From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Cc: Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es>
Subject: [NTG-context] Re: ConTeXt source from XML
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2024 21:41:24 +0200	[thread overview]

On 6/6/24 22:53, Christoph Edenhauser wrote:
>> [...]
>> XPath seems to have as it primary purpose to address the nodes of XML trees.
>> [...]
>> If you don’t want this to happen, you have to encode them in the TEI XML
>> sources.
>
> In my case, the connection to the original source will be lost.  While
> we will still try to backport corrections, the connection will be lost
> at the very moment when we will annotate the source text.

Dear Christoph,

well, in your case, your source will be a new one, the annotated one.

> At the moment I'm leaning strongly towards TEI, also because I could try
> to remove the annotations via XSLT once the work is complete, diff the
> result with the original source and improve it). And besides,
> XML+ConTeXt looks quite elegant from the distance of my ignorance.

If you are familiar with XSLT (and XPath), you will have no problem
typesetting XML sources with ConTeXt.

> (Although reading xml-mkiv.pdf creates a pleasant frictional heat in my
> cerebral convolutions, but leaves at least as many knots in them as XML
> data have nodes).

Well, xml-mkiv.pdf isn’t exactly a piece of cake. It isn’t an
introduction and it has to be written that way.

After trying to read it for the n-th time and having learnt only very
little from it (exclusively my fault), I think it assumes a good XPath
background.

Again, xml-mkiv.pdf is documenting the way of handling XML in ConTeXt
and it has to be written that way.

It is part of our task (the one reserved to final users) to compose a
proper introduction on how to typeset XML sources with ConTeXt.

Borrowing the title from other work, “XML in Proper ConTeXt” (actually
taken from https://www.berenddeboer.net/tex/LaTeX2ConTeXt.pdf).

All I can say is that I have read xml-mkiv.pdf and I know I will learn
way more from this document than the huge amount of things I have
already discovered reading it.

>> [...]
>> Having the text properly formatted and printed on paper helps a lot to
>> spot errors.
>
> Same here: It's the paper!
> (I for myself prefer for the first proof reading a page lots of white
> space, in monospaced font like Courier, while my proofreader wants to
> see the font that will be used in the end.)

Sorry for insisting. If the text is not fully formated, it is very easy
to overlook formatting errors with commands (or simple errors with
commands directly).

The most basic sample may read (wrong spacing after command):

  \starttext
    \ConTeXt is awesome!
  \stoptext

This is one in a bunch of errors that may be unnoticed.

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl