* Converting numerals to text
@ 2010-06-26 20:31 Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-06-26 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Is there a command or macro that converts a numeral to its English language
equivalent? For example, I would like to display Thirteen for 13.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
Twitter: @TomBenjey

* Re: Converting numerals to text
@ 2010-06-26 23:05 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-06-26 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 22:31, Tom wrote:
> Is there a command or macro that converts a numeral to its English language
> equivalent? For example, I would like to display Thirteen for 13.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Page_numbering_in_words

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/33962/focus=34304
(there is an attachment t-counting.tex in that thread)

Mojca

* Re: Converting numerals to text
@ 2010-06-27 23:48   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-06-27 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 22:31, Tom wrote:
> Is there a command or macro that converts a numeral to its English
language
> equivalent? For example, I would like to display Thirteen for 13.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Page_numbering_in_words

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/33962/focus=34304
(there is an attachment t-counting.tex in that thread)

Mojca

The wiki includes the code for a macro, \numstr, that can be used to create
lower-case chapter numbers, but when I try to capitalize the first word, get
error messages. For example, the following errors out:

Chapter \Word{\numstr{23}}

As does

Chapter \Words{\numstr{23}}

but

Chapter \numstr{23}

Works as does

Chapter \Words{twenty-three}

However, the former returns twenty-three (all lower case)
and the latter returns Twenty-three (only the first part is in upper case)

It's not clear from the Chicago Manual of Style if three should be
capitalized in this instance but, to my eye, it doesn't look right. Is there
a way to convert chapter numbers to text and select the desired
capitalization?

@ 2010-06-28  2:31     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-06-28  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, Tom wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 22:31, Tom wrote:
>> Is there a command or macro that converts a numeral to its English
> language
>> equivalent? For example, I would like to display Thirteen for 13.
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Page_numbering_in_words
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/33962/focus=34304
> (there is an attachment t-counting.tex in that thread)
>
> Mojca
>

> The wiki includes the code for a macro, \numstr, that can be used to create
> lower-case chapter numbers, but when I try to capitalize the first word, get
> error messages. For example, the following errors out:
>
> Chapter \Word{\numstr{23}}
>
> As does
>
> Chapter \Words{\numstr{23}}
>
> but
>
> Chapter \numstr{23}
>
> Works as does
>
> Chapter \Words{twenty-three}
>
> However, the former returns twenty-three (all lower case)
> and the latter returns Twenty-three (only the first part is in upper case)
>
> It's not clear from the Chicago Manual of Style if three should be
> capitalized in this instance but, to my eye, it doesn't look right. Is there
> a way to convert chapter numbers to text and select the desired
> capitalization?

If you want every word to be capitalized, simply change one, two, three,
etc in the source of \numstr to One, Two, Three.

Aditya

* Re: Converting numerals to text
@ 2010-06-28  3:22       ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-06-28  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, Tom wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 22:31, Tom wrote:
>> Is there a command or macro that converts a numeral to its English
> language
>> equivalent? For example, I would like to display Thirteen for 13.
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Page_numbering_in_words
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/33962/focus=34304
> (there is an attachment t-counting.tex in that thread)
>
> Mojca
>

> The wiki includes the code for a macro, \numstr, that can be used to
create
> lower-case chapter numbers, but when I try to capitalize the first word,
get
> error messages. For example, the following errors out:
>
> Chapter \Word{\numstr{23}}
>
> As does
>
> Chapter \Words{\numstr{23}}
>
> but
>
> Chapter \numstr{23}
>
> Works as does
>
> Chapter \Words{twenty-three}
>
> However, the former returns twenty-three (all lower case)
> and the latter returns Twenty-three (only the first part is in upper case)
>
> It's not clear from the Chicago Manual of Style if three should be
> capitalized in this instance but, to my eye, it doesn't look right. Is
there
> a way to convert chapter numbers to text and select the desired
> capitalization?

If you want every word to be capitalized, simply change one, two, three,
etc in the source of \numstr to One, Two, Three.

Aditya

If I do that, they will always be in upper case. I would lose the option of
having them in lower case.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax