* minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-17 17:05 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-17 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I would like to ask some Windows user to test if windows minimals still work OK.

And another issue - TeX Live has switched to universal binaries for
Mac. Oliver has asked me to do that some time ago, but I didn't want
to mess up with having to (cross-)compile the basic binaries as well.
What do others think?

(I kind of prefer separate binaries since they are twice smaller and
don't really bring many advantages except that one would only need a
single package once Oliver's instller comes to existance.)

The transition would need some modifications, I'm first asking for opinion.

Mojca

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-17 18:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-17 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask some Windows user to test if windows minimals still work OK.
>
> And another issue - TeX Live has switched to universal binaries for
> Mac. Oliver has asked me to do that some time ago, but I didn't want
> to mess up with having to (cross-)compile the basic binaries as well.
> What do others think?
>
> (I kind of prefer separate binaries since they are twice smaller and
> don't really bring many advantages except that one would only need a
> single package once Oliver's instller comes to existance.)
>
> The transition would need some modifications, I'm first asking for opinion.

the dll is now ok, but we have the cache_is_readable problem for which
we need the fix

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-17 19:01 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-07-17 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> And another issue - TeX Live has switched to universal binaries for
> Mac. Oliver has asked me to do that some time ago, but I didn't want
> to mess up with having to (cross-)compile the basic binaries as well.
> What do others think?

  I would really favour universal binaries if we're able to build them
on a regular basis.  It's simply more in line with today's Mac OS
spirit, and it would make little sense to ship a Mac installer with
Intel-only binaries.  The only reason why I didn't already provide
universal binaries was because the build process was really ill-adapted
(mostly libtool problems, as I've experienced); but if Richard and
Jonathan managed to build them, we should be able to do it as well.

	Arthur

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18  8:24   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-07-18  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to ask some Windows user to test if windows minimals still work OK.

just tried the current version (only left out texmf-context).

- kpathsea357.dll is missing ('texexec --make --pdftex' complains about
it; luatex also doesn't work without; is 35771 already used by any program?)

- still get problems if i call luatools|mtxrun. creating a format is not
possible. some examples:

R:\tex>luatools --generate
LuaTools | variable SELFAUTOLOC set to R:/tex/texmf-mswin/bin
LuaTools | variable SELFAUTODIR set to R:/tex/texmf-mswin
LuaTools | variable SELFAUTOPARENT set to R:/tex
LuaTools | variable TEXMFCNF set to R:\tex\texmf{-local,-context,}/web2c
LuaTools | loading R:/tex/texmf-context/web2c/texmf.cnf
LuaTools | loading R:/tex/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

Should I create the cache path R:/tex/texmf-cache? [yes|no] [no]

Should I create the cache path R:/tex/texmf-cache? [yes|no] [no]

Should I create the cache path C:/tmp? [yes|no] [no]

Should I create the cache path C:/tmp? [yes|no] [no]

Should I create the cache path /Dokumente und Einstellungen/sojus?
[yes|no] [no]

fatal error: there is no valid (writable) cache path defined
-------
R:\tex>luatools --variables
Should I create the cache path R:/tex/texmf-cache? [yes|no] [no]
-------
R:\tex>mtxrun --version
Should I create the cache path R:/tex/texmf-cache? [yes|no] [no]
-------

believe me, cache path exists ;)

>> And another issue - TeX Live has switched to universal binaries for
>> Mac. Oliver has asked me to do that some time ago, but I didn't want
>> to mess up with having to (cross-)compile the basic binaries as well.
>> What do others think?
>>
>> (I kind of prefer separate binaries since they are twice smaller and
>> don't really bring many advantages except that one would only need a
>> single package once Oliver's instller comes to existance.)
>>
>> The transition would need some modifications, I'm first asking for opinion.
>
> the dll is now ok, but we have the cache_is_readable problem for which
> we need the fix

yes (see above) :)

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18  8:32     ` Mojca Miklavec
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-18  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hans Hagen schrieb:
>> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would like to ask some Windows user to test if windows minimals still work OK.
>>>
> just tried the current version (only left out texmf-context).
>
> - kpathsea357.dll is missing ('texexec --make --pdftex' complains about
> it; luatex also doesn't work without;

But both
    http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/common/mswin/bin/
and
    http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/mswin/bin/
have that file. Where else did I forgot it (no doubts I did)?

