From: Uwe Koloska <uwe.koloska@mailbox.tu-dresden.de>
Subject: Re: and again the szlig
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 19:54:45 +0100	[thread overview]

Am Mittwoch, 21. März 2001 15:27 hast du geschrieben:
> At 11:45 AM 3/21/01 +0100, Uwe Koloska wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I just tried the new beta 2001.3.12 but am not able to get an szlig.
> > The following input file has all umlauts correct but not the szlig:
> >
> >The &szlig; gives "SS" ...
>
> depending on the *encoding* used for the times fonts, (ec or texnansi),
> you now need to take a look at enco-ec.tex and enco-ans.tex

Yes, this is the part of the encoding thingy that I have (mostly)
understand ;-)

ssharp in latin1      := 223
ssharp on my computer := 223  (veryfied)

regi-win.tex: 223 -> \ssharp
enco-ec.tex:  ssharp -> 223

[long explanation deleted]

I have found the source of the error.  ec-encoding is the encoding
specified at the Cork TUG Meeting and because the glyphs used for this
encoding are not accessible with the adobe standard encoding, there is
TeXBase1 Encoding that is used for the raw fonts.  From TeXBase1 TeXandAnsi
is derived and has some advantages.  Long words for short:

    Latin1  Base1  Cork (aka ec)
ß     223    223       255

So the enco-ec has to be changed to

\definecharacter ssharp          255
\definecharacter Ssharp          223

So the problem was mine, correcting a bug in enco-ec the wrong way ...

Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/