* New module - mkiv font loading
@ 2009-05-11 12:23 Wolfgang Schuster
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-11 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I wrote a new module to load fonts without the need to write typescripts
for them -> http://bitbucket.org/wolfs/simplefonts/

Wolfgang

* Re: New module - mkiv font loading
@ 2009-05-11 12:41 ` Yue Wang
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-05-11 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang:

nice script.

Can the module meet my needs discussed in
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2009/040831.html ?
or is it possible to extend the support to xetex?

Yue Wang

@ 2009-05-11 13:00   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-11 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.05.2009 um 14:41 schrieb Yue Wang:

> Hi Wolfgang:
>
> nice script.
>
> Can the module meet my needs discussed in
> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2009/040831.html ?

dunno, i have to see more from your code

> or is it possible to extend the support to xetex?

possible yes but it's a lot of work because the complete fallback
mechanism
needs to be written for XeTeX which is available for MkIV since a while.

@ 2009-05-11 13:18 ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-05-11 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

great!  thanks Wolfgang.

is this working with the latest minimals?  Hopefully I'll get to try it
later.

@ 2009-05-11 13:31   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-11 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.05.2009 um 15:18 schrieb Mohamed Bana:

> great!  thanks Wolfgang.
>
> is this working with the latest minimals?  Hopefully I'll get to try
> it later.

Yes, it works with the last version but you have to install by hand.

@ 2009-05-11 13:32   ` Yanrui Li
From: Yanrui Li @ 2009-05-11 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Mohamed Bana
<mbana.lists@googlemail.com> wrote:
> great!  thanks Wolfgang.
>
> is this working with the latest minimals?  Hopefully I'll get to try it
> later.

Yes, I used it with latest beta for a whole afternoon.

--
Best wishes,
Li Yanrui

* Re: New module - mkiv font loading
@ 2009-05-11 13:44     ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-05-11 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 11.05.2009 um 14:41 schrieb Yue Wang:
>
>> Hi Wolfgang:
>>
>> nice script.
>>
>> Can the module meet my needs discussed in
>> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2009/040831.html ?
>
> dunno, i have to see more from your code

The code is already in http://code.google.com/p/ctex-kit/
It's located in /trunk/zhspacing/ directory. Thanks for reviewing.

The key idea is to group chinese words in {\zhfonts } automatically
using XeTeX's interchartok mechanism.
In LaTeX, It saves the current latin nfss style state in a macro, then
apply to the zhfonts group.
related code is in zhspacing/tex/latex/zhfont.sty. But I don't know
how to do that in ConTeXt.

@ 2009-05-11 13:48     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-11 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> possible yes but it's a lot of work because the complete fallback mechanism
> needs to be written for XeTeX which is available for MkIV since a while.

this is unlikely to happen (unless we add lots of optional code to mkii
to deal with xetex which then probably results in a lot of other code
hooked into other mechanisms as well) as mkii is kind of frozen

if we have to port all sophisticated (upcoming) mkiv features back to
mkiv we might wonder why we started with mkiv in the first place; the
whole idea is to have less (complex) code

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-11 13:58       ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-05-11 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> possible yes but it's a lot of work because the complete fallback
>> mechanism
>> needs to be written for XeTeX which is available for MkIV since a while.
>
> this is unlikely to happen (unless we add lots of optional code to mkii to
> deal with xetex which then probably results in a lot of other code hooked
> into other mechanisms as well) as mkii is kind of frozen
>
> if we have to port all sophisticated (upcoming) mkiv features back to mkiv
> we might wonder why we started with mkiv in the first place; the whole idea
> is to have less (complex) code

not like that complicated (we do not need font fallback).

it is only something about:

save the current font style (like \ss, \it ,10pt) to a macro . then
apply the macro to a group.
for example

aa { \anotherfont bb}
we should save the style for aa when \anotherfont is called, and apply
that style to bb.

that should be enough. but we don't know how to get the font style.

@ 2009-05-11 14:33         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-11 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>>> possible yes but it's a lot of work because the complete fallback
>>> mechanism
>>> needs to be written for XeTeX which is available for MkIV since a while.
>> this is unlikely to happen (unless we add lots of optional code to mkii to
>> deal with xetex which then probably results in a lot of other code hooked
>> into other mechanisms as well) as mkii is kind of frozen
>>
>> if we have to port all sophisticated (upcoming) mkiv features back to mkiv
>> we might wonder why we started with mkiv in the first place; the whole idea
>> is to have less (complex) code
>

> not like that complicated (we do not need font fallback).
>
> it is only something about:
>
> save the current font style (like \ss, \it ,10pt) to a macro . then
> apply the macro to a group.
> for example
>
> aa { \anotherfont bb}
> we should save the style for aa when \anotherfont is called, and apply
> that style to bb.
>
> that should be enough. but we don't know how to get the font style.

