* total font/encoding confusion
@ 2002-03-09 21:02 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2002-03-09 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I know, I am very adventurous... I have tried to use a different font than
computer modern :) (actually I have used some standard-postscript fonts
with context before...)

So I have tried to use the installed times-roman (the urw variant) and the
vf's that come with the tetex distribution in T1 AKA ec encoding. So there
should be a simple mapping between times-roman and ptmr8t. The rest should
be done in the dvi driver.

That is what I have tried: (I am using times here, because I know everybody
has it).
-----------type-t1times.tex--------
\usetypescriptfile [type-buy]

\starttypescript [serif][t1times][ec]
 \definefontsynonym [Times-Roman]      [ptmr8t]  [encoding=ec]
 \definefontsynonym [Times-Italic]     [ptmri8t] [encoding=ec]
 \definefontsynonym [Times-Bold]       [ptmb8t]  [encoding=ec]
 \definefontsynonym [Times-BoldItalic] [ptmbi8t] [encoding=ec]
 \definefontsynonym [Times-Slanted]    [ptmro8t] [encoding=ec]
 \definefontsynonym [Times-BoldSlanted][ptmbo8t] [encoding=ec]
 \definefontsynonym [Times] [Times-Roman]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript      [serif][t1times][name]
   \usetypescript     [serif][fallback]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif]    [Times-Roman]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold][Times-Bold]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [MyTimes]
  \definetypeface [mytimes] [rm] [serif] [t1times] [default] [encoding=ec]
\stoptypescript
---------end type-t1times.tex------------

------------timestest.tex ---------
% output=pdf
\mainlanguage[de]
%\enableregime[il1]
\setupencoding[default=ec]
\usetypescriptfile[type-t1times]

\usetypescript[MyTimes]
\setupbodyfont[mytimes]
\starttext
ä\"a "a ß \"s
%\showfont
\showcharacters
\stoptext
-----------------timestest.tex

Here is a description of my output:
first line: äa a SS s (both a and last s with a bar in the middle, but the
"a-bar is a bit lower than the "s .)

then there is a line 'default ptmr8t at 12.0pt: composed bottom char raw'

after that a lot of very weird accents and Chars and black rules...

There is obviously something going wrong. But what? There is for example
'textgrave' mentioned in the first position, which is in texnansi pos 18
(decimal). And in the pos 18 in ec encoding, there is quotedblleft, which
is shown in the \showcharacters output. So this seems to be a bit 'correct'

Don't dare to uncomment \enableregime[il1] -- the first line gets even
worse :)

And - don't uncomment \showfont! You can't say you haven't been warned :)

BTW: I am using:

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)
entering extended mode
(./timestest.tex{/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2002.1.24  fmt: 2002.1.27  int: english  mes: english

--
Viele Grüße,

    Patrick Gundlach

* Re: total font/encoding confusion
@ 2002-03-09 21:36 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2002-03-09 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Patrick, (uh, that's me!)

Ok, I should have followed the golden rule of context-bugs: before writing
a bug report, check the newest beta ;-) Now everything works fine with the
newest beta:
ConTeXt  ver: 2002.3.4  fmt: 2002.3.9  int: english  mes: english

but: two questions left:
how should I use the \ShowFont command? (Module fnt-01)
how should I use the \showfont command? (font-ini.tex):

\showfont[Serif at 12pt]
yields:

(/opt/context/2002.03.04/texmf/tex/context/base/font-run.tex)
color          : system rgb is local activated
! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                   \def
\handlecompoundcharacter #1->\def
                                  \dohandlecompoundcharacter {\ifx \next
\bg...

\@@ar@@2 ... \col \recurselevel \scratchcounter ="
                                                  \hexnumber \row
\hexnumber...

\redostepwiserecurse ... \recursedepth \endcsname
                                                  \dodostepwiserecurse
<to be read again>
                   {
<inserted text>
                1

--

@ 2002-03-11  0:38   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-03-11  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:36 PM 3/9/2002 +0100, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>Hallo Patrick, (uh, that's me!)
>
>Ok, I should have followed the golden rule of context-bugs: before writing
>a bug report, check the newest beta ;-) Now everything works fine with the
>newest beta:
>ConTeXt  ver: 2002.3.4  fmt: 2002.3.9  int: english  mes: english

lucky me

 > how should I use the \ShowFont command? (Module fnt-01)

that one is used in the files that are generated by texfont and not useful
outside that context.

>how should I use the \showfont command? (font-ini.tex):
>
>\showfont[Serif at 12pt]
>yields:
>
>(/opt/context/2002.03.04/texmf/tex/context/base/font-run.tex)
>color          : system rgb is local activated
>! Missing number, treated as zero.
><to be read again>
>                    \def
>\handlecompoundcharacter #1->\def
>                                   \dohandlecompoundcharacter {\ifx \next
>\bg...
>
>\@@ar@@2 ... \col \recurselevel \scratchcounter ="
>                                                   \hexnumber \row

strange, maybe due to the " being active? Are you in "german doublequote
mode"?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server: