* Simplefonts: Font scaling problem
@ 2011-11-11 17:14 Christian
From: Christian @ 2011-11-11 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening!
I want to scale a font loaded via the simplefonts so sans and serif have the same x-height.
But as soon as I use a font size larger than 12pt, the scaling is somehow off or ignored.
Example:

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setupsimplefonts[expansion=quality, protrusion=quality]
\setmainfont[Times New Roman]
\setsansfont[Arial][scale=0.863]
\starttext
\setupbodyfont[6pt]
06pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %fine
\setupbodyfont[12pt]
12pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %fine, too
\setupbodyfont[14pt]
14pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %here it starts to be off
\setupbodyfont[16pt]
16pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\
\stoptext

What is up with that?

[-- Attachment #2: FontScaling.JPG --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 23716 bytes --]

* Re: Simplefonts: Font scaling problem
@ 2011-11-11 17:20 ` Christian
From: Christian @ 2011-11-11 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Good evening!
> I want to scale a font loaded via the simplefonts so sans and serif have the
> same x-height.
> But as soon as I use a font size larger than 12pt, the scaling is somehow off or
> ignored.
> Example:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \setupsimplefonts[expansion=quality, protrusion=quality]
> \setmainfont[Times New Roman]
> \setsansfont[Arial][scale=0.863]
> \starttext
> \setupbodyfont[6pt]
> 06pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %fine
> \setupbodyfont[12pt]
> 12pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %fine, too
> \setupbodyfont[14pt]
> 14pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %here it starts to be off
> \setupbodyfont[16pt]
> 16pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\
> \stoptext
>
> What is up with that?

Additional Information:
11pt -> working fine
11.5pt -> not working / not scaled
12pt-> working fine

ConTeXt  ver: 2011.11.09 20:58 MKIV

* Re: Simplefonts: Font scaling problem
@ 2011-11-12 10:01   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2011-11-12 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/11/2011 06:20 PM, Christian wrote:
> Good evening!
>>  I want to scale a font loaded via the simplefonts so sans and serif have the
>>  same x-height.
>>  But as soon as I use a font size larger than 12pt, the scaling is somehow off or
>>  ignored.
>>  Example:
>>
>>  \usemodule[simplefonts]
>>  \setupsimplefonts[expansion=quality, protrusion=quality]
>>  \setmainfont[Times New Roman]
>>  \setsansfont[Arial][scale=0.863]
>>  \starttext
>>  \setupbodyfont[6pt]
>>  06pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %fine
>>  \setupbodyfont[12pt]
>>  12pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %fine, too
>>  \setupbodyfont[14pt]
>>  14pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %here it starts to be off
>>  \setupbodyfont[16pt]
>>  16pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\
>>  \stoptext

Your example is a bit difficult to test here because it's
windows-centric, I don't have Arial on my system. But by looking at it,
you should have something like this in your file before setting the fonts:

\starttypescript [sans] [default] [size]
\definebodyfont [16pt] [ss] [default]
\stoptypescript
\definebodyfontenvironment[16pt]

and so on for other arbitrary sizes. ConTeXt doesn't define complete
environments for every imaginable size (but I imagine Wolfgang may come
up with a clever solution within his module).

HTH

Thomas

* Re: Simplefonts: Font scaling problem
@ 2011-11-12 14:33     ` Christian
From: Christian @ 2011-11-12 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >>  I want to scale a font loaded via the simplefonts so sans and serif
> >> have the  same x-height.
> >>  But as soon as I use a font size larger than 12pt, the scaling is
> >> somehow off or  ignored.
> >>  Example:
> >>
> >>  \usemodule[simplefonts]
> >>  \setupsimplefonts[expansion=quality, protrusion=quality]
> >> \setmainfont[Times New Roman]  \setsansfont[Arial][scale=0.863]
> >> \starttext  \setupbodyfont[6pt]  06pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %fine
> >> \setupbodyfont[12pt]  12pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %fine, too
> >> \setupbodyfont[14pt]  14pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %here it starts to
> >> be off  \setupbodyfont[16pt]  16pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\  \stoptext
>
> Your example is a bit difficult to test here because it's windows-centric, I
> don't have Arial on my system. But by looking at it, you should have
> something like this in your file before setting the fonts:
>
> \starttypescript [sans] [default] [size] \definebodyfont [16pt] [ss] [default]
> \stoptypescript \definebodyfontenvironment[16pt]
>
> and so on for other arbitrary sizes. ConTeXt doesn't define complete
> environments for every imaginable size (but I imagine Wolfgang may come
> up with a clever solution within his module).

You are right! It's all fine, when I add the code you posted and insert the appropriate sizes for those where it didn't work before.
Thanks for your help.

* Re: Simplefonts: Font scaling problem
@ 2011-11-12 14:44     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-12 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.11.2011 um 11:01 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

> On 11/11/2011 06:20 PM, Christian wrote:
>> Good evening!
>>> I want to scale a font loaded via the simplefonts so sans and serif have the
>>> same x-height.
>>> But as soon as I use a font size larger than 12pt, the scaling is somehow off or
>>> ignored.
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>>> \setupsimplefonts[expansion=quality, protrusion=quality]
>>> \setmainfont[Times New Roman]
>>> \setsansfont[Arial][scale=0.863]
>>> \starttext
>>> \setupbodyfont[6pt]
>>> 06pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %fine
>>> \setupbodyfont[12pt]
>>> 12pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %fine, too
>>> \setupbodyfont[14pt]
>>> 14pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\ %here it starts to be off
>>> \setupbodyfont[16pt]
>>> 16pt serif xx{\ss xx sans}\\
>>> \stoptext
>
> Your example is a bit difficult to test here because it's windows-centric, I don't have Arial on my system. But by looking at it, you should have something like this in your file before setting the fonts:
>
> \starttypescript [sans] [default] [size]
> \definebodyfont [16pt] [ss] [default]
> \stoptypescript
> \definebodyfontenvironment[16pt]
>
> and so on for other arbitrary sizes. ConTeXt doesn't define complete environments for every imaginable size (but I imagine Wolfgang may come up with a clever solution within his module).

A clever solution would take a while because in this case i want to change the whole code in rewrite it with all the new mkiv goodies and the spec interface.

A fast solution is also possible but it won’t be more than a fix.

Wolfgang

* Re: Simplefonts: Font scaling problem
@ 2011-11-12 14:48       ` Christian
From: Christian @ 2011-11-12 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >> Good evening!

> > Your example is a bit difficult to test here because it's windows-centric, I
> don't have Arial on my system. But by looking at it, you should have
> something like this in your file before setting the fonts:
> >
> > \starttypescript [sans] [default] [size] \definebodyfont [16pt] [ss]
> > [default] \stoptypescript \definebodyfontenvironment[16pt]
> >
> > and so on for other arbitrary sizes. ConTeXt doesn't define complete
> environments for every imaginable size (but I imagine Wolfgang may come
> up with a clever solution within his module).
>
> A clever solution would take a while because in this case i want to change the
> whole code in rewrite it with all the new mkiv goodies and the spec interface.
>
> A fast solution is also possible but it won’t be more than a fix.

No need to rush from my part. I have what I need (bodyfont in 11.5pt with a properly scaled sans companion).
I get the rest of the font sizes with \tfa etc. and that keeps the proportions intact.