* startTEXapplication and music?
@ 2002-11-07  9:54 Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2002-11-07  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ConTeXters,

Here's another oddball question to see what's possible.

I'm trying to get musictex (or musixtex, if the first one is a success)
to work from within ConTeXt. Musictex code like that at the bottom of my
message doesn't work directly in ConTeXt, and I don't feel the pressing
need to make it work. However, it works fine when fed through pdftex.

While doing a quick grep through the source files, I came across the
\startTEXapplication and \startTEXpage macros used in the pstricks
module, and they look like they handle the spirit of what I'm trying to
accomplish. However, the pass through texexec again (and to some extent
the dependency on ps2pdf, which I need to get from ghostscript and isn't
in my TeXLive) means that ConTeXt fails on a tmp file, right?

Would this be a good time to learn about buffers? Should I copy-paste the
definitions involved with TEXapplication and modify them to something to
my needs? Is there something that exists already that runs a simple
pdftex on a code block and inserts it as a figure?

thanks,
adam
musictex code follows:

\input musicnft
\input musictex

\def\nbinstruments{1}\relax % a single instrument
\generalmeter{\meterfrac{4}{4}}\relax % 4/4 meter chosen
\debutextrait % starting real score
\normal % normal 12 pt note spacing
\temps\Notes\ibu0f0\qh0{cge}\tbu0\qh0g\enotes
\finextrait % terminate excerpt

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 Adam Lindsay                  +44(0)1524 594 537

* Re: startTEXapplication and music?
@ 2002-11-07 11:09 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-07 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:54 AM 11/7/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi ConTeXters,
>
>Here's another oddball question to see what's possible.
>
>I'm trying to get musictex (or musixtex, if the first one is a success)
>to work from within ConTeXt. Musictex code like that at the bottom of my
>message doesn't work directly in ConTeXt, and I don't feel the pressing
>need to make it work. However, it works fine when fed through pdftex.
>
>While doing a quick grep through the source files, I came across the
>\startTEXapplication and \startTEXpage macros used in the pstricks
>module, and they look like they handle the spirit of what I'm trying to
>accomplish. However, the pass through texexec again (and to some extent
>the dependency on ps2pdf, which I need to get from ghostscript and isn't
>in my TeXLive) means that ConTeXt fails on a tmp file, right?
>
>Would this be a good time to learn about buffers? Should I copy-paste the
>definitions involved with TEXapplication and modify them to something to
>my needs? Is there something that exists already that runs a simple
>pdftex on a code block and inserts it as a figure?
>
>thanks,
>adam
>musictex code follows:
>
>\input musicnft
>\input musictex
>
>\def\nbinstruments{1}\relax % a single instrument
>\generalmeter{\meterfrac{4}{4}}\relax % 4/4 meter chosen
>\debutextrait % starting real score
>\normal % normal 12 pt note spacing
>\temps\Notes\ibu0f0\qh0{cge}\tbu0\qh0g\enotes
>\finextrait % terminate excerpt

I'll send you a test file. The problem is: how to set up musictex to
provide a nicely cropped box. I have no time to look into that now, so
that's up to you to find out

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: startTEXapplication and music?
@ 2002-11-07 19:06 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2002-11-07 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Adam,

With interest I read your posting. - I was in contact with Hans some time
ago about this.
However Hans is to busy to go and study the musixtex-package...

I tried to find out how this might be done to have CONTEXT to use it. how
ever I failed to krack the nut.

Personally I am using at this moment musixtex as a processor for files
generated with PMX and I run it through pdftex. - Because I have to typeset
a collection of short songs with texts (this happens to work well with
musixlyr) I experience troubles how I am going to assemble the final
booklet. ...

I saw that Hans sent you a test file. May be you are so kind to keep me
informed about the possibilities suggested by him.

For you rinformation I add two examples of what I have achieved sofar.

Kind regards Willi