you
also to keep the compress=no without problems.

Pont

* Re: Bibliography related questions
@ 2011-09-23 16:04   ` Christian
From: Christian @ 2011-09-23 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ---8<---
>
> \setupbibtex[database=sample,sort=author]
> \setuppublications[alternative=apa-
> fr,sorttype=bbl,refcommand=authoryear]
> \setupinteraction[state=start,color=darkgreen,style=normal]
> \setupcite[interaction=start,compress=no]
> \def\pagecite[#1][#2]%
> {(\cite[alternative=authoryear,left={},inbetween={ },extras={, p. #2}][#1]}
>
> \starttext
>
> \cite[alternative=authoryears,inbetween={ },extras={, p. 3}][Eijkhout1991]
>
> \pagecite[Eijkhout1991][3]
>
> \page[yes]
>
> \placepublications[criterium=text]
>
> \stoptext
>
> ---8<---

Thank you for this, it's exactly what I was looking for.
The only flaw of this workaround (besides not being the 'proper way') is that the first '(' is not part of the link and therefore not green (but then again, I'll probably set the color of the link to black, anyway).

A Fix of linked \cite[alternative=authoryears][reference] still would be nice ;)

* Re: Bibliography related questions
@ 2011-09-24  0:26     ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-09-24  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri 23 Sep 2011, Christian wrote:

> The only flaw of this workaround (besides not being the 'proper
> way') is that the first '(' is not part of the link and therefore
> not green (but then again, I'll probably set the color of the link
> to black, anyway).

> A Fix of linked \cite[alternative=authoryears][reference] still
> would be nice ;)

I've figured out what the problem was: the \setupcite only affects the
default authoryear citation style, so if using authoryears (or any
others) they need to be explicitly specified. Changing the \setupcite to

\setupcite[authoryear,authoryears][interaction=start,compress=no]

makes links work for authoryears citations as well. In this case only
the author and year are linkified, not the parentheses or page
numbers, but at least it's symmetrical.

Pont

* Re: Bibliography related questions
@ 2011-09-27 17:50   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-09-27 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-9-2011 12:03, Christian wrote:
>> - Can I get hyperlinks working with references in Context ? For example, with
>> Biblatex with a citation and its reference, if I select the authoryear style, then
>> I get : "my citation" (author year). And the reader can click on the year and be
>> redirected to the reference in the bibliography. The year is a hyperlink. Can
>> we get the same behaviour with Context ?
>
> Unfortunately, interaction only works if one uses the default ref-style, with the shitty "[1]". Then
> this is clickable. Other alternatives like authoryear are NOT clickable.
>
> +1 for implementing interaction for other reference styles.

up to Thomas to add that to the 'todo' list (that he manages)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-09-28  8:57     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-09-28  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/27/2011 07:50 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 22-9-2011 12:03, Christian wrote:
>>> - Can I get hyperlinks working with references in Context ? For
>>> example, with
>>> Biblatex with a citation and its reference, if I select the
>>> authoryear style, then
>>> I get : "my citation" (author year). And the reader can click on the
>>> year and be
>>> redirected to the reference in the bibliography. The year is a
>>> hyperlink. Can
>>> we get the same behaviour with Context ?
>>
>> Unfortunately, interaction only works if one uses the default
>> ref-style, with the shitty "[1]". Then
>> this is clickable. Other alternatives like authoryear are NOT clickable.

with \setupcite[compress=no] you should be able to get links with
the more complex styles as well.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Bibliography related questions
@ 2011-10-04 17:17       ` Christian
From: Christian @ 2011-10-04 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, you are right. But one has to explicitly specify the styles in that command, i.e:
\setupcite[authoryears,authoryear][interaccompress=no]

With all that together, I can do all that I need. Here's my modified code from the provided
samples:

---------------START OF FILE----------------
\setupbibtex[database=sample,sort=author]
\setuppublications[alternative=apa-de,sorttype=bbl,refcommand=authoryear]
\setupinteraction[state=start,color=darkgreen,style=normal]
\setupcite[authoryears,authoryear][compress=no]
\def\textpagecite[#1][#2]%
{\cite[alternative=authoryear,extras={, S.\,#2}][#1]}
\def\pagecite[#1][#2]%
{\cite[alternative=authoryears,extras={, S.\,#2}][#1]}
\def\indirectpagecite[#1][#2]%
{\cite[alternative=authoryears,left={(vgl. },extras={, S.\,#2}][#1]}
\starttext

\pagecite[Eijkhout1991][3]\\
\indirectpagecite[Eijkhout1991][3]\\
\textpagecite[Eijkhout1991][3]