From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
	Jano Kula <jano.kula@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: font fallback hook (alphabet suspects)
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 21:58:56 +0100	[thread overview]

On 1/29/2021 8:29 PM, Jano Kula wrote:

> There are some Greek, Hebrew, etc. words used in the text. While
> proofreading, the editor would like to check these words separately
> (glyphs from different alphabets, unusual symbols, ...), so I'd like to
> typeset the warning (margin note), where these words are located. To
> avoid usual markup \greek{ὀρφανῖος} it could be useful to typeset a
> margin note whenever the defined fallback is called.
>
> The unfamiliar symbols could be in the main font and no fallback would
> be called then (one can still define the fallback with the main font as
> in the MWE, bold used for the illustration), but you might have a better
> ideas how to point out these suspects.
>
> The margin note is ment for searching PDF where one cannot search for
> color (basic viewer), which could be the other approach (also visible in
> print). I think, the color could be achieved with finalizers. One should
> also think of hyphenation and l2r/r2l direction, so in the end the usual
> approach might be the best way.
>
> You might use other approaches, how to deal with suspects of this type.
> Below the MWE for font fallbacks with distribution fonts.
>
> Not critical, just looking for ideas.
Already there for ages ... testsuite goodies-002.tex + demo.lfg shows
how to color your special characters ... one of the probably many
unknown features -)

There's also this:

\enabletrackers[fonts.missing=replace]

\startTEXpage
     Jano uses \char 12345.
\stopTEXpage

and of course you then watch the log ... (at the meeting Ton showed
other proofing tricks).

Hans