* RE: Expand cont-ger.tex
@ 1999-11-15 19:23 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-11-15 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If I would make it default
> for dutch, it could break existing documents with normal "'s.
> Although, as long as one never uses " '' `` but \quote and
> \quotation instead, making " active is pretty safe.

What do people on this list think? I've used it for a few days now, and are
quite happy with it (now if I only could get the emacs spelling mode to
recognize "e life would be perfect).

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Expand cont-ger.tex
@ 1999-11-15 18:34 Karsten Tinnefeld
From: Karsten Tinnefeld @ 1999-11-15 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >These shorthands seem to be the only ones from german/babel not
> >implemented in cont-ger - why?
>
> Since I don't use latex, I just implemented what tobias told me to
> implement. BTW, the shortcut mechanism is available for other purposes
> too, just take a look at supp-lan.tex

My first impression is that a few and may be the most important
breakpoint issues are
met.

> >"-	allow hyphenation here, but do not disallow elsewhere, as \"

My typo, sorry: "- contrasts to \- and does not produce anything when
not at a line break. || always produces a hyphen glyph.

> >	does, used in OT1 encoded text containing e.g. umlauts
> >""	insert \discretionary{}{}{} (empty breakpoint) here,
> >	used after solidi (/)
>
> |/|    |)|   |(|

Ahem, I meant only the solidus, not the parens. Taking the german.sty
example, I want Ein"~/""Ausgang to become Ein-/¦Ausgang (the ¦
indicating the only breakpoint).

> || |-| |~| |--| |hello world|

The active vertical bar trick seems to be rather flexible, but I am not
yet sure if I can do a simple mapping that supports all features
(deepingly hidden in quite some texts). I'll try to dig into
supp-lan.tex later, 'though it does not seem to have typesettable docs.

In case you're interested, germanb.dtx in babel provides English
documentation to what I was talking about.

Something like this may be right, but it produces a lot of errors (I
inserted before \starttext, maybe just catcode problems:

\installcompoundcharacter "-
  {\prewordbreak\discretionary{-}{}{}\postwordbreak}
\installcompoundcharacter ""
  {\prewordbreak\allowbreak\postwordbreak}
\installcompoundcharacter "|
  {\prewordbreak\discretionary{-}{}{\thinspace}\postwordbreak}
\installcompoundcharacter "~
  {\hbox{\compoundhyphen}}
\installcompoundcharacter "=
  {\prewordbreak\hbox{\compoundhyphen}\allowbreak\postwordbreak}

Karsten
--
Karsten Tinnefeld                       tinnefeld@ls2.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Fachbereich Informatik, Lehrstuhl 2                   T +49 231 755-4737

* Re: Expand cont-ger.tex
@ 1999-11-15 17:28   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-15 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:31 PM 11/15/99 +0100, Karsten Tinnefeld wrote:

>These shorthands seem to be the only ones from german/babel not
>implemented in cont-ger - why?

Since I don't use latex, I just implemented what tobias told me to implement. BTW, the shortcut mechanism is available for other purposes too, just take a look at supp-lan.tex

>"-	allow hyphenation here, but do not disallow elsewhere, as \"

>	does, used in OT1 encoded text containing e.g. umlauts
>""	insert \discretionary{}{}{} (empty breakpoint) here,
>	used after solidi (/)

|/|    |)|   |(|

>"|	prevent ligatures, , allow break, insert \/;used e.g. when 1st
>	syllable ends "f" and second starts "l"
>"~	fixed dash, no breaks allowed (tying short abbreviation to word
>	or leaving out first (repeated) part of a word
>"=	(like || ?) add \discretionary{-}{}{-}, allow break

|| |-| |~| |--| |hello world|

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Expand cont-ger.tex
@ 1999-11-15 14:31 ` Karsten Tinnefeld
From: Karsten Tinnefeld @ 1999-11-15 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >\startlanguagespecifics[nl]
> >  \installcompoundcharacter "a {\"a}
> >  \installcompoundcharacter "e {\"e}
> >  \installcompoundcharacter "o {\"o}
> >\stoplanguagespecifics

> German users are very accustomed to this "<a><b> convention which is
> why it is default there. If I would make it default for dutch, it could
> break existing documents with normal "'s. Although, as long as one never
> uses " '' `` but \quote and \quotation instead, making " active is pretty
> safe.

What I really learned to love about german.sty/germanb.lfd are the tie
setting rules - so far that I use to apply them in my English texts as well.
(I'm not so much into "u's as I rely on \benutzekodierung[win]/
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}.)

"= seems to be the same as || in \CONTEXT, as Eui||feest in the
introduction suggests.

@ 1999-11-15 11:40 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-15 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:01 PM 11/13/99 +0100, Berend de Boer wrote:

>This is my current suggestion:
>
>\startlanguagespecifics[nl]
>  \installcompoundcharacter "a {\"a}
>  \installcompoundcharacter "e {\"e}
>  \installcompoundcharacter "o {\"o}
>\stoplanguagespecifics

You can add this section to your cont-sys.tex and say \nl afterwards.

German users are very accustomed to this "<a><b> convention which is why it is default there. If I would make it default for dutch, it could break existing documents with normal "'s. Although, as long as one never uses " '' `` but \quote and \quotation instead, making " active is pretty safe.

I' thinking of adding a switch to the language definitions that enables/disables the specifics, in which case I could indeed add the definitions you mention to the lang files.

I'll come back to this.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Expand cont-ger.tex
@ 1999-11-13 15:01 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-11-13 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hai Hans,

I suggest that cont-ger is expanded with some things to type in dutch code
is a lot easier:

This is my current suggestion:

\startlanguagespecifics[nl]
  \installcompoundcharacter "a {\"a}
  \installcompoundcharacter "e {\"e}
  \installcompoundcharacter "o {\"o}
\stoplanguagespecifics

Maybe other dutch language interested have more ideas? Like accents and so
on.

With these settings I can now type:

	co"ordinator

instead of