* Re: Am not getting Roman numeral page numbers in MKIV
@ 2011-03-12  8:35 Jeong Dalyoung
From: Jeong Dalyoung @ 2011-03-12  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Tom,

Since I am an enduser of ConTeXt, I couldn't expalin what happens here.
 I just run your code in the mail and got the following results.

> 1. Front matter page numbers are not lower-case Roman numerals although they
> are listed as such in the TOC.

The Roman numerals in both front part and in TOC.

> 2. The Introduction is not listed in the TOC.

Same as your output. No

> 3. Page numbering isn't reset to 1 in the bodymatter section.

Same as you, but if I change \startstructureblockenvironment[bodymatter] to \startstructureblockenvironment[bodypart], then Introduction starts from page 1.
So I guess that there are something between [bodymatter] and [bodypart].

best regards,

Dalyoung

* Re: Am not getting Roman numeral page numbers in MKIV
@ 2011-03-12 13:46 ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-03-12 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me, Dalyoung. I changed
bodymatter to bodypart in two places and got the same results as you did.
Page numbering is reset to 1 for the Introduction. However, I still don't
get Roman numerals in the front part and, as you also experienced, the TOC
is not listed in the TOC.

I am using Texlive 2010, which I downloaded on February 11, just two months
ago yesterday. One would expect such basic functions to be rock solid in
MKIV by now.

What version are you using?

I have avoided downloading Minimals for the reasons mentioned in the thread
currently running on documentation plus that I don't want to be constantly
downloading new versions because of serious bugs and having simple things
that formerly worked to no longer work due to one of these bugs. I am not
using advanced features by any means. This is very frustrating.

BTW, where did you read to use front part instead of frontmatter?

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

       [not found] <mailman.1380.1299938867.4223.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2011-03-13 12:49 ` Jeong Dalyoung
From: Jeong Dalyoung @ 2011-03-13 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Tom,

> What version are you using?

I am using minimal not TeXlive2010. Of course, there are some bugs in beta. But it would be fixed soon.
Moreover, you can have more than one Minimal folder. So it is easy to use stable version if the beta has bugs.

> BTW, where did you read to use front part instead of frontmatter?

There was a thread whose title is "Roman Page numbers".
And among the mails on 2009. 2. 4, there was a sample written by Wolfgang .

\definestructureconversionset[frontpart:pagenumber][][romannumerals]
\definestructureconversionset[bodypart:pagenumber] [][numbers]

\setuplist[chapter][pageconversionset=pagenumber]

\startstructureblockenvironment[frontpart]

\setupuserpagenumber[numberconversion=romannumerals]
\setuppagenumber[number=1]

\stopstructureblockenvironment

\startstructureblockenvironment[bodypart]

\setuppagenumber[number=1]

\stopstructureblockenvironment

\starttext

\startfrontmatter

\completecontent[criterium=all]

\chapter{Intro}

\input tufte

\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter

\chapter{knuth}

\input knuth

\stopbodymatter

\stoptext

Mailing list is a good place for me to learn ConTeXt. There are so many things which are not described in the manual.
I cannot give you a solution. But many experts who are reading this list will give you a solution.

Cheers,

Dalyoung

* Re: Am not getting Roman numeral page numbers in MKIV
@ 2011-03-11 18:04       ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-03-11 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I used to think I was of average intelligence but I can't figure out to do
the most basic thing in ConTeXt. My current problems with this simple code
are:

1. Front matter page numbers are not lower-case Roman numerals although they
are listed as such in the TOC.
2. The Introduction is not listed in the TOC.
3. Page numbering isn't reset to 1 in the bodymatter section.

Obviously, I'm not reading the correct documentation or am too stupid to
understand what I am reading.

