* presentation failure
@ 2003-02-25 10:02 Maarten Sneep
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Maarten Sneep @ 2003-02-25 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I tried to begin a presentation, and tried to learn from the best (Hans Hagen
in this case ;-)

However, I get a failure with the minimal test case below. Some (I think
relevant) fragments of the logs are included (sorry for the long mail).

I'm using TeXLive with a recent version of context (see dates in the log). Is
this a symptom of updating only part of the setup? If so: what parts should I
update to get things to work?

Some of you may recall that I had trouble with the pos fonts on teTeX a while
ago. I switched to TeXLive and there it works. Will try to find out if the
problem is related to Mac OS X or teTeX.

Kind regards,

Maarten Sneep

%% With file
\setupencoding[default=ec]
\useencoding[ec]
\usetypescript[berry][ec]
\setupcolors[status=start]
\setupbodyfont[pos]
\usemodule[pre-04]

\starttext
\StartTitlePage
Cavity Ring-Down Spectroscopy on Atmospheric Species
\StopTitlePage

\Topic{Introduction: Atmospheric Measurements}
        \Subject{Sciamachy, OMI, GOME}
\stoptext

%% I get a few errors, the metapost/metafun graphics do not compile
%% (see error at the end of the following log)

Some relevant pieces of the log (total log is rather long).

 TeXExec 3.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : talk
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.7x)
entering extended mode
(./talk.tex{/usr/local/teTeX/texmf-var/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2003.1.31  fmt: 2003.2.25  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/local/teTeX/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!

[lots of lines deleted]

 TeXExec 3.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

              metapost : mpgraph
                format : metafun
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.7x)
(mpgraph.mp
>> spotcolors
>> true
! Equation cannot be performed (numeric=boolean).
<to be read again>
                   ;
l.23 spotcolors := true ;

?

[I type x, because I do not know what to do]

 TeXUtil 7.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2002

                action : processing commands, lists and registers
                option : sorting IJ under Y
                option : converting high ASCII values
            input file : talk.tui
           output file : talk.tuo
       passed commands : 24
         remapped keys : 0
      register entries : 0 -> 0 entries 0 references
       synonym entries : 0 -> 0 entries
        embedded files : 1

 utility file analysis : another run needed
               TeX run : 2

* Re: presentation failure
@ 2003-02-25 13:44 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2003-02-25 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:02:42 +0100
Maarten Sneep <sneep@nat.vu.nl> wrote:

                 format : metafun
> This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.7x)
> (mpgraph.mp
> >> spotcolors
> >> true
> ! Equation cannot be performed (numeric=boolean).
> <to be read again>
>                    ;
> l.23 spotcolors := true ;

MetaFun is not matching the used ConTeXt version. Do you
have rebuilt the metafun-format?

texexec --make --alone metafun

and move the mem-file in your web2c directory.
A while ago Hans has chenged the location of the MetaFun modules
in the texmf-tree. Thus, check if the right modules are found.

Jens

* Re: presentation failure
@ 2003-02-25 13:47   ` Maarten Sneep
From: Maarten Sneep @ 2003-02-25 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 14:44, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
> MetaFun is not matching the used ConTeXt version. Do you
> have rebuilt the metafun-format?

I suspected something like this.

> A while ago Hans has chenged the location of the MetaFun modules
> in the texmf-tree. Thus, check if the right modules are found.

I'll double check that. Thanks for the confimation.

Kind regards,

Maarten

* Re: presentation failure
@ 2003-02-25 13:54 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-02-25 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I tried to begin a presentation, and tried to learn from the best (Hans
Hagen
> in this case ;-)
>
> However, I get a failure with the minimal test case below. Some (I think
> relevant) fragments of the logs are included (sorry for the long mail).
>
> I'm using TeXLive with a recent version of context (see dates in the log).
Is
> this a symptom of updating only part of the setup? If so: what parts
should I
> update to get things to work?
>
> Some of you may recall that I had trouble with the pos fonts on teTeX a
while
> ago. I switched to TeXLive and there it works. Will try to find out if the
> problem is related to Mac OS X or teTeX.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Maarten Sneep
>
> %% With file
> \setupencoding[default=ec]
> \useencoding[ec]
> \usetypescript[berry][ec]
> \setupcolors[status=start]
> \setupbodyfont[pos]
> \usemodule[pre-04]
>
> \starttext
> \StartTitlePage
> Cavity Ring-Down Spectroscopy on Atmospheric Species
> \StopTitlePage
>
> \Topic{Introduction: Atmospheric Measurements}
>         \Subject{Sciamachy, OMI, GOME}
> \stoptext
>
> %% I get a few errors, the metapost/metafun graphics do not compile
> %% (see error at the end of the following log)

Your code compiles without problems here (except for the pos fonts).
Are zour formats of the same version of context?

texexec --make en metafun

Willi

* Re: presentation failure
@ 2003-02-25 16:40   ` Robbie Pickering
From: Robbie Pickering @ 2003-02-25 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:

>MetaFun is not matching the used ConTeXt version. Do you
>have rebuilt the metafun-format?
>
>texexec --make --alone metafun
>
>and move the mem-file in your web2c directory.
>A while ago Hans has chenged the location of the MetaFun modules
>in the texmf-tree. Thus, check if the right modules are found.
>
>Jens

My MetaFun has never worked until now, thanks to this tip it now does!
Hooray!

* Re: presentation failure
@ 2003-02-26  0:39 ` Guo Yang
From: Guo Yang @ 2003-02-26  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

As far as I know this problem is caused by the old metapost macro files.
Check this directory: '$TEXMF/metapost/context' and see if you have same
*.mp files in this directory as well as in the directory
'$TEXMF/metapost/context/base'. If you do, which I believe you must:),
delete all the mp files in '$TEXMF/metapost/context', refresh the name
database and regenerate the metafun format file as other people have
suggested. Everything should be fine after this.

Good Luck,

Guo

* Re: presentation failure
@ 2003-02-26 11:11   ` Maarten Sneep
From: Maarten Sneep @ 2003-02-26 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 01:39, you wrote:
> As far as I know this problem is caused by the old metapost macro files.
> Check this directory: '$TEXMF/metapost/context' and see if you have same
> *.mp files in this directory as well as in the directory
> '$TEXMF/metapost/context/base'. If you do, which I believe you must:),
> delete all the mp files in '$TEXMF/metapost/context', refresh the name
> database and regenerate the metafun format file as other people have
> suggested. Everything should be fine after this.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Guo

And everything was fine after this.

Thanks,