* lua lpeg + utf8
@ 2019-01-06 17:53 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2019-01-06 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

best wishes for (the still new) 2019! My question is not strictly a
ConTeXt problem, but about the way luatex (and pure Lua) can handle utf8
in lpeg. Here is my Lua example:

mystring = "abcdeφὴὰabcde"

local replace_table = {
   a = "y",
   c = "z",
   ὴ = "ή",
   ὰ = "ά",
}

function replace(s)
	local patt = (lpeg.Cs(1)) / replace_table
	local parser = lpeg.Cs((patt + 1)^0)
	t = parser:match(s)
	return t
end

newstring = replace(mystring)

print(newstring)

This will successfully replace "a" and "c," but not "ὴ" or "ὰ" because
lpeg.Cs(1) sees only the first byte of these multibyte characters. Pure
Lua complains with an error message; luatex runs, but does not do the
replacement. What would be a good way to work around this limitation?

All best

Thomas

* Re: lua lpeg + utf8
@ 2019-01-06 18:20 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-01-06 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz schrieb am 06.01.19 um 18:53:
> Hi everybody,
>
> best wishes for (the still new) 2019! My question is not strictly a
> ConTeXt problem, but about the way luatex (and pure Lua) can handle utf8
> in lpeg. Here is my Lua example:
>
> mystring = "abcdeφὴὰabcde"
>
> local replace_table = {
>    a = "y",
>    c = "z",
>    ὴ = "ή",
>    ὰ = "ά",
> }
>
> function replace(s)
>      local patt = (lpeg.Cs(1)) / replace_table
>      local parser = lpeg.Cs((patt + 1)^0)
>      t = parser:match(s)
>      return t
> end
>
> newstring = replace(mystring)
>
> print(newstring)
>
> This will successfully replace "a" and "c," but not "ὴ" or "ὰ" because
> lpeg.Cs(1) sees only the first byte of these multibyte characters. Pure
> Lua complains with an error message; luatex runs, but does not do the
> replacement. What would be a good way to work around this limitation?

Below is a modified version of the example on page 103 of the ConTeXt
Lua Documents (cld-mkiv.pdf) manual.

\starttext

\startluacode

print("abcdeφὴὰabcde")

local remap = utf.remapper { a = "y", c = "z", ὴ = "ή", ὰ = "ά" }

print(remap("abcdeφὴὰabcde"))

\stopluacode

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: lua lpeg + utf8
@ 2019-01-06 19:14   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2019-01-06 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06.01.19 19:20, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> \starttext
>
> \startluacode
>
> print("abcdeφὴὰabcde")
>
> local remap = utf.remapper { a = "y", c = "z", ὴ = "ή", ὰ = "ά" }
>
> print(remap("abcdeφὴὰabcde"))
>
> \stopluacode
>
> \stoptext

Wolfgang, thank you, I should have looked into this manual! Is there an
easy way to load the necessary additional libraries if I'm running
luatex alone, outside of mtxrun?

Thomas

* Re: lua lpeg + utf8
@ 2019-01-06 22:08     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-01-06 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 06.01.19 19:20, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> \starttext
>>
>> \startluacode
>>
>> print("abcdeφὴὰabcde")
>>
>> local remap = utf.remapper { a = "y", c = "z", ὴ = "ή", ὰ = "ά" }
>>
>> print(remap("abcdeφὴὰabcde"))
>>
>> \stopluacode
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang, thank you, I should have looked into this manual! Is there an
> easy way to load the necessary additional libraries if I'm running
> luatex alone, outside of mtxrun?
what do you mean with "running luatex alone" ; you can run scripts with

mtxrun --script yourscript foo.txt

(or do you mean something different)

Hans

* Re: lua lpeg + utf8
@ 2019-01-06 22:40       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2019-01-06 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06.01.19 23:08, Hans Hagen wrote:
> what do you mean with "running luatex alone" ; you can run scripts with
>
> mtxrun --script yourscript foo.txt
>
> (or do you mean something different)

Hi Hans,

thanks, this is what I meant! I guess I was trying to reinvent the wheel
and doing things in pure Lua, but processing utf8 is indeed much easier
with all the context functions. So thanks, I hope I can take it from here!

Thomas