* [Q] How to use new fonts in context
@ 2000-11-25 14:59 Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2000-11-25 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

can someone please give me an example how to use a new font family in
context, given that I have the tfm + vf + pfb + map file ready.

Thanks,
Thanh

* Re: [Q] How to use new fonts in context
@ 2000-11-25 15:49 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-11-25 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt List

Han The Thanh wrote:

> can someone please give me an example how to use a new font family in
> context, given that I have the tfm + vf + pfb + map file ready.

I thought you went for pure Tex??? :-)

Take a look at the font-*.tex files.

Here an example

------------------
\definefontsynonym [Serif]            [AcanthusSSi]
\definefontsynonym [SerifBold]        [AcanthusSSi-Bold]
\definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]      [AcanthusSSi-Italic]
\definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]     [AcanthusSSi-Italic]
\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]  [AcanthusSSi-BoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldSlanted] [AcanthusSSi-BoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]        [AcanthusSSi]

\definebodyfont [14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt] [rm] [default]
--------------------

AcanthusXXX can be defined through font synonyms as with:

\definefontsynonym[AcanthusSSi]    [acans]    [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[AcanthusSSi-Bold]    [acansb]    [encoding=texnansi]

You don't need to define font synonyms if you use the font name.

A more eloborated example:

%D \module
%D   [       file=font-trekts,
%D        version=1998.11.6,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Font Macros,
%D       subtitle=TrekkieTitlesSSi,
%D         author=Berend de Boer,
%D           date=\currentdate,

%D This module defines the TrekkieTitlesSSi font. We use
%D the \YandY\ texnansi encoding vector.

\startcoding [texnansi]

\definebodyfont [14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt] [ss]
  [tf=TrekkieTitlesSSi sa 1,
  bf=TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold sa 1,
  bs=TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold sa 1,
  tfa=TrekkieTitlesSSi sa 1.200,
  tfb=TrekkieTitlesSSi sa 1.440,
  tfc=TrekkieTitlesSSi sa 1.728,
  tfd=TrekkieTitlesSSi sa 2.074,
  bfa=TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold sa 1.200,
  bfb=TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold sa 1.440,
  bfc=TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold sa 1.728,
  bfd=TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold sa 2.074,
  sc=TrekkieTitlesSSi sa 0.833]

\stopcoding

\endinput

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: [Q] How to use new fonts in context
@ 2000-11-25 22:11 ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-11-25 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanh (who gave a great presentation in Arnhem the other week,
thanks Thanh! and also thank Karel for me!) asked:

> can someone please give me an example how to use a new font
family in
> context, given that I have the tfm + vf + pfb + map file ready.

I'd say, ask Taco first, because "the" tfm et cetera could need
some jugling. When I tried to figure out how Taco had installed a
font for me, and Taco wasn't available to ask, I did some
archaeological research through my directories and documented for
myself this, for a given Times font including oldstyle/expert set
numbers/small caps:

-------- in \texmf\pdftex\config\

 1  a file pdftex.cfg containing the line
    +fg.map

 2  a file fg.map containing lines like:

tnrexp    TimesNRExpertMT        <tnrexp.pfb
tnrexpi   TimesNRExpertMT-Italic <tnrexpi.pfb
tnrexpu   TimesNRExpertMT-Italic "-0.167 SlantFont" <tnrexpi.pfb
tnrexpo   TimesNRExpertMT        "0.167 SlantFont" <tnrexp.pfb

* TIMES in TeXnANSI encoding (ly1) for context.

tnr2       TimesNewRoman            "TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <tnr.pfb
tnri2      TimesNewRoman-Italic     "TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <tnri.pfb
tnru2      TimesNewRoman-Italic     "-0.167 SlantFont
TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <tnri.pfb
tnro2      TimesNewRoman            " 0.167 SlantFont
TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <tnr.pfb
--------

in \texmf\pdftex\base a number of .enc files that may have been
changed
(in a new setup these are in \tex\texmf\dvips\base )

texnansi.enc
ec.enc
textext.enc

--------

in my \mytex\fonts\type1\fg\
(in new setup in \tex\texmf.local\fonts\type1\fg\)

tnr*.pfb   (times source files incl expert sets)
helv*.pfb  (my helvetica's)
linoe*.pfb (special euro sylbol fonts)

--------

in my ..\fonts\afm\fg\

all *.afm and *.ofm and *.pfb files of my fonts

--------

in my ..\fonts\tfm\fg\

all *.tfm files of my fonts

--------

In the work directory of the tex-file on hand:

font-loc.tex

containing:

\definebodyfont [14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt] [rm]
  [bse=Times-Bold scaled \magstep5]

\definebodyfont [14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt] [ss]
  [bfc=Helvetica-Bold sa 1.728,
   bic=Helvetica-BoldOblique sa 1.728]

-------

in my ConTeXt .tex-file at least this:

\useencoding[ibm]

\stelkorpsin
  [pos,fg,loc,9pt]

--------

in ..\texmf\tex\context\user\

 the file

 cont-sys.tex

containing lines like:

 \definebodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic]

 % FG
 \runMPgraphicstrue
 \setupbodyfont[ber,fg]

--------

also in ..\texmf\tex\context\user\

the file   font-fg.tex

containing things like:

\definefontsynonym [Courier]                          [pcrr]
\definefontsynonym [Courier-Oblique]                  [pcrro]
\definefontsynonym [Courier-Bold]                     [pcrb]
\definefontsynonym [Courier-BoldOblique]              [pcrbo]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica]                        [helv2]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Oblique]                [helvi2]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Italic]                 [helvi2]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Bold]                   [helvb2]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-BoldOblique]            [helvbi2]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-BoldItalic]             [helvbi2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Roman]                      [tnr2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Italic]                     [tnri2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Oblique]                    [tnro2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Bold]                       [tnrb2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-BoldItalic]                 [tnrbi2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-BoldOblique]                [tnrbo2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-RomanSC]                    [tnrexp]
\definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]                        [tnrexp]
\definefontsynonym [SerifCapsI]                       [tnrexpi]
\definefontsynonym [Times-RomanSCItalic]              [tnrexpi]

\definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [Times-RomanSC]

\definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [Times-RomanSC]

\definefontsynonym [OldStyleIt] [Times-RomanSCItalic]

\definefont[osi] [OldStyleIt sa \currentfontscale]

\definefont[oldstyle] [OldStyle sa \currentfontscale]
\def\os{\groupedcommand{\oldstyle}{}}

\definefont[oldstyleitalic] [OldStyleIt sa \currentfontscale]
\def\osi{\groupedcommand{\oldstyleitalic}{}}

% in newe setup Serifcaps changed to OldStyle
\definefont[myownkaps] [SerifCaps sa \currentfontscale]
\definefont[myownkapsi] [SerifCapsI sa \currentfontscale]
\def\mykap{\groupedcommand{\myownkaps}{}}
\def\mykapi{\groupedcommand{\myownkapsi}{}}

\definefontsynonym [Symbol]                           [psyr]
\definefontsynonym [ZapfChancery]                     [pzcmi]
\definefontsynonym [ZapfDingbats]                     [pzdr]

--------

* Re: [Q] How to use new fonts in context
@ 2000-11-26 19:04   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-26 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt List

At 04:49 PM 11/25/00 +0100, Berend de Boer wrote:

Berend implement his star-trek fonts as follows:

>%D \module
>%D   [       file=font-trekts,
>%D        version=1998.11.6,
>%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Font Macros,
>%D       subtitle=TrekkieTitlesSSi,
>%D         author=Berend de Boer,
>%D           date=\currentdate,
>
>%D This module defines the TrekkieTitlesSSi font. We use
>%D the \YandY\ texnansi encoding vector.
>
>\startcoding [texnansi]
>
>\definebodyfont [14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt] [ss]
>  [tf=TrekkieTitlesSSi sa 1,
>  bf=TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold sa 1,
>  bs=TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold sa 1,
>  tfa=TrekkieTitlesSSi sa 1.200,
>  tfb=TrekkieTitlesSSi sa 1.440,
>  tfc=TrekkieTitlesSSi sa 1.728,
>  tfd=TrekkieTitlesSSi sa 2.074,
>  bfa=TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold sa 1.200,
>  bfb=TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold sa 1.440,
>  bfc=TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold sa 1.728,
>  bfd=TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold sa 2.074,
>  sc=TrekkieTitlesSSi sa 0.833]
>
>\stopcoding

Here the \start..\stopcoding is not really needed. The font file specific
encoding happens when defining the filename, the only platform dependent
place. There can be coding specific things in a font file (lucida) for
instance because special chars are used [or math].

Another handy thing is that you can use

....=... sa a (or b,c,...) instead of those funny numbers.

If you use the font as your only sans, you can use an even simpler setup,
see font-ptm.tex for an example. Because font mapping is recursive, you can
map trekb onto TrekkieTitlesSSi-Bold onto SansBold [even mid document].

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE