From: John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com>
Cc: "ntg-context@ntg.nl" <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Subject: Re: Chapter headers and styles
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:46:02 -0500	[thread overview]

On Monday 25 February 2002 07:14, you wrote:
> At 12:32 PM 2/25/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have several problems with customizing the layout of chapter
> > headers.
> >
> >1. I make an index with command \completeindex, which generates
> > numbered \chapter. I want it to be a unnumbered \title. How to do
> > this? I saw a hardcoded \systemsuppliedchapter in core-reg.tex
>
> \startappendices
>    \completeindex
> \stopappendices
>
> or
>
> \startbackmatter
>    \completeindex
> \stopbackmatter
>
> or
>
> \titel{Index}
>
> \placeregister[index]
>
> >2. I want \titles to appear in table of contents. Up to now,
> >\completecontent worked fine for me.
>
> only \chapter etc end up in tocs, and their numbers turn on and off
> depending on the sectionblock (frontmatter, maintext, appendices,
> backmatter); you can define a sectionhead yourself, turn off the
> number and add the associated list to the toc (is in manual)
>
> >3. I want my chapter headers to appear as:
> >
> >Chapter 1 (small font)
> >
> >One of My Chapters (big font)
> >
> >--------------rule------------------
> >
> >The simplest quick solution
> >
> >\def\ChapterTitle#1#2{{\ssbfa #1}\crlf {\ssbfc #2} \crlf
> > \hairline} \setuphead[chapter][command=\ChapterTitle]
> >
> >doesn't work. First, the \crlf is ignored. Second, the fonts are
> > ignored
>
> put a \vbox around it -> #1#2{\vbox{...}}
>
> >and replaced by default values, or the values I specify in style=
> > option of \setuphead.
>
> style=\ss
> textstyle=\bfa
> numberstyle=\bfc
>
> >4. I want Czech sorting in the index and Czech alphabet in
> > indicators. Any support in ConTeXt/texutil for this? I achieved
> > proper sorting by some hacks in texutil.pl, but that was an ugly
> > solution.
>
> if i'm right david antos made czech sorting rules, but i'm not sure
> if everything is already in the current context (i know i should
> know -) i shifted around so many mails and code that i have to have
> a close look
>
> Hans

If the problem of sorting refers to what we call in America a
back-of-book index then Xindy has a fairly complete solution.

So what would be needed is a macro to write-immediate the index
item to a file, and another set of macros (like those in eplain)
to read them back in again. Since Xindy already exists it should not
be necessary to reinvent the wheel. All the heavy lifting is already
done in Xindy :-)

I may work on this just for the exercise.

Of course Xindy is a bit beta-ish but that should be no problem for
dedicated TeX hackers :-)

John Culleton