* oldstyle footnotemarks
@ 2000-08-25  8:23 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-25  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

is \os{2} gives me the number 2 from the font's expert set, how can I
ensure that numbered footnotemarks are also in \os format?

Groet!

Frans

frans@iaf.nl  www.goddijn.com
Pb 30196 6803 AD Arnhem NL
tel (+31)[0]621-815-881 fax (+31)[0]26-3211.759

* Re: oldstyle footnotemarks
@ 2000-08-25 10:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-08-25 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:23 AM 8/25/00 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>is \os{2} gives me the number 2 from the font's expert set, how can I
>ensure that numbered footnotemarks are also in \os format?

I will add in the next release:

\defineconversion[o][\oldstylenumerals]

\def\oldstylenumerals#1{{\os\number#1}}

Now you can say:

\setupfootnotes[conversion=o]

\startitemize[o]
\item test\footnote{Does this looks old enough?}
\item test
\item test
\stopitemize

Or, you may like in your style:

\defineconversion[][\oldstylenumerals]   % default
\defineconversion[n][\oldstylenumerals]  % n key

\startitemize[n]
\item test\footnote{Does this looks old enough?}
\item test
\item test
\stopitemize

in that case you can omit al kind of settings,

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: oldstyle footnotemarks
@ 2000-08-25 13:34   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-25 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans wrote:

> I will add in the next release:
>
> \defineconversion[o][\oldstylenumerals]
>
> \def\oldstylenumerals#1{{\os\number#1}}

does this mean that I could also copy these commands now into my document
and make them work? I tried to guess what the dutch equivalents would be
and tried them, but it seems that teX just ignores that, at least only the
usual numbers are used, only tnr.pfb is used and nothing from tnrexp.pfb

By the way, is it best to use the English ConTeXt if I want to remain in
touch with the latest tricks?

Groet!

Frans

* Re: oldstyle footnotemarks
@ 2000-08-25 13:38     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-08-25 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:34 PM 8/25/00 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>Hans wrote:
>
>> I will add in the next release:
>>
>> \defineconversion[o][\oldstylenumerals]
>>
>> \def\oldstylenumerals#1{{\os\number#1}}
>
>does this mean that I could also copy these commands now into my document
>and make them work? I tried to guess what the dutch equivalents would be
>and tried them, but it seems that teX just ignores that, at least only the
>usual numbers are used, only tnr.pfb is used and nothing from tnrexp.pfb

\defineconversion is low level english, so it will work.

concerning the fonts, try:

\definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [tnrexp]

>By the way, is it best to use the English ConTeXt if I want to remain in
>touch with the latest tricks?

No, often all languages are the same (well, sometimes dutch is a bit
ahead). Anyway, the lastest greatest is run here. Also, some latest tricks
are often present but not yet documented, others are local to us for the
moment, like the extended otr (output routine with definable [mixed] multi
column trickeries and some special footnote tricks that taco needs) but
will be available as soon as stable.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: oldstyle footnotemarks
@ 2000-08-25 15:20       ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-25 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans wrote:

> \defineconversion is low level english, so it will work.
>
> concerning the fonts, try:
>
> \definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [tnrexp]

I tried it and got:

systems        : begin file 0test at line 15
! Undefined control sequence.
\do\groupedcommand ...roup \def \dogroupedcommand
                                                  {\ifx \next \bgroup \def
\...

\oldstylenumerals #1->{\os
                           \number #1}
\maakhetnummer ...\voorafgaandenummer \nummer [#1]
                                                  }
<argument> ...tnoot ]\maakhetnummer [\v!voetnoot ]
                                                  \rawtextreference {\s!fnt

\doifelse ...\ifx \!!stringa \!!stringb #3\else #4
                                                  \fi
\next ...ummer }\let \footnotenumber =\hetnummer }
                                                  \expandafter
\dostartfootn...
l.34 \som test\voetnoot{
                        Does this look old enough?}
?
! Emergency stop.

Any ideas?

Groet!

