* footnotes disappear in floating tables
@ 1998-10-09  8:15 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1998-10-09  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hai All,

In floating tables footnotes disappear. This is quite inconvenient. Is there a fix?

Example:

\starttekst

Here's a footnote\voetnoot{This is a footnote}.

\plaatstabel[hier][table:test]{This is a demo}
\starttabel[|l|]
\VL Here another\voetnoot{But where am I?} \VL\SR
\stoptabel

\stoptekst

Groetjes,

Berend.

* Re: footnotes disappear in floating tables
@ 1998-10-09 16:43 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-10-09 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'ntg-context@ntg.nl'

Berend de Boer wrote:

> Yeah, in the mean time I did detect them. Looks nice (try to do that with
> Word??).

I still have to write a convenient interface, we can discuss that one
day ... WIll you be at the next ntg meeting (a nice one, about fonts,
also context).

> A shortcoming of TeX? I lately looked in the mark mechanism, that should be
> able to do that, but it seemed a bit limited. Will some newer TeX be able
> to do this?

Well, marks are strange in themselves, but I guess you're right in some
way. The main problem is however that the dimensions of footnotes are
taken into account by determining the pagebreaks.

etex supports multiple marks, but context has this already sort of build
in (adapted maro based mechanism from Jim Fox).

Context uses marks for color, running whatevers, two pass optimization,
multi column grid snapping etc.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: footnotes disappear in floating tables
@ 1998-10-09 13:26 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-10-09 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Berend de Boer, 'ntg-context@ntg.nl'

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>  BdB> I've recently downloaded the latest version from
>  BdB> www.ntg.nl. Where do I get a more recent release?
>
> Hans should be able to help you from here, since I can't even guess
> where the problem might be. The one you have is the most recent
> official release, I think (mine is beta).

Hm. We're in the middle of extending the font mechanism. Can you live
with the current release for a few more days?

(Well, actually I'm in the middle of writing this tex/mp flowchart
module.)

@ 1998-10-09 13:19 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1998-10-09 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'ntg-context@ntg.nl'

Berend de Boer wrote:

> In floating tables footnotes disappear. This is quite inconvenient. Is there a fix?

Why not use local footnotes, i.e. attach them to the table? See
core-not.tex and yell to me if you got problems.

Footnotes is inconvenient anyway. I think I can work out a floating
footnote, but I'm not sure if that always will work ok with breaking
pages.

@ 1998-10-09 12:36 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1998-10-09 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'ntg-context@ntg.nl'

@ 1998-10-09 11:54 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1998-10-09 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'ntg-context@ntg.nl'

 BdB> On Friday, October 09, 1998 11:12 AM, Taco Hoekwater
 BdB> [SMTP:taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl] wrote: Hai All, In floating tables
 BdB> footnotes disappear. This is quite inconvenient. Is there a fix?
 >>  They don't disappear in my context format, so my guess is you are
 >> using an older version and Hans has fixed this somewhere in the
 >> past months. Methinks you should get a new context.zip

 BdB> I've recently downloaded the latest version from
 BdB> www.ntg.nl. Where do I get a more recent release?

Hans should be able to help you from here, since I can't even guess
where the problem might be. The one you have is the most recent
official release, I think (mine is beta).

Sorry for the non-help, Taco

--
Taco Hoekwater                                 taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl
Kluwer Academic Publishers                            -- Pre Press --

* RE: footnotes disappear in floating tables
@ 1998-10-09 10:13 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1998-10-09 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'ntg-context@ntg.nl'

I've recently downloaded the latest version from www.ntg.nl. Where do I get a more recent release?

@ 1998-10-09  9:11 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1998-10-09  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 'ntg-context@ntg.nl'

 BdB> Hai All, In floating tables footnotes disappear. This is quite
 BdB> inconvenient. Is there a fix?

They don't disappear in my context format, so my guess is you are
using an older version and Hans has fixed this somewhere in the past
months. Methinks you should get a new context.zip

Greetings, Taco