From: "Christian" <metan0r@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Fonts in Mk IV -- \definefontalternative	documentation?
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:13:52 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello and welcome to the world of ConTeXt!

I was in you place about one year ago :)

The best way to get started with fonts is probably the simplefonts module. I haven't used anything since I started and was able to do everything I wished for, so far.

Installation:
Run
first-setup.sh --modules="t-simplefonts"
if you use Context standalone (if not, refer to http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Modules for installation and download links).

Then this file should get you started:

%%% BEGIN
\usemodule[simplefonts]
\definefontfeature[default][default][mode=node,script=latn,kern=yes,palt=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes,init=yes,size=yes] %some default features
\definefontfeature[frac][default][frac=yes] % opentype 'frac' feature for nice fractions
\definefontfeature[sups][default][sups=yes]
\definefontfeature[onum][default][onum=yes] % old-style figures
\definefontfeature[lnum][default][lnum=yes]
\setupsimplefonts[expansion=quality, protrusion=quality] % sort of microtype thing. makes things look better =)
\setmainfont[Myriad Pro] % set Myriad as main font
\definesimplefonttypeface[sb][Myriad Pro][regularfont=myriadprosemibold, italicfont=myriadprosemiboldit] % define a second font called 'sb' for semibold

\starttext

Test normal\\
{\sb Test semibold}\\
{\sb \it Test semibold}\\