* setuptyping / linenumbers
@ 2001-02-19 12:53 Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2001-02-19 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I want to type some c-source files.  As suggested by Ed, I use

    \def\displayfile#1{%
            \startlinenumbering[type=small]
            \typefile{#1}
            \stoplinenumbering\page}

For the document I have setup the pagelayout with a very small left margin.
So I tried to use
  \setuplinenumbering[location=intext]
There is new space at the left of the text, but the linenumbers are outside
the text area.  What happens?

Because the deadline for the document is "yesterday" (as always ;-))  I
tried to use the default [location=inmargin] but now the linenumbers are
partly inside the text area box because it has an offset of 2mm.

How can I increase the distance between the typeset text and its
linenumbers?  I tried "backspace" but this increases left _and_ right
margins.  Next I set "leftmargindistance" but this seems to be related to
doublesided layout -- nothing changes.

How can I change left margins (edges, distances, etc.) of a
singlesided layout independent from the right ones?

Uwe

P.S.:  Feedback for my other questions after the deadline ;-))

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Re: setuptyping / linenumbers
@ 2001-02-19 14:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-19 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 01:53 PM 2/19/01 +0100, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I want to type some c-source files.  As suggested by Ed, I use
>
>    \def\displayfile#1{%
>            \startlinenumbering[type=small]
>            \typefile{#1}
>            \stoplinenumbering\page}
>
>For the document I have setup the pagelayout with a very small left margin.
>So I tried to use
>  \setuplinenumbering[location=intext]
>There is new space at the left of the text, but the linenumbers are outside
>the text area.  What happens?
>
>Because the deadline for the document is "yesterday" (as always ;-))  I
>tried to use the default [location=inmargin] but now the linenumbers are
>partly inside the text area box because it has an offset of 2mm.
>
>How can I increase the distance between the typeset text and its
>linenumbers?  I tried "backspace" but this increases left _and_ right
>margins.  Next I set "leftmargindistance" but this seems to be related to
>doublesided layout -- nothing changes.
>
>How can I change left margins (edges, distances, etc.) of a
>singlesided layout independent from the right ones?

leftmargin=dimension
rightmargin=dimension
leftmargindistance=dimension
rightmargindistance=dimension

also "inmargin" swaps, so you mat prefer "inleft"

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: setuptyping / linenumbers
@ 2001-02-20  1:41   ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2001-02-20  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

You wrote on Montag, 19. Februar 2001 15:57:
>>How can I change left margins (edges, distances, etc.) of a
>>singlesided layout independent from the right ones?
>
>leftmargin=dimension
>rightmargin=dimension
>leftmargindistance=dimension
>rightmargindistance=dimension

Ok, I am stymied :-(((  After a long series of experiments, I found an
example document worked out a layout that works for me, but neither see nor
understand the relationship between the settings ...

\setuppapersize
  [S6][S6]

\setuplayout
  [header=0cm,
   topspace=.5cm,
   backspace=.5cm,       % (1)
   leftmargin=0cm,
   margindistance=.5cm,
   rightmargin=0cm,
   rightedge=3cm,
   width=fit]

\showframe

\starttext

\section{Eins}
\input tufte

\page
\setuplayout
  [leftmargin=.8cm,backspace=1.7cm,leftmargindistance=.4cm] % (2)
%\setuplayout
% [leftmargin=.7cm,backspace=1.7cm,leftmargindistance=.5cm] % (3)
\section{Zwei}
\input hofstadter

\stoptext

This works ok -- but if I change only one parameter of leftmargin or
backspace in (1) or (2) the layout jumps.  And if I use (3) instead of (2)
all my thoughts about a relationship between the settings went away :-|

So what equations have to be solved to get a non jumping layout?

What of the following is wrong -- or what is missing / incomplete?
- backspace is the distance between pageborder at the left (or inner) side
  and the textarea
- (left)margindistance is the distance between the textarea and the margin.
- (left)margin is the width of the margin
- edge is between margin and paperborder
  where does edgedistance come in?  Between margin and edge? edge an
  paperborder? or both?

Uwe

--

@ 2001-02-20  6:34     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-02-20  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Uwe Koloska wrote:

> What of the following is wrong -- or what is missing / incomplete?
> - backspace is the distance between pageborder at the left (or inner) side
>   and the textarea
> - (left)margindistance is the distance between the textarea and the margin.
> - (left)margin is the width of the margin

So far so good.

> - edge is between margin and paperborder
>   where does edgedistance come in?  Between margin and edge? edge an
>   paperborder? or both?

Not sure, never needed it I think. Perhaps Hans can supply a set of
relations?

I think the entire width of a physical page is:

	backspace + textarea + rightedge + rightedgedistance

for a right page.

Margin's do not influence typesetting, so they can be as large/small as
you wish.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: setuptyping / linenumbers
@ 2001-02-20  9:36       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-20  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Uwe Koloska, ConTeXt

At 07:34 AM 2/20/01 +0100, Berend de Boer wrote:

>Uwe Koloska wrote:
>

>> What of the following is wrong -- or what is missing / incomplete?
>> - backspace is the distance between pageborder at the left (or inner) side
>>   and the textarea
>> - (left)margindistance is the distance between the textarea and the margin.
>> - (left)margin is the width of the margin
>
>So far so good.

the only dimensions that really matter are
width/height/topspace/backspace/footer/header

in order to support consistent layouts, one needs to keep the main galley
constant, which is why header/footer/text make up the height

the marginwidth is only important when it comes to breaking lines in the
margin / alignment

the margindistance determines the distance between the margin box and the
text and has no influence on the backspace

>> - edge is between margin and paperborder
>>   where does edgedistance come in?  Between margin and edge? edge an

between margin and edge, also distances are ignored when the width of a
margin/edge is zero

edges are virtual and there can be (when using multiple menus) lots of them

>>   paperborder? or both?

no, the distance to the paperborder is only determined by topspsace and
backspace (and bottomspace/cutspace when provided)

>Not sure, never needed it I think. Perhaps Hans can supply a set of
>relations?
>
>I think the entire width of a physical page is:
>
>	backspace + textarea + rightedge + rightedgedistance

No, just paperwidth and paperheight as determined by the papersize
settings, the header/text/footer is mapped onto the paper with the
(backspace,topspace) dimensions

>for a right page.

in doublesided layout, the margins/edges/backspace are swapped, when you
don't want this. you need to specify:
{doublesided,singlesided}

>Margin's do not influence typesetting, so they can be as large/small as
>you wish.

right,

@ 2001-02-21  2:24         ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2001-02-21  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

You wrote on Dienstag, 20. Februar 2001 10:36:

>the only dimensions that really matter are
>width/height/topspace/backspace/footer/header
>
>in order to support consistent layouts, one needs to keep the main galley
>constant, which is why header/footer/text make up the height
>
>the marginwidth is only important when it comes to breaking lines in the
>margin / alignment
>
>the margindistance determines the distance between the margin box and the
>text and has no influence on the backspace

Have you tried my example document?  This exactly is the problem, as the
manual says (and you have said it on this list) that margin doesn't effect
backspace.  But if I change
  \setuplayout[leftmargin=.5cm,backspace=1.3cm,leftmargindistance=.3cm]
  \setuplayout[leftmargin=.4cm,backspace=1.3cm,leftmargindistance=.3cm]
in the example, the layout frames jump ...

  |  |      text     |  |edge| |
  |   |mar|  | text | |edge|   |

this is only a rough scetch.  If it doesn't jump for you, I can give you
the resulting pdf that shows it ...

Uwe