* \stretched in chapter titles in MKII
@ 2010-07-05 19:15 Tom
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tom @ 2010-07-05 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I am trying to stretch two lines of text to the same width for use as a
chapter head.
I have two major problems:

1. The second line of text is appended to the end of the first line instead
of being placed below it.

2. I get errors when using #1 and #2 as values, i.e {Chapter #1} and {#2}.
Because of these errors I have hardcoded the values in the example that
follows:

\def\MyChapterCommand#1#2% #1 is number, #2 is text
     {\hbox to \hsize {\ss\stretched{Chapter 1}}
       \par
      \hbox to \hsize {\ss\bf\stretched{Test Chapter Title}}}

\setuphead[chapter]
 [command=\MyChapterCommand]

\starttext
\chapter{Test Chapter Title}
\input knuth
\stoptext

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
Twitter: @TomBenjey

* Re: \stretched in chapter titles in MKII
@ 2010-07-06 14:00 ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-07-06 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Further experimentation has found a partial solution. However, I am still
unable to get the chapter title line to stretch properly:

%works fine as is except that chapter title is hardcoded
%errors when hardcoded title is replaced with #2
%doesn't error when title is replaced with {#2} but title is not stretched
%number of closing }s determined by trial and error

\def\MyChapterCommand#1#2% #1 is number, #2 is text
    { \framed[frame=off,align=middle]
       {{\hbox to \hsize {\ss\stretched{Chapter {#1}}}}
        \par
       {{\hbox to \hsize {\switchtobodyfont[20pt]{\ss\bf\stretched{My
Chapter Title}}}}}}}

\setuphead[chapter]
 [command=\MyChapterCommand]
\starttext
\chapter{Test Chapter Title}
\input knuth
\stoptext

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
Twitter: @TomBenjey

@ 2010-07-06 14:06 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-07-06 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.07.10 21:15, schrieb Tom:
> I am trying to stretch two lines of text to the same width for use as a
> chapter head.
> I have two major problems:
>
> 1. The second line of text is appended to the end of the first line instead
> of being placed below it.
>
> 2. I get errors when using #1 and #2 as values, i.e {Chapter #1} and {#2}.
> Because of these errors I have hardcoded the values in the example that
> follows:

You can use \stretched in headers only with \deeptextcommand and
\deepnumbercommand.

Wolfgang

* Re: \stretched in chapter titles in MKII
@ 2010-07-06 16:18 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-07-06 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.07.10 21:15, schrieb Tom:
> I am trying to stretch two lines of text to the same width for use as a
> chapter head.
> I have two major problems:
>
> 1. The second line of text is appended to the end of the first line
> instead
> of being placed below it.
>
> 2. I get errors when using #1 and #2 as values, i.e {Chapter #1} and {#2}.
> Because of these errors I have hardcoded the values in the example that
> follows:

\define[1]\ChapterTextStretch  {\line{\stretched{#1}}}
\define[1]\ChapterNumberStretch{\determineheadnumber[chapter]\ChapterTextStretch{Chapter
\currentheadnumber}}

\setuphead
   [chapter]
   [alternative=middle,
    textstyle=sansbold,
    numberstyle=sans,
    deeptextcommand=\ChapterTextStretch,
    deepnumbercommand=\ChapterNumberStretch]

\starttext
\chapter{Test Chapter Title}
\input knuth
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: \stretched in chapter titles in MKII
@ 2010-07-06 17:52   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-07-06 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

\define[1]\ChapterTextStretch  {\line{\stretched{#1}}}
\define[1]\ChapterNumberStretch{\determineheadnumber[chapter]\ChapterTextStr
etch{Chapter
\currentheadnumber}}

\setuphead
   [chapter]
   [alternative=middle,
    textstyle=sansbold,
    numberstyle=sans,
    deeptextcommand=\ChapterTextStretch,
    deepnumbercommand=\ChapterNumberStretch]

\starttext
\chapter{Test Chapter Title}
\input knuth
\stoptext

Wolfgang

Thanks, Wolfgang. You have not only solved my immediate problem but have
also provided me with examples of using the \deep commands. I haven't found
enough documentation of them yet to get through my thick skull an
understanding of what they do and how to use them. Can you explain to me the
significance of the [1]s after the defines?

I would still like to be able to convert chapter numbers to words without
impacting the table of contents. I am confused about how
\determineheadnumber and \currentheadnumber work. It appears to me that
\determineheadnumber places the chapter number in a register and
\currentheadnumber retrieves that value. I tried inserting \numstr before
\currentheadnumber. That converts the chapter number to text and doesn't
mess up the TOC  but the first line is no longer stretched. Clearly, I don't
understand this very well at all.

Tom

* Re: \stretched in chapter titles in MKII
@ 2010-07-07  2:12   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-07-07  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

\define[1]\ChapterTextStretch  {\line{\stretched{#1}}}
\define[1]\ChapterNumberStretch{\determineheadnumber[chapter]\ChapterTextStr
etch{Chapter
\currentheadnumber}}

\setuphead
   [chapter]
   [alternative=middle,
    textstyle=sansbold,
    numberstyle=sans,
    deeptextcommand=\ChapterTextStretch,
    deepnumbercommand=\ChapterNumberStretch]

\starttext
\chapter{Test Chapter Title}
\input knuth
\stoptext

Wolfgang

I've tried to modify this code to change the chapter numbers to words. That
part was successful but the above code only stretches the word "Chapter" but
not the numbers' words. I also get errors when I try to get all caps by
inserting \WORD in the first command.

\input c:/BookLayouts/MyFirstBook/Macros/numstr.tex

\define[1]\ChapterTextStretch  {\line{\stretched{#1}}}

\define[1]\ChapterNumberStretch
{\ChapterTextStretch{Chapter\ChapterNumberWords}}

\define[1]\ChapterNumberWords
{\determineheadnumber[chapter]\numstr{\currentheadnumber}}

\setuphead
   [chapter]
   [alternative=middle,
    textstyle=sansbold,
    numberstyle=sans,
    deeptextcommand=\ChapterTextStretch,
    deepnumbercommand=\ChapterNumberStretch]

\starttext
\completecontent
\chapter{Test Chapter Title}
\input knuth
\chapter{Test Chapter With Very Long Title That Might Overflow Page}
\input knuth
\chapter{Test Chapter With Long Title Doesn't Overflow}
\input knuth
\stoptext

Tom

* Re: \stretched in chapter titles in MKII
@ 2011-02-22  0:18   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-02-22  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com
The code that follows works fine in MKII but doesn't stretch the chapter
title in MKIV. What must I change? Also, I want to convert the chapter
number to text before stretching it. Has anything been done to the routines
that convert numerals to alpha characters since last summer?

Thanks,

Tom

@ 2011-02-22  8:39     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-02-22  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.02.2011 um 01:18 schrieb Tom:

> The code that follows works fine in MKII but doesn't stretch the chapter
> title in MKIV. What must I change? Also, I want to convert the chapter
> number to text before stretching it. Has anything been done to the routines
> that convert numerals to alpha characters since last summer?

Use \structuretitle and \structurenumber to access the values.

\defineconversion [tom] [One,Two,Three,Four,Five,…]

\define[1]\ChapterTextCommand
  {\line{\expanded{\stretched{\structuretitle}}}}

\define[1]\ChapterNumberCommand
  {\line{\expanded{\stretched{Chapter \convertnumber{tom}{\structurenumber}}}}}

\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [  alternative=middle,
           style=\ssc,
       textstyle=\bf,
     numberstyle=\tf,
     textcommand=\ChapterTextCommand,
   numbercommand=\ChapterNumberCommand]

\starttext
\chapter{Test Chapter Title}
\input knuth
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: \stretched in chapter titles in MKII
@ 2011-02-22 13:42       ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-02-22 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sorry for being so thick but this code errors out when I run it under
TexLive 2010 MKIV. The problem seems to be in the processing of textcommand,
so I commented it out. The error went away and the \ChapterNumberCommand
seemed to execute correctly. However, I want to stretch the title as well as
the chapter number, so that is not a solution. I couldn't find documentation
for \structuretitle and \structurenumber and am completely lost.

@ 2011-02-22 22:14         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-02-22 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.02.2011 um 14:42 schrieb Tom:

> I'm sorry for being so thick but this code errors out when I run it under
> TexLive 2010 MKIV. The problem seems to be in the processing of textcommand,
> so I commented it out. The error went away and the \ChapterNumberCommand
> seemed to execute correctly. However, I want to stretch the title as well as
> the chapter number, so that is not a solution. I couldn't find documentation
> for \structuretitle and \structurenumber and am completely lost.

Use the ConTeXt minimals or use a more pleasant layout for your headers,
the stretched titles don’t look very nice.

Wolfgang

* Re: \stretched in chapter titles in MKII
@ 2011-02-23 12:13           ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-02-23 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can actually use this for books that don't have chapter titles because I
like how it appears with a font like Iwona-light.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com