Frans

my test file was:

\steluitvoerin[pdftex]

\useencoding[ibm]

%\stelkorpsin
%  [pos,9pt]  % ,fg,loc,9pt]

\stelkorpsin
  [pos,fg,loc,10pt]

\definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [tnrexp]
\defineconversion[o][\oldstylenumerals]
\def\oldstylenumerals#1{{\os\number#1}}

\starttekst

\os{123}

%\startopsomming[o]
\startopsomming[o]
\som 1 test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\som 2 test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\som 3 test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\som test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\som test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\som test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\som test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\stopopsomming

\stelvoetnotenin[conversie=o]

\startopsomming[o]
\som test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\som test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\som test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\som test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\som test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\som test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\som test\voetnoot{Does this look old enough?}
\stopopsomming

\stoptekst

* Re: oldstyle footnotemarks
@ 2000-08-25 16:59         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-08-25 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:20 PM 8/25/00 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:

>\oldstylenumerals #1->{\os

Are you sure the hack that taco made for you long ago is not getting in the
way? How is your
\os defined? Use the context \os ! Comment your \def\os in whatever style
you use.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: oldstyle footnotemarks
@ 2000-08-25 19:48           ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-25 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans wrote:

> Are you sure the hack that taco made for you long ago is not getting in
the
> way? How is your \os defined?

I will change the \os command into something like \myos

In my font-fg.tex in ...\tex\context\user\ there is now still:

\definefontsynonym [Times-RomanSC]                    [tnrexp]
\definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]                        [tnrexp]
\definefontsynonym [SerifCapsI]                       [tnrexpi]
\definefontsynonym [Times-RomanSCItalic]              [tnrexpi]

\definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [Times-RomanSC]
\definefontsynonym [OldStyleIt] [Times-RomanSCItalic]

\definefont[osi] [OldStyleIt sa \currentfontscale]

\definefont[oldstyle] [OldStyle sa \currentfontscale]
\def\os{\groupedcommand{\oldstyle}{}}

\definefont[oldstyleitalic] [OldStyleIt sa \currentfontscale]
\def\osi{\groupedcommand{\oldstyleitalic}{}}

\definefont[myownkaps] [SerifCaps sa \currentfontscale]
\definefont[myownkapsi] [SerifCapsI sa \currentfontscale]
\def\mykap{\groupedcommand{\myownkaps}{}}
\def\mykapi{\groupedcommand{\myownkapsi}{}}

* Re: oldstyle footnotemarks
@ 2000-09-03 14:18       ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-09-03 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

Today I have time to get back to that book project again and I checked my
files to see if I have correctly implemented your tricks to get oldstyle
numbers. However, I must be missing some point or a connection somewhere
because the definitions and commands that I've inserted have no effect
whatsoever.

In the personal "font-fg.tex" file in ../texmf/tex/context/user  I changed
all of Taco's original \os and
\osi definitions to \fgos and \fgosi so as not to disturb your oldstyle
commands in conTeXt

Then in the test file I have:

\steluitvoerin[pdftex]
\useencoding[ibm]
\stelkorpsin
  [pos,fg]

\defineconversion[o][\oldstylenumerals]
\def\oldstylenumerals#1{{\os\number#1}}
\setupfootnotes[conversion=o]

\starttekst
Dit is een \hoog{1}test\voetnoot{En\hoog{1} dit is een voetnoot}
\stoptekst

I added the \hoog{1} to be able to compare the oldstyle 1 to the uppercase
normal 1

The file compiles fine but only the normal tnr.pfb is used, never the
tnrexp.pfb

It also doesn't make any difference if I put in or leave out
\definefontsynonym[OldStyle][tnrexp]

My font-fg.tex is below, also my fg.map file

Since it's easy for me to get an oldstyle number by putting in \fgos{123}
in the text, i know that the mechanism for getting these is built in by my
setup files, only I can't seem to succeed in telling ConteXt that its'okay
to find and use these oldstyle numbers outside the text that u type in
manually, for instance in footnote marks...