\definehead [intro][chapter]
\setuphead  [intro][incrementnumber=no]

\definestructureconversionset[frontpart:pagenumber][][romannumerals]
%pagenumbers in TOC not converted if frontmatter

\definestructureconversionset[bodymatter:pagenumber] [][numbers]
\setuplist[chapter][pageconversionset=pagenumber]
\setuplist[intro][pageconversionset=pagenumber]

\startstructureblockenvironment[frontmatter]
%whether frontpart or frontmatter seems to make no difference

\setuppagenumber[number=1]

\setuppagenumbering[state=start,location=bottom,conversion=romannumerals]

\definecombinedlist [content][intro,chapter,section]

\stopstructureblockenvironment

\startstructureblockenvironment[bodymatter]

\setuppagenumber[state=start,number=1]

\setuppagenumbering[state=start,location=bottom,conversion=numbers]

\stopstructureblockenvironment

\startstructureblockenvironment[backmatter]

\stopstructureblockenvironment

\starttext

\startfrontmatter % errors on startfrontpart

%sample front matter
\input knuth      %page numbers not being converted to Roman numerals

\completecontent[alternative=c,criterium=all]

\chapter{Preface}
\input knuth

\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter

\intro{Introduction}  %is not appearing in TOC
\input knuth          %page number not being set to 1

\chapter{I Was Born}
\input knuth

\chapter{I Observe}
\input knuth

\stopbodymatter

\startbackmatter

\stopbackmatter

\stoptext

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

* Re: Am not getting Roman numeral page numbers in MKIV
@ 2011-03-11 17:06     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-11 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.03.2011 um 16:17 schrieb Tom:

> Where is a good explanation of the structureblockenvironment?

structureblocks and sectionblocks are the same, both collect setups which
are flushed at the begin of the given sectionblock.

Wolfgang

* Re: Am not getting Roman numeral page numbers in MKIV
@ 2011-03-11 15:17   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-03-11 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

In MKIV, I am still unable to get lower-case Roman numeral page numbers on
the front matter pages, but if I use frontpart in the \defineconversionset
instead of frontmatter, the page numbers in the ToC are converted. Where is
a good explanation of the structureblockenvironment?

\definestructureconversionset[frontpart:pagenumber][][romannumerals]
%pagenumbers in TOC not converted if frontmatter

\definestructureconversionset[bodymatter:pagenumber] [][numbers]
\setuplist[chapter][pageconversionset=pagenumber]

\definehead [intro][chapter]
\setuphead  [intro][number=no]

\startstructureblockenvironment[frontmatter]
%whether frontpart or frontmatter seems to make no difference

\setuppagenumbering
     [conversion=romannumerals, location=bottom]
\setuppagenumber[number=1]

\definecombinedlist [content][intro,chapter,section]

\stopstructureblockenvironment

\startstructureblockenvironment[bodymatter]

\setuppagenumbering
     [conversion=numbers, location=bottom]
\setuppagenumber[number=1]

\stopstructureblockenvironment

\startstructureblockenvironment[backmatter]

\stopstructureblockenvironment

\starttext

\startfrontmatter % errors on startfrontpart

%sample front matter
\input knuth

\completecontent[alternative=c,criterium=all]

\chapter{Preface}
\input knuth

\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter

\intro{Introduction}
\input knuth

\setupheadnumber[chapter][0] %resets first chapter number to 1
\setuppagenumbering
     [state=start,

From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-11 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-03-11  5:00 Jeong Dalyoung
From: Jeong Dalyoung @ 2011-03-11  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Tom,

Please add following lines in the preamble, then you will get roman numerals.

\definestructureconversionset[frontpart:pagenumber][][romannumerals]
\definestructureconversionset[bodypart:pagenumber] [][numbers]

Also I use \startstructureblockenvironment[backpart] instead of \startsectionblockenvironment[backmatter].

cheers, and enjoy ConTeXt!

Dalyoung

* Am not getting Roman numeral page numbers in MKIV
@ 2011-03-10 21:37 Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-03-10 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

The following code is intended to produce lower-case Roman numeral page
numbers for the first 3 pages before switching to Hindu-Arabic numerals
starting with the Introduction. However, I get Hindu-Arabic numerals instead
of the lower-case Roman numerals page numbers.

\definehead [intro][chapter]
\setuphead  [intro][number=no]

\setuppagenumbering
     [state=start,
      conversion=romannumerals, location=bottom]

\startsectionblockenvironment[frontpart]

\definecombinedlist [content][intro,chapter,section]

\stopsectionblockenvironment

\startsectionblockenvironment[bodypart]

\stopsectionblockenvironment

\startsectionblockenvironment[backmatter]

\stopsectionblockenvironment

\starttext
\setuppagenumber[state=start]

\startfrontmatter

%sample front matter
\input knuth

\completecontent[alternative=c,criterium=all]

\chapter{Preface}
\input knuth

\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter

\setuppagenumber[state=start,conversion=number,number=1]