* bug or feature? aer font problems
@ 2001-06-20 14:35 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-06-20 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

is this a bug or a feature???

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)
entering extended mode
(./type.tex{/home/gundlach/TeX/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2001.4.9  fmt: 2001.6.20  int: english  mes: english

\setupbodyfont[cmr]
\type{--}
\setupbodyfont[aer]
\starttext
\type{--}
\setupbodyfont[cmr]
\type{--}
\stoptext

gives me

--
-
-

strange...

Viele Gruesse,

  Patrick Gundlach

* Re: bug or feature? aer font problems
@ 2001-06-20 15:29 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-06-20 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, taco

At 04:35 PM 6/20/01 +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>Hi,
>
>is this a bug or a feature???

>ConTeXt  ver: 2001.4.9  fmt: 2001.6.20  int: english  mes: english
>

>\setupbodyfont[cmr]
>\type{--}
>\setupbodyfont[aer]
>\starttext
>\type{--}
>\setupbodyfont[cmr]
>\type{--}
>\stoptext

A bug since one expects to see --

strange problem, maybe there is a -- lig in the aer ttfonts (which is a bug
then in aer). Maybe taco knows?

btw, since cmr and aer and scr and plr share some things, you should be
aware of filename remapping as is doen in aer def's. So, this is why the
second cmr stays aer: cmr10 has become aer10 and there is no way back.

In the new font layer, you can do more tricky things and create typeface
sets so that real weird mixes are possible [all have their own namespace].
So far my tests work out ok, tso i will release soon. [also faster, i now
run my complicated test file over twice as fast as a couple of months ago].

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: bug or feature? aer font problems
@ 2001-06-22 23:24   ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2001-06-22 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2001 17:29 Hans Hagen wrote:

   \starttext
> >\setupbodyfont[cmr]
> >\type{--}
> >\setupbodyfont[aer]
> >\type{--}
> >\setupbodyfont[cmr]
> >\type{--}
> >\stoptext

gives:
  --
  -
  -

> A bug since one expects to see --
>
> strange problem, maybe there is a -- lig in the aer ttfonts (which is a
> bug then in aer). Maybe taco knows?

Yes, it is a bug in ae-fonts!  And ze-fonts have the same problem. Both
have ligatures for "hyphen-hyphen" -> "endash" and all the other ones.

It looks like the tt-fonts are processed with the same settings than the
roman fonts.  I will make a report to the tex-fonts mailinglist and see
what happens.

Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* bug or feature? aer font problems
@ 2001-06-20 15:00 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-06-20 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

> \setupbodyfont[cmr]
> \type{--}
> \setupbodyfont[aer]
> \starttext
> \type{--}
> \setupbodyfont[cmr]
> \type{--}
> \stoptext
>

> gives me
>
> --
> -
> -
>
> strange...

this should have been
\starttext

the point is that there should be two dashs in each row!?!

Viele Gruesse,

  Patrick Gundlach