* Margin text in doublesided documents
@ 2011-04-04 21:56 C.
From: C. @ 2011-04-04 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

in my doublesided document \inmargin texts are always on the left side of
the body text.

\setuplayout[location=doublesided]
\setuppagenumbering[location=right,alternative=doublesided]
\setupmargindata[left][style=\tfx]
\starttext
\chapter{Chapter Knuth testing}
\section{Section Knuth testing}
\input knuth\inmargin{test}\input knuth\page
\section{Section Knuth testing 2}
bla bla \inmargin{test 1.5}bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.
\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}Nochmal \inmargin{test 2}ein
Test.\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}\inmargin{bla}
\stoptext

Also, is \setupinmargindata equivalent to the old \setupinmargin? I could
not find any documentation about it.

This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.66.0-2011033109 (rev 4094)
ConTeXt  ver: 2011.03.30 11:21 MKIV  fmt: 2011.4.2  int: english/english

* Re: Margin text in doublesided documents
@ 2011-04-05  6:28 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-05  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.04.2011 um 23:56 schrieb C.:

> Hello,
>
> in my doublesided document \inmargin texts are always on the left side of
> the body text.

\inmargin is configures to be always in the left margin, you can use
\inothermargin to put the text in the opposite margin or use \inoutermargin
to put the text always in the outer margin or you can configure \inmargin
to be always in the outer margin

\setupmargindata[inmargin][location=outer,align=inner]

> Also, is \setupinmargindata equivalent to the old \setupinmargin? I could
> not find any documentation about it.

Because the command is new and nobody documented it so far.

Wolfgang

* Re: Margin text in doublesided documents
@ 2011-04-05 11:23   ` C.
From: C. @ 2011-04-05 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Hello,
> >
> > in my doublesided document \inmargin texts are always on the left side
> > of the body text.
>
> \inmargin is configures to be always in the left margin, you can use
> \inothermargin to put the text in the opposite margin or use
\inoutermargin
> to put the text always in the outer margin or you can configure \inmargin
> be always in the outer margin

\inothermargin gives Undefined control sequence....
\inoutermargin works great!

> \setupmargindata[inmargin][location=outer,align=inner]

Hm, tried that. The margin text did move to the outer margin, but it was
aligned to the paper boarder, not to the body text. (i.e. it was set ragged
left/flush right on an odd page)

> > Also, is \setupinmargindata equivalent to the old \setupinmargin? I
> > could not find any documentation about it.
>
> Because the command is new and nobody documented it so far.

I see.

Thank you for your reply and have a nice day.

Christian

* Re: Margin text in doublesided documents
@ 2011-04-05 11:35     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-05 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.04.2011 um 13:23 schrieb C.:

>> \setupmargindata[inmargin][location=outer,align=inner]
>
> Hm, tried that. The margin text did move to the outer margin, but it was
> aligned to the paper boarder, not to the body text. (i.e. it was set ragged
> left/flush right on an odd page)

\setupmarginframed[inmargin][align=inner]

It would really help when you provide a minimal example because
it’s very annoying to write always one by myself.

Wolfgang

* Re: Margin text in doublesided documents
@ 2011-04-05 15:08       ` C.
From: C. @ 2011-04-05 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I will remember to include a minimal example from now on.
Here is the current:

\setuplayout[location=doublesided]
\setuppagenumbering[location=right,alternative=doublesided]
\setupmargindata[inmargin][location=outer,align=inner] % almost correct. on
odd pages wrong alignment
% \setupmarginframed[inmargin][align=inner] % wrong side on odd pages, also
wrong alignment
\starttext
\chapter{Chapter Knuth testing}
\section{Section Knuth testing}
\input knuth \inmargin{test}\input knuth\page
\section{Section Knuth testing 2}
bla bla \inmargin{test 1.5}bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.
\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}Nochmal \inmargin{test 2}ein
Test.\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}\inmargin{bla}
\stoptext

Note: \inoutermargin on page 3 behaves correctly, though it seems to have a
different default style (why bold, anyway?).
As for now, I'm using \inoutermargin .

@ 2011-04-05 15:09       ` C.
From: C. @ 2011-04-05 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Whoops! Sent too early, this is the updated minimal example:

\setuplayout[location=doublesided]
\setuppagenumbering[location=right,alternative=doublesided]
\setupmargindata[inmargin][location=outer,align=inner] % almost correct. on
odd pages wrong alignment
% \setupmarginframed[inmargin][align=inner] % wrong side on odd pages, also
wrong alignment
\starttext
\chapter{Chapter Knuth testing}
\section{Section Knuth testing}
\input knuth \inmargin{test}\input knuth\page
\section{Section Knuth testing 2}
bla bla \inmargin{test 1.5}bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.
\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}Nochmal \inmargin{test 2}ein
Test.\inoutermargin{this is OK}\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}\inmargin{bla}
\stoptext

@ 2011-04-05 15:25         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-05 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.04.2011 um 17:09 schrieb C.:

> Whoops! Sent too early, this is the updated minimal example:

Works for me, the margin text is always at the outer margin
and the text aligned to the body text.

Wolfgang

* Re: Margin text in doublesided documents
@ 2011-04-05 16:56           ` C.
From: C. @ 2011-04-05 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

What version(s)?

@ 2011-04-05 17:00             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-05 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.04.2011 um 18:56 schrieb C.:

> What version(s)?

mtx-context     | current version: 2011.04.03 22:32

and

mtx-context     | current version: 2011.04.05 16:47

Wolfgang

* Re: Margin text in doublesided documents
@ 2011-04-05 19:19               ` C.
From: C. @ 2011-04-05 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aha! It's this combination that makes it work:
\setupmargindata[inmargin][location=outer,align=inner] % align=inner has no
effect here?!
\setupmarginframed[inmargin][align=inner] % but when I add this it works and
aligns to the body text

Thanks for your help, I'm all set now.

@ 2011-04-07 12:15 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-04-07 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.04.2011 um 23:56 schrieb C.:

> Also, is \setupinmargindata equivalent to the old \setupinmargin? I could
> not find any documentation about it.

I wrote a interface file for the new margindata code.

Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: typo-mar.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: typo-mar.tex --]

\usemodule[int-load]\loadsetups[typo-mar.xml]

\starttext
\setup[definemargindata]
\setup[setupmargindata]
\setup[definemarginframed]
\setup[setupmarginframed]
\setup[margindata]
\stoptext

[-- Attachment #4: typo-mar.xml --]
[-- Type: application/xml, Size: 5517 bytes --]

* Re: Margin text in doublesided documents
@ 2011-04-13  9:58   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-04-13  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had a similar problem - thank you, Wolfgang!

But I need my marginals as one line, rotated in the inner margin and
aligned to the top or bottom of the text area.
I don’t know how to achieve the latter.

\setuppapersize[A6][A6]
\setupmargindata[inmargin][style={\ss\tfx},location=inner,align=outer]
\setupmarginframed[inmargin][align=outer,location=inner]
\def\Info#1{\margindata[inmargin]{\rotate{#1}}}

\starttext

\chapter{Tufte}
\Info{This is a text by Tufte 1}
\input tufte