Do you have any idea where I am missing a link?

Groet!

Frans

my font-fg.tex:
//////////////////////

%D \module
%D   [       file=font-kb,
%D        version=1998.11.4,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Font Macros,
%D       subtitle=Karl Berry Font Names,
%D         author=Hans Hagen,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright={PRAGMA / Hans Hagen \& Ton Otten}]
%C
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. Non||commercial use is
%C granted.

\definefontsynonym [Courier]                          [pcrr]
\definefontsynonym [Courier-Oblique]                  [pcrro]
\definefontsynonym [Courier-Bold]                     [pcrb]
\definefontsynonym [Courier-BoldOblique]              [pcrbo]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica]                        [helv2]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Oblique]                [helvi2]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Italic]                 [helvi2]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-Bold]                   [helvb2]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-BoldOblique]            [helvbi2]
\definefontsynonym [Helvetica-BoldItalic]             [helvbi2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Roman]                      [tnr2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Italic]                     [tnri2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Oblique]                    [tnro2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-Bold]                       [tnrb2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-BoldItalic]                 [tnrbi2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-BoldOblique]                [tnrbo2]
\definefontsynonym [Times-RomanSC]                    [tnrexp]
\definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]                        [tnrexp]
\definefontsynonym [SerifCapsI]                       [tnrexpi]
\definefontsynonym [Times-RomanSCItalic]              [tnrexpi]

%\definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [Times-RomanSC]
\definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [tnrexp]

\definefontsynonym [OldStyleIt] [Times-RomanSCItalic]

\definefont[osi] [OldStyleIt sa \currentfontscale]

\definefont[oldstyle] [OldStyle sa \currentfontscale]
\def\os{\groupedcommand{\oldstyle}{}}

\definefont[oldstyleitalic] [OldStyleIt sa \currentfontscale]
\def\osi{\groupedcommand{\oldstyleitalic}{}}

\definefont[myownkaps] [SerifCaps sa \currentfontscale]
\definefont[myownkapsi] [SerifCapsI sa \currentfontscale]
\def\mykap{\groupedcommand{\myownkaps}{}}
\def\mykapi{\groupedcommand{\myownkapsi}{}}

%\definefontsynonym [AvantGarde]                       [pag]
%\definefontsynonym [BookmanLight]                     [pbk]
%\definefontsynonym [CentaurMT]                        [pur]
%\definefontsynonym [Garamond]                         [pgm]
%\definefontsynonym [GillSans]                         [pgs]
%\definefontsynonym [NewBaskerville]                   [pnb]
%\definefontsynonym [Optima]                           [pop]
%\definefontsynonym [Palatino]                         [ppl]
\definefontsynonym [Symbol]                           [psyr]
%\definefontsynonym [Univers]                          [pun]
%\definefontsynonym [Utopia]                           [put]
\definefontsynonym [ZapfChancery]                     [pzcmi]
\definefontsynonym [ZapfDingbats]                     [pzdr]

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

my fg.map:

* TIMES spullen, mapping door Taco Hoekwater
* De expert set: niet re-encoded
tnrexp    TimesNRExpertMT        <tnrexp.pfb
tnrexpi   TimesNRExpertMT-Italic <tnrexpi.pfb
tnrexpu   TimesNRExpertMT-Italic "-0.167 SlantFont" <tnrexpi.pfb
tnrexpo   TimesNRExpertMT        "0.167 SlantFont" <tnrexp.pfb

* TIMES in TeXnANSI encoding (ly1) voor context.

tnr2       TimesNewRoman            "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <tnr.pfb
tnri2      TimesNewRoman-Italic     "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <tnri.pfb
tnru2      TimesNewRoman-Italic     "-0.167 SlantFont TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <tnri.pfb
tnro2      TimesNewRoman            " 0.167 SlantFont TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <tnr.pfb

tnrb2      TimesNewRoman-Bold       "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <tnrb.pfb
tnrbi2     TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <tnrbi.pfb
tnrbu2     TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic "-0.167 SlantFont TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <tnrbi.pfb
tnrbo2     TimesNewRoman-Bold       " 0.167 SlantFont TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <tnrb.pfb

tnrbx2     TimesNewRoman-Bold       "1.2 ExtendFont TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <tnrb.pfb
tnrbix2    TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic "1.2 ExtendFont TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <tnrbi.pfb
tnrbux2    TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic "-0.167 SlantFont 1.2 ExtendFont
TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <tnrbi.pfb
tnrbox2    TimesNewRoman-Bold       " 0.167 SlantFont 1.2 ExtendFont
TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <tnrb.pfb

* TIMES in EC encoding voor LaTeX's T1

tnr8    TimesNewRoman            "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <ec.enc <tnr.pfb
tnri8   TimesNewRoman-Italic     "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <ec.enc
<tnri.pfb
tnru8   TimesNewRoman-Italic     "-0.167 SlantFont ECEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<ec.enc <tnri.pfb
tnro8   TimesNewRoman            " 0.167 SlantFont ECEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<ec.enc <tnr.pfb

tnrb8   TimesNewRoman-Bold       "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <ec.enc
<tnrb.pfb
tnrbi8  TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <ec.enc
<tnrbi.pfb
tnrbu8  TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic "-0.167 SlantFont ECEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<ec.enc <tnrbi.pfb
tnrbo8  TimesNewRoman-Bold       " 0.167 SlantFont ECEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<ec.enc <tnrb.pfb

tnrbx8  TimesNewRoman-Bold       "1.2 ExtendFont ECEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<ec.enc <tnrb.pfb
tnrbix8 TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic "1.2 ExtendFont ECEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<ec.enc <tnrbi.pfb
tnrbux8 TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic "-0.167 SlantFont 1.2 ExtendFont
ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <ec.enc <tnrbi.pfb
tnrbox8 TimesNewRoman-Bold       " 0.167 SlantFont 1.2 ExtendFont
ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <ec.enc <tnrb.pfb

* TIMES in TeX 7-bit encoding voor LaTeX's OT1 en plain

tnr7    TimesNewRoman            "TeXTextEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<textext.enc <tnr.pfb
tnri7   TimesNewRoman-Italic     "TeXTextEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<textext.enc <tnri.pfb
tnru7   TimesNewRoman-Italic     "-0.167 SlantFont TeXTextEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <textext.enc <tnri.pfb
tnro7   TimesNewRoman            " 0.167 SlantFont TeXTextEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <textext.enc <tnr.pfb

tnrb7   TimesNewRoman-Bold       "TeXTextEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<textext.enc <tnrb.pfb
tnrbi7  TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic "TeXTextEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<textext.enc <tnrbi.pfb
tnrbu7  TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic "-0.167 SlantFont TeXTextEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <textext.enc <tnrbi.pfb
tnrbo7  TimesNewRoman-Bold       " 0.167 SlantFont TeXTextEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <textext.enc <tnrb.pfb

tnrbx7  TimesNewRoman-Bold       "1.2 ExtendFont TeXTextEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <textext.enc <tnrb.pfb
tnrbix7 TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic "1.2 ExtendFont TeXTextEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <textext.enc <tnrbi.pfb
tnrbux7 TimesNewRoman-BoldItalic "-0.167 SlantFont 1.2 ExtendFont
TeXTextEncoding ReEncodeFont" <textext.enc <tnrbi.pfb
tnrbox7 TimesNewRoman-Bold       " 0.167 SlantFont 1.2 ExtendFont
TeXTextEncoding ReEncodeFont" <textext.enc <tnrb.pfb