> is 35771 already used by any program?)

XeTeX. And I just figured out that I forgot to remove the old one
(	kpathsea35671).

Mojca

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18  8:38     ` Hans Hagen
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-18  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:

> believe me, cache path exists ;)

this is a bug in the windows lfs code, akira posted a fix so i expect a
new bin any time now

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18  8:39       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-18  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Hans Hagen schrieb:

>> just tried the current version (only left out texmf-context).
>>
>> - kpathsea357.dll is missing ('texexec --make --pdftex' complains about
>> it; luatex also doesn't work without;
>
> But both
>     http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/common/mswin/bin/
> and
>     http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/mswin/bin/
> have that file. Where else did I forgot it (no doubts I did)?
>
>> is 35771 already used by any program?)
>
> XeTeX. And I just figured out that I forgot to remove the old one
> (	kpathsea35671).

maybe binaries should have an accompanying 'liblist.txt' file so that
it's easier to check

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18  8:44       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-18  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> believe me, cache path exists ;)
>
> this is a bug in the windows lfs code, akira posted a fix so i expect a
> new bin any time now

But I fetch luatex stable. If we need to switch to development
version, let me know.

Mojca

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18  8:46       ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-07-18  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec schrieb:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Hans Hagen schrieb:

>> just tried the current version (only left out texmf-context).
>>
>> - kpathsea357.dll is missing ('texexec --make --pdftex' complains about
>> it; luatex also doesn't work without;
>
> But both
>     http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/common/mswin/bin/
> and
>     http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/mswin/bin/
> have that file. Where else did I forgot it (no doubts I did)?

mh, looks like i need a cup of java :D
sorry, my fault (donno how i managed that).

>> is 35771 already used by any program?)
>
> XeTeX. And I just figured out that I forgot to remove the old one
> (	kpathsea35671).
>
> Mojca

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18  8:50       ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-07-18  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec schrieb:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Hans Hagen schrieb:

>> just tried the current version (only left out texmf-context).
>>
>> - kpathsea357.dll is missing ('texexec --make --pdftex' complains about
>> it; luatex also doesn't work without;
>
> But both
>     http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/common/mswin/bin/
> and
>     http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/mswin/bin/
> have that file. Where else did I forgot it (no doubts I did)?

got it. stupid me used the version from 15.07.2008, where the dll is
missing. punishment for me: extra big cup of java (no sugar with some
milk) ;)

>> is 35771 already used by any program?)
>
> XeTeX. And I just figured out that I forgot to remove the old one
> (	kpathsea35671).
>
> Mojca

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18  8:55       ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-07-18  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> believe me, cache path exists ;)
>
> this is a bug in the windows lfs code, akira posted a fix so i expect a
> new bin any time now

very good news. will test asap.

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18  9:24         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-18  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>>> is 35771 already used by any program?)
>>
>> XeTeX. And I just figured out that I forgot to remove the old one
>> (     kpathsea35671).
>
> maybe binaries should have an accompanying 'liblist.txt' file so that
> it's easier to check

It's just that I never delete the old content when extracting zips
from Akira (when I should). Or that he renames the zips.

But it's my fault in either case. His zips are just fine.

I asked on CTAN for mirroring them, and even CTAN-ers complain :)

> it's like 1990s x-atlantic transfers used to be from here ;-)
>
> i'm pulling something at the moment, and getting 7 or 8 kbyte/sec --
> that's 1% of the speed my cable line is capable of.

Mojca

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18  9:26         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-18  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Peter Rolf wrote:
>>
>>> believe me, cache path exists ;)
>> this is a bug in the windows lfs code, akira posted a fix so i expect a
>> new bin any time now
>
> But I fetch luatex stable. If we need to switch to development
> version, let me know.

