* Greek font
@ 2003-09-06  8:06 Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-09-06  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please excuse this long post. I was/am fiddling with fonts, "probably
the most complicated aspect of TeX," to quote Hans... I feel I'm almost
there, but I still need some help and would be very grateful if anybody
could give me a hint.
Thanks to Giuseppe Bilotta's help, I managed to typeset classical Greek
with the CB-Greek fonts. Everything works, the accents are in the right
places etc., yet the original CB-Greek doesn't look very good in pdfs.
I have a very beautiful Greek font that comes with the LaTeX
"psgreek"-package; it works in LaTeX and is, according to the manual,
encoded with the same map as CB-Greek (in LaTeX, the encoding is called
lgrenc.def, but I couldn't find any useful imformation in that file). I
wrote a typescriptfile to use it in ConTeXt. The font works, all the
glyphs are there, as I can see with a \showfont, but they're not in the
right slots, which means that it doesn't build the correct ligatures
for displaying accents etc. I assume I need to write a new encoding
file to reassign the glyphs to their new position. I'd be willing to do
this by hand (there aren't too many of them, after all), but how do I
go about that?
What I have got about this font (it's called "GreekOxonia," and in my
eyes, it's the most beautiful typeface that's out there for classical
Greek):
greeoxon.pfb
greeoxon.sfd
greeoxon.sfd~
greeoxon.afm
greeoxon.tfm
a map file psgreek.map
and a couple of accompanying .vf, .ovf and .ofm-files (all of them
containing just a few characters of gibberish when I try to open them).
Can anybody give me a hint where I could start? Any help would be most
appreciated!
Best
Thomas