* How to make a stretched pdf file
@ 2009-05-22 14:48 Zhichu Chen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2009-05-22 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys,

This may sound crazy, but I have to do a presentation with a stretched
output.

The thing is, I have a laptop with a normal screen, and it'll be plugged to
a very big wide screen monitor so that people can see the slides on the
big screen. I have to look at my laptop and present for the people, so
what I'm thinking is make a stretched output on my 4:3 screen which
looks very narrowed and then the effect on the screen will be just as
normal.

Is there an easy option for this?

--
Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: How to make a stretched pdf file
@ 2009-05-22 15:55 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-05-22 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> This may sound crazy, but I have to do a presentation with a stretched
> output.
>
> The thing is, I have a laptop with a normal screen, and it'll be plugged to
> a very big wide screen monitor so that people can see the slides on the
> big screen. I have to look at my laptop and present for the people, so
> what I'm thinking is make a stretched output on my 4:3 screen which
> looks very narrowed and then the effect on the screen will be just as
> normal.
>
> Is there an easy option for this?

hmm are you sure that there isn't a way to
choose a graphic mode for you output that do what you want ?
Otherwise, maybe you can make a pdf -> ps,
apply a matrix transformation with ghostscript  to this ps and reconvert to
pdf
Or you can use something like
\starttext
\starTEXPage
\externalfigure[slides.pdf][page=1,width=...,height=...]\page
\externalfigure[slides.pdf][page=2,width=...,height=...]\page
\externalfigure[slides.pdf][page=3,width=...,height=...]\page
\externalfigure[slides.pdf][page=4,width=...,height=...]\page
\stopTEXPage
\stoptext

--
luigi

* Re: How to make a stretched pdf file
@ 2009-05-22 16:08 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-22 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.05.2009 um 16:48 schrieb Zhichu Chen:

> Hi guys,
>
> This may sound crazy, but I have to do a presentation with a stretched
> output.
>
> The thing is, I have a laptop with a normal screen, and it'll be
> plugged to
> a very big wide screen monitor so that people can see the slides on
> the
> big screen. I have to look at my laptop and present for the people, so
> what I'm thinking is make a stretched output on my 4:3 screen which
> looks very narrowed and then the effect on the screen will be just as
> normal.
>
> Is there an easy option for this?

\setuppapersize[SM|SW] or a papersize with the the same width/height
ratio as the projector.

Wolfgang

* Re: How to make a stretched pdf file
@ 2009-05-22 16:32   ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2009-05-22 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, since it's a presentation, I really have some "cool" style to
show by using
javascript. I think including separated pages will jeopardize it.

@ 2009-05-22 16:46     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-05-22 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, since it's a presentation, I really have some "cool" style to
> show by using
> javascript. I think including separated pages will jeopardize it.

Ah, ok
I don't know  -- I have a little experience with javascript but if you can
send me your pdf
I can check if javascripts fail , just for curiosity .

--
luigi

* Re: How to make a stretched pdf file
@ 2009-05-22 16:47   ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2009-05-22 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 22.05.2009 um 16:48 schrieb Zhichu Chen:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> This may sound crazy, but I have to do a presentation with a stretched
>> output.
>>
>> The thing is, I have a laptop with a normal screen, and it'll be plugged
>> a very big wide screen monitor so that people can see the slides on the
>> big screen. I have to look at my laptop and present for the people, so
>> what I'm thinking is make a stretched output on my 4:3 screen which
>> looks very narrowed and then the effect on the screen will be just as
>> normal.
>>
>> Is there an easy option for this?
>
> \setuppapersize[SM|SW] or a papersize with the the same width/height ratio
> as the projector.

That won't go well. The projector is as stupid as it could be. It will honestly
send what's shown on my laptop to the screen only stretch it to a special
ratio. If I make a wide screen version. It will be a wide version on my laptop
with the header and footer cut, I mean it won't fill my laptop screen. Then
the projector will produce a wide version on a wide ratio. It'll be 256:100
rather than 16:10. Still not what I wanted.

@ 2009-05-22 16:49       ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2009-05-22 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 12:46 AM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well, since it's a presentation, I really have some "cool" style to
>> show by using
>> javascript. I think including separated pages will jeopardize it.
>
> Ah, ok
> I don't know  -- I have a little experience with javascript but if you can
> send me your pdf
> I can check if javascripts fail , just for curiosity .
Sure of course. Thank you very much. I'll make a personal mail in case
for the attached file.

@ 2009-05-22 16:54     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-22 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.05.2009 um 18:47 schrieb Zhichu Chen:

>>> Is there an easy option for this?
>>
>> \setuppapersize[SM|SW] or a papersize with the the same width/
>> height ratio
>> as the projector.
>
> That won't go well. The projector is as stupid as it could be. It
> will honestly
> send what's shown on my laptop to the screen only stretch it to a
> special
> ratio. If I make a wide screen version. It will be a wide version on
> my laptop
> with the header and footer cut, I mean it won't fill my laptop
> screen. Then
> the projector will produce a wide version on a wide ratio. It'll be
> 256:100
> rather than 16:10. Still not what I wanted.

