From: Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com>
Subject: RE: pdfetex
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:21:31 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thursday, November 19, 1998 6:36 PM, Hans Hagen [SMTP:pragma@wxs.nl]
wrote:

> I'm currently making context a bit more etex aware (etex is the
> successor to tex). Now etex and pdftex are merged, I foresee that
> pdfetex will be *the* tex to use: tex/etex functionality as well as
> dvi/pdf output.

For me, .pdf output is the only option in a world of Microsoft Word users.
dvi output means that users need to have access to .pk/.tfm/... files
before they can read my documents.

For me, pdf output is the greatest thing since tex. I can now use tex for
every document.

So I'm greatly interested in the best possible pdf output. If that's etex,
well I'm going to use that version.

> I'm still not sure to what extend I must support etex's right-left
> typesetting, not only typesetting, but also hyper features, color etc.
> Any input on this is welcome.

I think you must free context as is, only do some bug fixes and in the
newer releases only support etex. Supporting both is error prone (for tex
users) and I think you will not be able to use all etex features as best as
possible.

Groetjes,

Berend.