You can expect a new release sometime after lunch.

best wishes,
Taco

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18 10:31         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-18 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Peter Rolf wrote:
>>
>>> believe me, cache path exists ;)
>> this is a bug in the windows lfs code, akira posted a fix so i expect a
>> new bin any time now
>
> But I fetch luatex stable. If we need to switch to development
> version, let me know.

that may be better for now

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18 12:32       ` Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2008-07-18 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, July 18, 2008 10:38 AM Hans Hagen wrote:
> this is a bug in the windows lfs code, akira posted a fix so
> i expect a new bin any time now

I've just installed ConTexT minimals on a new pc with vista 64 and got
the 'cache file not writable' messages.

Will Mojca give us a hint when we can reload/reinstall minimals from
contextgarden? Or will it be enough to run the 'first-setup' batch file
again?

Best,
Ulrich

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18 12:53         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-18 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Ulrich Dirr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday, July 18, 2008 10:38 AM Hans Hagen wrote:
>> this is a bug in the windows lfs code, akira posted a fix so
>> i expect a new bin any time now
>
> I've just installed ConTexT minimals on a new pc with vista 64 and got
> the 'cache file not writable' messages.
>
> Will Mojca give us a hint when we can reload/reinstall minimals from
> contextgarden? Or will it be enough to run the 'first-setup' batch file
> again?

You don't need to reinstall anything. Running first-setup should be
enough, but I will go to mountains till Sunday, and it takes about two
or three days before changes in LuaTeX trunk propagate to W32TeX
binaries anyway (updating W32TeX binaries is only semi-automatic since
files often change names).

(To be honest, I just run a script to update binaries from Akira from
time to time, but I cannot test if it breaks anything, and I don't
really keep track of what version is used - I just take whatever is
there.)

Mojca

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18 13:16           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-18 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Ulrich Dirr wrote:
>>
>> Will Mojca give us a hint when we can reload/reinstall minimals from
>> contextgarden? Or will it be enough to run the 'first-setup' batch file
>> again?
>
> You don't need to reinstall anything. Running first-setup should be
> enough, but I will go to mountains till Sunday, and it takes about two
> or three days before changes in LuaTeX trunk propagate to W32TeX
> binaries anyway (updating W32TeX binaries is only semi-automatic since
> files often change names).

Hmmm, wait. I just got an email from Akira. Can you please give it one
more try and report if it works ok?

Thanks,
    Mojca

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18 13:25         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-07-18 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ulrich Dirr schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday, July 18, 2008 10:38 AM Hans Hagen wrote:
>> this is a bug in the windows lfs code, akira posted a fix so
>> i expect a new bin any time now
>
> I've just installed ConTexT minimals on a new pc with vista 64 and got
> the 'cache file not writable' messages.
>
> Will Mojca give us a hint when we can reload/reinstall minimals from
> contextgarden? Or will it be enough to run the 'first-setup' batch file
> again?

the minimals use the latest non beta release of context from 21.05.2008.
i think all you need is to copy the files luatools.lua and mtxrun.lua
from that version (in the texmf-context/scripts/context/lua directory)
to the texmf-mswin/bin directory. just overwrite the newer version and
all should work.

@Mojca: maybe it's a good idea to remove both files from 'mswin.zip'.
or make sure somehow that they are in sync with the versions in
'justtex.zip'. just my 2eurocents.

best wishes, peter

> Best,
> Ulrich

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18 13:39           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
> Ulrich Dirr schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Friday, July 18, 2008 10:38 AM Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> this is a bug in the windows lfs code, akira posted a fix so
>>> i expect a new bin any time now
>>
>> I've just installed ConTexT minimals on a new pc with vista 64 and got
>> the 'cache file not writable' messages.
>>
>> Will Mojca give us a hint when we can reload/reinstall minimals from
>> contextgarden? Or will it be enough to run the 'first-setup' batch file
>> again?
>>
> the minimals use the latest non beta release of context from 21.05.2008.

The minimals use whatever version you ask them to fetch for you. In
first-setup.sh I have
   --context=beta
and I sometimes add
   --context=experimental

The problem is that I have put beta versions of those files into
context bin, and if one uses some other version, it fails to work.

> i think all you need is to copy the files luatools.lua and mtxrun.lua
> from that version (in the texmf-context/scripts/context/lua directory)
> to the texmf-mswin/bin directory. just overwrite the newer version and
> all should work.

> @Mojca: maybe it's a good idea to remove both files from 'mswin.zip'.
> or make sure somehow that they are in sync with the versions in
> 'justtex.zip'. just my 2eurocents.

Oh, right, the "pragma" dir, sorry. After Hans comes from Cork, I'll
ask him to fix a few things, and those two files will then be fetched
separately. I also have problems with those two files.

But my question - should "pragma"-like zips contain context beta or current?

Apart from that - is luatex (& cache paths) working now?

Mojca

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18 14:16             ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-07-18 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec schrieb:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Ulrich Dirr schrieb:
>>> Hi,

>>> I've just installed ConTexT minimals on a new pc with vista 64 and got
>>> the 'cache file not writable' messages.
>>>
>>> Will Mojca give us a hint when we can reload/reinstall minimals from
>>> contextgarden? Or will it be enough to run the 'first-setup' batch file
>>> again?
>>>
>> the minimals use the latest non beta release of context from 21.05.2008.
>
> The minimals use whatever version you ask them to fetch for you. In
> first-setup.sh I have
>    --context=beta
> and I sometimes add
>    --context=experimental
>
> The problem is that I have put beta versions of those files into
> context bin, and if one uses some other version, it fails to work.

i see

>> i think all you need is to copy the files luatools.lua and mtxrun.lua
>> from that version (in the texmf-context/scripts/context/lua directory)
>> to the texmf-mswin/bin directory. just overwrite the newer version and
>> all should work.
>
>> @Mojca: maybe it's a good idea to remove both files from 'mswin.zip'.
>> or make sure somehow that they are in sync with the versions in
>> 'justtex.zip'. just my 2eurocents.
>
> Oh, right, the "pragma" dir, sorry. After Hans comes from Cork, I'll
> ask him to fix a few things, and those two files will then be fetched
> separately. I also have problems with those two files.
>
> But my question - should "pragma"-like zips contain context beta or current?

current (no doubt about that)

> Apart from that - is luatex (& cache paths) working now?

i tested the latest luatex ('updated on 2007-07-17') some hours ago and
it still has this problem.

> Mojca

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18 14:29               ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-18 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:

> i tested the latest luatex ('updated on 2007-07-17') some hours ago and
> it still has this problem.

Not some hours ago. One hour ago.

Mojca

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18 15:10                 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-07-18 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec schrieb:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>> i tested the latest luatex ('updated on 2007-07-17') some hours ago and
>> it still has this problem.
>
> Not some hours ago. One hour ago.

i can rerun the test if you want ;)

new binaries will be available at Akira's site at 20:00 (UTC+1)

> Mojca

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-18 17:47                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-18 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec schrieb:
>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>>> i tested the latest luatex ('updated on 2007-07-17') some hours ago and
>>> it still has this problem.
>> Not some hours ago. One hour ago.
>>
> i can rerun the test if you want ;)
>
> new binaries will be available at Akira's site at 20:00 (UTC+1)

works ok now, i tested both xp and vista (clean machine)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: minimals & TeX Live 2008
@ 2008-07-19  6:23             ` Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2008-07-19  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

On Friday, July 18, 2008 3:40 PM Mojca Miklavec wrote:
[...]
> Apart from that - is luatex (& cache paths) working now?

sorry for the delay but my new pc is at another location (with no
mailing list access by now) ...
The error messages about writing faults to cache dirs disappeared, and
everything seems to work perfectly well here ;-)