Can't you set the same resolution on your laptop as the projector has,
the layout on your laptop is then deformed but the screen version is
correct.

Wolfgang

* Re: How to make a stretched pdf file
@ 2009-05-22 16:55     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-05-22 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, since it's a presentation, I really have some "cool" style to
> show by using
> javascript. I think including separated pages will jeopardize it.

and what about pdf -> ps ->(some transformations) ps -> pdf ?
--
luigi

* Re: How to make a stretched pdf file
@ 2009-05-22 17:03       ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2009-05-22 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> \setuppapersize[SM|SW] or a papersize with the the same width/height
>>> ratio
>>> as the projector.
>>
>> That won't go well. The projector is as stupid as it could be. It will
>> honestly
>> send what's shown on my laptop to the screen only stretch it to a special
>> ratio. If I make a wide screen version. It will be a wide version on my
>> laptop
>> with the header and footer cut, I mean it won't fill my laptop screen.
>> Then
>> the projector will produce a wide version on a wide ratio. It'll be
>> 256:100
>> rather than 16:10. Still not what I wanted.
>
> Can't you set the same resolution on your laptop as the projector has,
> the layout on your laptop is then deformed but the screen version is
> correct.

Well, that's a good idea. But actually, that's not really "my" laptop so
I can't test it right now.

I hope the notebook is not too old (which I assume it can be) to support
a wide screen resolution.

@ 2009-05-22 17:04       ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2009-05-22 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 12:55 AM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Zhichu Chen <zhichu.chen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well, since it's a presentation, I really have some "cool" style to
>> show by using
>> javascript. I think including separated pages will jeopardize it.
>
> and what about pdf -> ps ->(some transformations) ps -> pdf ?

I don't know. I hope I can find an easy way. By easy, I mean
simple and comfortable. ;)

@ 2009-05-22 17:10         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-22 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zhichu Chen wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> That won't go well. The projector is as stupid as it could be. It will
>>> honestly
>>> send what's shown on my laptop to the screen only stretch it to a special
>>> ratio. If I make a wide screen version. It will be a wide version on my
>>> laptop
>>> with the header and footer cut, I mean it won't fill my laptop screen.
>>> Then
>>> the projector will produce a wide version on a wide ratio. It'll be
>>> 256:100
>>> rather than 16:10. Still not what I wanted.
>> Can't you set the same resolution on your laptop as the projector has,
>> the layout on your laptop is then deformed but the screen version is
>> correct.
>
> Well, that's a good idea. But actually, that's not really "my" laptop so
> I can't test it right now.
>
> I hope the notebook is not too old (which I assume it can be) to support
> a wide screen resolution.

set your laptop at the desired (i.e. projector) resolution before
connecting it to the beamer i.e. don't let the beamer try to be clever
and talk to the laptop ... just letting the laptop lie to the beamer
that it has a matching resolution is often safer; it is seldom a problem
if the presentation on the your laptop screen is somewhat deformed

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-22 17:43 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-22 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.05.2009 um 16:48 schrieb Zhichu Chen:

> Hi guys,
>
> This may sound crazy, but I have to do a presentation with a stretched
> output.
>
> The thing is, I have a laptop with a normal screen, and it'll be
> plugged to
> a very big wide screen monitor so that people can see the slides on
> the
> big screen. I have to look at my laptop and present for the people, so
> what I'm thinking is make a stretched output on my 4:3 screen which
> looks very narrowed and then the effect on the screen will be just as
> normal.
>
> Is there an easy option for this?

That was a nice exercise, here is a solution with a rather new mechanism
Hans wrote for me.

\definepapersize[fake][SW]          [SW]
\definepapersize[real][A5,landscape][A5,landscape]

\setuppapersize[fake]

\installpagehandler{deform}%
   {\dowithnextbox
      {\setuppapersize[real]
       \actualshipout{\scale[width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight]
{\flushnextbox}}
       \setuppapersize[fake]}
    \normalhbox}

\setuppaper[method=deform]

\starttext

\subject{Tufte}

\input tufte

\page

\subject{Knuth}

\input knuth

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: How to make a stretched pdf file
@ 2009-05-23  1:59   ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2009-05-23  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Awesome, but still, the javascript things are gone :(

Anyway, I'll try the resolution method.

By the way, is there any chance that I can use a stretched font without
disturbing the output routine? I think I can try a narrow font and re-draw
my pictures.

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Wolfgang Schuster

@ 2009-05-23  6:39     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-23  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.05.2009 um 03:59 schrieb Zhichu Chen:

> Awesome, but still, the javascript things are gone :(

I feared something like this will happen, I guess you get also
problems with hyperlinks etc.

> Anyway, I'll try the resolution method.

+1

> By the way, is there any chance that I can use a stretched font
> without
> disturbing the output routine? I think I can try a narrow font and
> re-draw
> my pictures.

AFAIK XeTeX has such a feature but is the presentation worth such
tricks.

Wolfgang