* question: error on format generation
@ 2001-01-06 15:26 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-01-06 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I re-installed ConTeXt / PDFtex and Perl from scratch on my laptop, so far
so good, but at the format generation I get an error and I can't figure out
where the cause might be.

Anyone an idea? Thanks, Frans

///

 TeXExec 2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2c 7.3.1) (INITEX)
entering extended mode
(c:/TEX/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-nl.tex

[...]

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=13307].
<recently read> \endcsname

<to be read again>
                   {
<to be read again>
                   \@@oibreedte
\docopyvalue ...name \@EA {\csname #2#3\endcsname
                                                  }\fi
\next1 #1,->\docopyparameter {#1}
                                 \doprocesscommaitem
<argument> \relax \c!breedte ,
                              \c!hoogte ,\c!offset ,\c!leeg , \c!straal
,\c!...
l.8213 \presetlocalframed [\??ma\v!rechterpagina]

No pages of output.
Transcript written on cont-nl.log.

* Re: question: error on format generation
@ 2001-01-06 15:39 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2001-01-06 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Frans,

> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=13307].

I don't know what system you have, but I have in texmf.cnf (kpsewhich
texmf.cnf) these entries:

main_memory.context = 1500000
obj_tab_size.context = 256000
hash_extra.context = 25000
pool_size.context = 750000
string_vacancies.context = 45000
max_strings.context = 55000
pool_free.context = 47500
nest_size.context = 500
param_size.context = 1500
save_size.context = 5000
stack_size.context = 1500

So I think it should be enough to add them. (I you use teTeX or fpTeX
(both TeXLive) they should be already there.) If you use MiCTeX, sorry,
no idea where to change it.

Instead of adding a .context, you can also change the default values.

Tobias

--
This above all: To thine own self be true / And it must follow as
the night the day / Thou canst not then be false to any man.

* Re: question: error on format generation
@ 2001-01-06 16:09   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-01-06 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Tobias,

My values (taken from a working setup here on teh desktop pc and a message
from Hans) were almost twice as large in most cases, I made them smaller
like in your example but the result is the same...

frans@iaf.nl
www.goddijn.com

@ 2001-01-06 16:50     ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2001-01-06 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Frans,

> My values (taken from a working setup here on teh desktop pc and a message
> from Hans) were almost twice as large in most cases, I made them smaller
> like in your example but the result is the same...
Question: The larger values are those for TeX in general or for context
(*.context)?

It seems as if TeX doesn't take those values into account.

Can you please name (a) your operating system and (b) your TeX
distribution.

Run texexec --verbose and look where the texexec.ini file is and which
values are used?
(check the non out-commented TeXShell and quote the variables)

You probably need something like
for  tetex  set  TeXPassString     to  -progname=context
     ^^^^^-> This should be your TeXShell.

Tobias

--

@ 2001-01-06 17:48       ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-01-06 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Tobias,

Thanks for your help!

> Can you please name (a) your operating system and (b) your TeX
> distribution.

Windows98, and I first installed ActivePerl from the activeperl website,
then FPtex from Popineau's site, then I inserted and unpacked cont-tmf.zip
and cont-uti.zip in the texmf tree. Finally I updated to the latest beta
pdfetex.

A few weeks ago i did the install from the Tex Live CD but I found that
that didn't make it easier, I still needed to go look for the nitty gritty
details to get things straight, which is fun work (in retrospect, that is,
after something turned out to work ;-}}}

> Run texexec --verbose and look where the texexec.ini file is and which
> values are used?

c:/tex/texmf/context/config/texexec.ini

AH! That's it!! When I copied runperl.exe -> texexec.exe and the files near
it from the context directory to the BIN directory, I also renamed the
texexec.rme to texexec.ini and put it there in the BIN as well.

Stupid of me!

I corrected that (I replaced the ini file in /context/config by the one
that I had put in BIN directory) and now I can successfully create format
files...

whew. Thanks for that pointer!!

Groet,

Frans