* TrueType Fonts in Context under Linux?
@ 2002-03-05 20:13 Daniel Joyce
From: Daniel Joyce @ 2002-03-05 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Is there a way to get TrueType fonts into Context under Linux?

	Daniel

* Re: TrueType Fonts in Context under Linux?
@ 2002-03-05 21:47 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-03-05 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Daniel Joyce wrote:

>         Is there a way to get TrueType fonts into Context under Linux?

I'm guessing it is not a Context issue, but rather one for the backend.
The pdftex manual shows how to use TrueType fonts: you put a line in the
map file just as if it were a Type1 font.

However, I only tried this once and the kerning was not right. I haven't
had time to investigate since.

-Bill

* Re: TrueType Fonts in Context under Linux?
@ 2002-03-05 22:27   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-03-05 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Am Dienstag, 5. März 2002 22:47 schrieb Bill McClain:
> The pdftex manual shows how to use TrueType fonts: you put a line in the
> map file just as if it were a Type1 font.
>
> However, I only tried this once and the kerning was not right. I haven't
> had time to investigate since.

AFAIK pdfTeX does need TFMs and can't read the metrics from the TTF. So you
first must make TFMs. I didn't try yet, but there must be a tool TTF2TFM or
TTF2AFM...

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* Re: TrueType Fonts in Context under Linux?
@ 2002-03-06 21:05   ` W. Egger
From: W. Egger @ 2002-03-06 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: wmcclain

Hi,

Sorry I did not answer to this one, because I do not have a lot of Linux
experience. - In fact I installed TTF  in a win environment and can use them
with Context. The results? -

Prepare the afm and tfm files with the respective tools. (Use Hans his
namingscheme)

Prepare a typescript, which can go into \texmf\tex\context\user: e.g.
type-myttf.tex

\starttypescript [sans] [schwaben] [name]
  \definefontsynonym [Sans] [SchwabenRoman]
\stoptypescript

Put a line in the file \texmf\tex\context\user\type-loc.tex ( this file is
automatically loaded at runtime)

\starttypescript [map] [texnansi]
  \loadmapfile[texnansi-myttf.map]
\stoptypescript

Prepare the above mentioned map-file  with the necessary lines:

texnansi-schwaben "Schwaben TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <schwaben.ttf
<texnansi.enc

In your texsource:

\usetypescriptfile[type-myttf]
\definetypeface [Firstfont][ss][sans][schwaben][default][encoding=texnansi]

\setupbodyfont[Firstfont,12pt]

At least in my case this works.

Success Willi