* Helvetica by Taco Hoekwater
**
helv2 Helvetica            "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
<helv.pfb
helv8 Helvetica            "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <ec.enc <helv.pfb
helv7 Helvetica            "TeXTextEncoding ReEncodeFont" <textext.enc
<helv.pfb
helvb2 Helvetica-Bold       "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
<helvb.pfb
helvb8 Helvetica-Bold       "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <ec.enc <helvb.pfb
helvb7 Helvetica-Bold       "TeXTextEncoding ReEncodeFont" <textext.enc
<helvb.pfb
helvbi2 Helvetica-BoldItalic "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
<helvbi.pfb
helvbi8 Helvetica-BoldItalic "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <ec.enc <helvbi.pfb
helvbi7 Helvetica-BoldItalic "TeXTextEncoding ReEncodeFont" <textext.enc
<helvbi.pfb
helvi2 Helvetica-Italic     "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
<helvi.pfb
helvi8 Helvetica-Italic     "ECEncoding ReEncodeFont" <ec.enc <helvi.pfb
helvi7 Helvetica-Italic     "TeXTextEncoding ReEncodeFont" <textext.enc
<helvi.pfb
**

* EURO by Taco Hoekwater
**
linoefaf LinotypeEuroFontAtoF <linoefaf.pfb
linoefgp LinotypeEuroFontGtoP <linoefgp.pfb
linoefrs LinotypeEuroFontRtoS <linoefrs.pfb
linoeftz LinotypeEuroFontTtoZ <linoeftz.pfb
**

* nep Helvetica?
* phvr "NimbusSanL-Regu"  <n019003l.pfb
* phvro "NimbusSanL-ReguItal"  <n019023l.pfb
* phvb "NimbusSanL-Bold"  <n019004l.pfb
* phvbo "NimbusSanL-BoldItal" <n019024l.pfb
* phvrrn "NimbusSanL-ReguCond" <n019043l.pfb
* phvron "NimbusSanL-ReguCondItal" <n019063l.pfb
* phvbrn "NimbusSanL-BoldCond"  <n019044l.pfb
* phvbon "NimbusSanL-BoldCondItal" <n019064l.pfb

* Re: oldstyle footnotemarks
@ 2000-09-04 15:25         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-04 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:18 PM 9/3/00 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>Hello Hans,
>
>Today I have time to get back to that book project again and I checked my
>files to see if I have correctly implemented your tricks to get oldstyle
>numbers. However, I must be missing some point or a connection somewhere
>because the definitions and commands that I've inserted have no effect
>whatsoever.

Looks like some conflict. It's hard to test that here, so i'll send you the
latest font-ini.tex (fonts) and core-con.tex (conversion) file, since it
runs ok here. If things fail, get the beta, since font-ini is in some
aspects different, that is, it has low level support for font size mapping,
which is needed (well, handy at least) for for instance math times,

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Oldstyle footnotemarks
@ 2000-08-28  7:39   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-08-28  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:35 PM 8/27/00 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>Hans advised to add the following lines to my tex file in order to get
automatic oldstyle numbers in footnotemarks in the text and
>at the footnotes on the bottom of the page:
>
>\definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [tnrexp]
>\defineconversion[o][\oldstylenumerals]
>\def\oldstylenumerals#1{{\os\number#1}}
>
>I did and tested:
>
>\starttekst
>test\voetnoot{I wonder if the footnotemarks are oldstyle now}
>test\voetnoot{I wonder if the footnotemarks are oldstyle now}
>test\voetnoot{I wonder if the footnotemarks are oldstyle now}
>test\voetnoot{I wonder if the footnotemarks are oldstyle now}
>\stoptekst
>

>But the footnotes aren't in oldstyle and [tnrexp] is not used:
>
> 63i,19n,87p,165b,1132s stack positions out of 300i,100n,500p,50000b,4000s
><texnansi.enc><tnr.pfb>
>Output written on 0TEST.pdf (1 page, 25489 bytes).
>

>Any ideas? In my FONT-FG.TEX in the texmf\tex\context\user directory I
changed the definitions of \os into \fgos and \osi into
>\fgosi so I suppose they don't disturb anymore...

You need to set the conversion: \setupfootnotes[conversion=o] or redefine
the numeric conversion \defineconversion[n][\oldstylenumerals] so that all
numbers will be oldstyle.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Oldstyle footnotemarks

[...]