see \pushcurrentfont

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-11 14:38           ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-05-11 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Yue Wang wrote:

>>> this is unlikely to happen (unless we add lots of optional code to mkii
>>> deal with xetex which then probably results in a lot of other code hooked
>>> into other mechanisms as well) as mkii is kind of frozen
>>>
>>> if we have to port all sophisticated (upcoming) mkiv features back to
>>> mkiv
>>> we might wonder why we started with mkiv in the first place; the whole
>>> idea
>>> is to have less (complex) code
>>

>> not like that complicated (we do not need font fallback).
>>
>> it is only something about:
>>
>> save the current font style (like \ss, \it ,10pt) to a macro . then
>> apply the macro to a group.
>> for example
>>
>> aa { \anotherfont bb}
>> we should save the style for aa when \anotherfont is called, and apply
>> that style to bb.
>>
>> that should be enough. but we don't know how to get the font style.
>
> see \pushcurrentfont

Thank you, I will look into that.

Many thanks:)

@ 2009-05-11 17:32       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-11 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.05.2009 um 15:48 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> possible yes but it's a lot of work because the complete fallback
>> mechanism
>> needs to be written for XeTeX which is available for MkIV since a
>> while.
>
> this is unlikely to happen (unless we add lots of optional code to
> mkii to deal with xetex which then probably results in a lot of
> other code hooked into other mechanisms as well) as mkii is kind of
> frozen

Sorry Hans but my answer above has nothing to do with your code, I
provided
in my module a mechanism to set fonts in a similar way as the fontspec
and
xeCJK/zhspacing packages for LaTeX provide but *I* won't add extra code
to use my module with XeTeX.

@ 2009-05-12  7:47   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-12  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.05.2009 um 14:41 schrieb Yue Wang:

> Hi Wolfgang:
>
> nice script.
>
> Can the module meet my needs discussed in
> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2009/040831.html ?
> or is it possible to extend the support to xetex?

When you take care about font switching in your module it's easy,
large part of the code can be left out because XeTeX can find the
regular/italic/... styles itself.

\unprotect

\def\setmainfont[#1]{\definetypeface[simplefonts][rm][Xserif][#1]
[default]}
\def\setsansfont[#1]{\definetypeface[simplefonts][ss][Xsans] [#1]
[default]}
\def\setmonofont[#1]{\definetypeface[simplefonts][tt][Xmono] [#1]
[default]}

\appendtoks\setupbodyfont[simplefonts]\to\everystarttext

\protect

\setmainfont[Times New Roman]
\setsansfont[Arial]
\setmonofont[Courier New]

\starttext

\rm\tf roman \it italic \bf bold \bi bolditalic

\ss\tf roman \it italic \bf bold \bi bolditalic

\tt\tf roman \it italic \bf bold \bi bolditalic

\stoptext

@ 2009-05-15 19:36 ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-05-15 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I got a chance to try it out; it's great.

What I don't understand is that I need to use \starttext ... \stoptext,
normally omitting these work.  In your module's case I have to use it or
it just typesets with L. Modern.

\startcomponent first
\product        project
\environment    my.env

\starttext % I don't normally use this
\stoptext
\stopcomponent

@ 2009-05-16  6:49   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-16  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.05.2009 um 21:36 schrieb Mohamed Bana:

> I got a chance to try it out; it's great.
>
> What I don't understand is that I need to use \starttext ...
> \stoptext,
> normally omitting these work.  In your module's case I have to use
> it or
> it just typesets with L. Modern.
>
> \startcomponent first
> \product        project
> \environment    my.env
>
> \starttext % I don't normally use this
> \stoptext
> \stopcomponent

You don't need \starttext/\stoptext in your document, it would haven
been
enough to load the module and set the fonts before \startcomponent (have
you noticed it works when you compile the project?) but this was
expected
and I fixed it.

Wolfgang

* Re: New module - mkiv font loading
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-05-16 16:23 ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-05-16 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

Sorry to hassle you again, but I have a quick question.  I'm using

Creator:        ConTeXt - 2008.10.31 13:58
Producer:       luaTeX-0.30.3

as a few things don't work with a recent release, and I get the
following errors;

! Undefined control sequence.
l.50   \setinterfacemessage
                            {simplefonts}{title}{simplefonts}
?
! Undefined control sequence.
l.51   \setinterfacemessage
                            {simplefonts}{1}    {font -- not found}
?

Are they important?  If not I'll simply ignore them with --batchmode.

@ 2009-05-16 16:30   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-16 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mohamed Bana wrote:

> Creator:        ConTeXt - 2008.10.31 13:58

way too old for this

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-16 16:36   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-16 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can comment the lines 56–59 and the message will disappear.

I expect from users who want to use mkiv to have always a recent context
version on their system, in mkii i try to be compatible with older
versions
but this is not always possible.

Wolfgang