* RE: language specifics
@ 1999-11-16 19:26 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-11-16 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> a) Do we still have to account for 7-bit ascii?

I think the answer is yes. 7-bit or else unicode. 7-bit is readable even
through the most basic telnet package or weird ms-dos code page.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* mistake in lang-cjk.mkiv
@ 2010-05-03 18:43 Tomáš Pustelník
From: Tomáš Pustelník @ 2010-05-03 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have found a glitch in lang-cjk.mkiv in definition of Japanese language name of days are shifted. It begins at line 136, sunday is actualy monday etc.
In source code it looks like that:

\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!sunday=月曜日]
\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!monday=火曜日]
\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!tuesday=水曜日]
\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!wednesday=木曜日]
\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!thursday=金曜日]
\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!friday=土曜日]
\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!saturday=日曜日]

but it should be:

\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!monday=月曜日]
\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!tuesday=火曜日]
\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!wednesday=水曜日]
\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!thursday=木曜日]
\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!friday=金曜日]
\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!saturday=土曜日]
\setuplabeltext [\s!ja]    [\v!sunday=日曜日]

Also I would like to ask if file lang-spe.mkii have some equivalent in MkIV and  where the language specifics are defined (in which file)? Or is it treated in enco files?

Thank you for answers.

Tomas Pustelnik

* RE: language specifics
@ 1999-11-16 19:24 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-11-16 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The main problem is in the weird ones. I have no problem with
> the "e and alike ones, but using them for compound words and
> quotes is a bad idea, since context has dedicated
> alternatives for those, which also have options.

For me "e and such is good enough. For the others, I'm quite used to the
alternatives.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: language specifics
@ 1999-11-16 18:18 Karsten Tinnefeld
From: Karsten Tinnefeld @ 1999-11-16 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The main problem is in the weird ones. I have no problem with the "e
> and alike ones, but using them for compound words and quotes is a bad
> idea, since context has dedicated alternatives for those, which also
> have options. To what extend do we need to satisfy habits and features
> from for instance latex?

It is a sensible argument that many of the abbreviations I've been
discussing to you in the last few days may be kind of complicated crap,
let alone of no use to a lot of languages.

However, the functionality provided appears to me to be quite important
- at least as long as we still build on 7- or 8-bit input code sets.
The german package for that instance has evolved for the last twelve
years, so that I expect the basics to having been settled. On the other
hand, all but the very simplest ligatures are defined more or less
arbitrarily, and explaining plain paragraph source to a wysiayg user is
a nontrivial task.

Thus, if context has even more powerful tools that can cope in all
necessary cases, maybe this is the time to consider turning to a more
reasonable source encoding. In this case, my questions are:

a) Do we still have to account for 7-bit ascii?
b) How do we encode the various ways of hyphening and dash-ing in a most
   non-ideosyncratic way?

Karsten
--
Karsten Tinnefeld                       tinnefeld@ls2.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Fachbereich Informatik, Lehrstuhl 2                   T +49 231 755-4737

* language specifics
@ 1999-11-16 17:20 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-16 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

There have been some mails on language specifics in dutch, but in croation they also seem to apply. I wonder if we always want those specifics to be the default, since there is no real way to turn them off. So, an option is to add a key to each \setuplanguage, which can be set by the user in cont-sys.tex or in the file itself. On the other hand, this would mean breaking downward compatibility for german and polish, since they default to specifics. The complication is that I probably have to group them (more convenient).

The main problem is in the weird ones. I have no problem with the "e and alike ones, but using them for compound words and quotes is a bad idea, since context has dedicated alternatives for those, which also have options. To what extend do we need to satisfy habits and features from for instance latex?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE