* Re: miscellaneous trivia
@ 1999-06-07  9:52 Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 1999-06-07  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>Gilbert,
>
>Hmmm... Are you sure it doesn't adjust the spacing on the right of the page
>as well?

Yes it does, but only if you want it to. I made a mistake for the topspace.
It is actually the space from the top of the paper to the head-text.

Gilbert.

* Re: miscellaneous trivia
@ 1999-06-03 18:44 ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 1999-06-03 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:20 PM 6/3/99 +0200, you wrote:
>>3. Can somebody describe backspace to me? What exactly, is backspace, in
>>the layout of a context doc?
>
>In dutch: rugwit, the amount of white-space between the left-edge of the
>paper and the actual text:
>
>Paper:
>+-----------------------------------.....
>|                  ^
>|                  topspace
>|               +-------------........
>|<- backspace ->|Chapter one: Here we go....
>|               |
>|               |
>|               .
>.
>.
>

>Gilbert.

* Re: miscellaneous trivia
@ 1999-06-03 10:20 Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 1999-06-03 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>3. Can somebody describe backspace to me? What exactly, is backspace, in
>the layout of a context doc?

In dutch: rugwit, the amount of white-space between the left-edge of the
paper and the actual text:

Paper:
+-----------------------------------.....
|                  ^
|                  topspace
|               +-------------........
|<- backspace ->|Chapter one: Here we go....
|               |
|               |
|               .
.
.

Gilbert.

* Re: miscellaneous trivia
@ 1999-06-03  8:54 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-06-03  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

    David> All, 1. It seems pretty clear to me that

    David> creates a buffer by creating a file, david.tmp, on
    David> disk. But how does the buffer get saved without the logical
    David> name, as in

\jobname.tmp

This is why you can have only one unnamed buffer.

    David> 2. I am assuming, like dvi files, that it is safe to remove
    David> tuo and tui files from the system, correct?

Yes, when done with the tex file these are no longer of any use. While
you are still working, you'd better keep the tuo, since this functions
as auxiliary file.

    David> 3. Can somebody describe backspace to me? What exactly, is
    David> backspace, in the layout of a context doc?

Good question. I never used it, but my guess is that it is roughly
what LaTeX calls \evensidemargin and \oddsidemargin: the horizontal
space between the binding and the start of the body text. Terminology
is a little different from LaTeX here, because 'backspace' is a
constant instead of a two fold parameter.

Greetings, Taco

* miscellaneous trivia
@ 1999-06-03  5:00 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 1999-06-03  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

1. It seems pretty clear to me that

\starttext

\startbuffer[david]

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their
country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of
their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid
of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the
aid of their country.

\stopbuffer

\getbuffer[david]

\typebuffer[david]

\stoptext

creates a buffer by creating a file, david.tmp, on disk. But how does the
buffer get saved without the logical name, as in

\starttext

\startbuffer

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their
country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of
their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid
of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the
aid of their country.

\stopbuffer

\getbuffer

\typebuffer